Contributory Aged Parent Visa queries

Guest Australianinwaiting

Hi All

I am new here, so hello! My hubbie, daughter and I have decided to move to Australia. We are hoping that as my hubbie's job is on the preferred skills list, we should be able to get a permanent residency visa (fingers crossed).

The query is about my parents. I am an only child and therefore my parents want to come to Australia with us. My dad is 65 and mum is 67, both in good health and are able to cover the contributory payment. Either hubbie or I will act as their sponsor in Australia, but the issue is timing.

I am very close to my parents and want them to come to Australia as soon as possible. I believe usually there has to be a 12-24 month settling in period for the sponsor or family member before they can apply for their family members to have residency. Is there any way that my parents could travel to Australia before this and then apply from Australia for their Contributory Aged Parents Visa (Permament)? Perhaps a tourist visa or a temporary visa? Would that be possible?

I am sure this is the first of many queries I will have, so thanks in advance!

Do your parents want to come to Australia because they want to come or are they only coming because you are coming? It can be very difficult both financially and socially to start again, away from your social network and your entitlements once you get over 60. If they are young and outgoing then they may make a go of it but if they are just going to be reliant on you and increasingly isolated then you would have to question whether this is going to be the best route for them.

For the price of a CPV visa they could have almost endless holidays in Aus - 6 months here and 6 months there which might be a longer term better option. I too am an only child and that is the route that my parents took and were very happy in doing so because they still had their "home" social network and the chance to travel to Europe in their retirement and still to play golf here for half a year as well. They had enough money as well to build a granny flat on our block which gave them independence while they stayed - their UK pension wasnt frozen and they have excellent NHS support now they are almost 90.

Just a thought - emigration for the elderly isnt always a wise move. Anyway, you have to have permanent residence and evidence of being settled so you probably wont be doing anything for a couple of years anyway.

Guest The Pom Queen

I have recently been looking in to this for my mother. We had a couple of options one was a 676 where mum could come and stay for 12 months, leave the country a month before and come back in for another 12 months. This sounded a great way the only worry was that they could add a 8503 condition at any time which would stop mum applying for the other visa that she looked in to which was an aged parent 804 Aged Parent (Residence) Visa (Subclass 804)

Now this may be another option for when you have your PR, as far as I know it comes with a bridging visa which allows your parents to stay until the application has been granted.

Now please note I am not a migration agent just someone who has looked in to this for her own mother.

It is a big move for them, I know my mum is in a turmoil as she doesn't want to be reliant on us but she knows it will be difficult for her to make friends at her age.

Hi all.

Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming.

I think I should perhaps explain a bit more about my parents. My mum retired at 60 but my dad has only recently retired. They have been discussing their plans for the last couple of years and had thought of moving abroad, although obviously not Australia due to the immigration rules. Their main issue was us, as would have remained in Britain and they would have missed us hugely so the whole emmigration idea had been put on hold. Then Hubbie and I decided to try and move to Australia so it fitted in well with them.

They emmigrated themselves (not to Australia) in the early 1970's but decided to return to Britain when they decided to start a family as the country they moved to was not particularly stable. They therefore have a better idea of what leaving Britain would be like than us. Their friends are scattered across the country and they largely communicate with them via e-mail, which would remain the same if we moved to Australia. I am therefore thrilled that my parents want to move with us, and not worried about their motivations. Spending six months a part a year would break their (and my) hearts and simply isn't for us.

I am very interested in the bridging visa, and will try and check it out, but any further information or alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again all

Hi all.

Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming.

I think I should perhaps explain a bit more about my parents. My mum retired at 60 but my dad has only recently retired. They have been discussing their plans for the last couple of years and had thought of moving abroad, although obviously not Australia due to the immigration rules. Their main issue was us, as would have remained in Britain and they would have missed us hugely so the whole emmigration idea had been put on hold. Then Hubbie and I decided to try and move to Australia so it fitted in well with them.

They emmigrated themselves (not to Australia) in the early 1970's but decided to return to Britain when they decided to start a family as the country they moved to was not particularly stable. They therefore have a better idea of what leaving Britain would be like than us. Their friends are scattered across the country and they largely communicate with them via e-mail, which would remain the same if we moved to Australia. I am therefore thrilled that my parents want to move with us, and not worried about their motivations. Spending six months a part a year would break their (and my) hearts and simply isn't for us.

I am very interested in the bridging visa, and will try and check it out, but any further information or alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again all

As already mentioned on here, you would only be able to sponsor your parents for a visa when you are considered 'setled' usually a period of 2 year, although they take into consideration things like whether you have a house, car, children in school etc.

Once you emigrate to Australia, would it not be possible for your parents to visit you on a tourist visa? It is possible to get a tourist visa for up to 12 months.

It is actually not legal to travel to Australia with the sole purpose of emigrating, although some people do and then apply onshore for the Contributory Aged Parent visa. You need to be aware that while they are waiting for their visa to be granted they will not be eligible for full Medicare rights (equivalent of our NHS) and private healthcare can be expensive. I am not sure how long this visa is taking to be processed, but the CPV 143 is taking about 18 months. Also if they fail the medical they will not get their visa. There is also the risk that they may have a 'no further stay' condition put on their visitor visa, which would prevent them from applying for the Aged CPV onshore.

Why not get them to visit you till you are settled and then apply for the CPV 143 offshore. They can still visit while they are waiting for this to be processed. They can get a visitor visa for 3, 6 or 12 months.

A good place to start is here:

Family - Visas & Immigration

Also download Booklet 3 from www.immi.gov.au which gives more information. There is also a Parent Visa thread on here with lots of knowledgeable people.

Just another point: Did they apply for citizenship while they were previously in Australia?

Dear Linday,

I am so stupid. It never occured to me that they could travel over on tourist visas for at least part of the waiting period. Would they be able to come on tourist visas once their CPV applications were submitted?

My parents didn't emigrate to Australia, so have never applied for residency before.

Thanks all

Dear Linday,

I am so stupid. It never occured to me that they could travel over on tourist visas for at least part of the waiting period. Would they be able to come on tourist visas once their CPV applications were submitted?

My parents didn't emigrate to Australia, so have never applied for residency before.

Thanks all

Yes, of course, they will be able to visit you on a tourist visa while they are waiting for their CPV to be processed and lots of parents do this. They could apply for the ETA Touris visa (3 months) or the 676 tourist visa which allows stays of 3 , 6 or 12 months. They just need to make sure that they inform DIAC when they travel to Australia, so that their visa is not granted while they are in Australia, as they need to be offshore. This shouldn't happen though as they will hear first from a case officer asking for police checks and medicals etc.

If you have any more queries, there is a great Parent visa thread as a sticky on here with lots of helpful, knowledgeable people.

Archived