Guest peacock

Juliar Gillard

Guest guest59177

C'mon people. Other than the carbon tax, WHAT do you see wrong in Prime Minister Julia Gillard???

C'mon people. Other than the carbon tax, WHAT do you see wrong in Prime Minister Julia Gillard???

I see nothing wrong with her and I admire her strength to carry on, that is what I want a strong leader who will not be deterred by bad press. Not someone who goes with the flow.

Lets face it think about it, the only difference the libs would make is to bring back work choices which was terrible for our young workers and unskilled workers they bore the brunt of the bad legislation. Also they would not be brave enough to address our climate problems in the world despite other countries doing so. They would continue the middle class welfare we cannot afford.

Labour parties are never popular here because everytime they are the one that makes the big changes and the libs just carry on the coat tails afterwards.

Its happening in Victoria, our libs are taking kudos for things that were put in place prior to their gaining power, what have they done made nothing they are still looking into the crystal ball.

Our future lies with Asia and we need politician s that get on with Asian people.

I am ashamed that so many females knock Julia when they should be supporting her and I assume its the usual jealousy thing. She is not the first female pollie we have had and they have all had the same thing happen.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Makes rash decisions, fails to consult like Rudd, and she is just an obnoxious person, who will go down in history as the most hated & incompetent PM ever. Can't wait to see her gone. About 30 of us are aready planning a party for her dismissal. Also she is a downright liar.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." Bill Gates 1981

Got help Oz with the idiots waiting in the wings if she steps down.

Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

Got help Oz with the idiots waiting in the wings if she steps down.

She wan't step down, she loves the power too much, no she will be stabbed in the back, just like Rudd. That's the way the power brokers work here in Australia.

Guest guest59177
Makes rash decisions, fails to consult like Rudd, and she is just an obnoxious person, who will go down in history as the most hated & incompetent PM ever. Can't wait to see her gone. About 30 of us are aready planning a party for her dismissal. Also she is a downright liar.

FAILS to consult like Rudd??? For your information, Kevin Rudd was ousted EXACTLY because he was a draconian dictator who didn't believe in forming consensus, prefering instead to enforce his policies. His mining tax was a hot-headed, one-sided attempt - although a good attempt - at reigning in the mining sector. Look what became of him. This just goes on to show that people are disliking poor Julia Gillard out of pure spite and baseless whims.

For the record, I DO think handing over the mining sector (and in turn most of the economy) to foreign profiteers is a bad decision. The mining tax would have ensured that Australia gets more of the pie that's made out of her lands. Hmmm maybe Prime Minister Julia Gillard can get that one down too. That oughta show people...

I agree with the mining tax after all the money was/is to go to education and health both needing a serious cash injection. We were two million in Melbourne 20 years ago we are now four million and the hospitals have not got any bigger and the call on them is enormous.

My mum is in hospital at the moment, she spent about an hour outside the hospital getting into the emergency department, that was a short wait, then 24 hours on a trolley waiting for a bed in a medical ward. She is 92 and her situation was not urgent hence the wait. I am visiting her daily and every time there are six or seven ambulances waiting to get into the ED. These are ambulances who are off the road for others that may need them.

So mining tax is not frivolous it can make a big difference to people's lives in Australia.

Petals

Guest guest59177

Actually, given how the mining consortium put the government on the backfoot last year, I think an outright tax might not be so fruitful. We need to look into the root cause of HOW the sector managed such a feat. And the way I see it, the root cause is an unconstrainted foreign consortium who have an unbridled capcity to threaten the government with flight of capital. And the way I see to break this oligopoly is the creation of strong and purely Australian mining companies who wouldn't be looking at taking money outside Australia at a profit.

That these miners have such a power is saddening and the entire situation seems akin to the oil sheikhs and their petrochemical wealth. All the major oil companies in that region are foreign based and the oil sheikhs are forever at the mercy of foreign governments. One would imagine that Australia would be a lot different.

Finally, the government needs to diversify the economy at an urgent basis so that it isn't entirely dependent on mining. One avenue to explore is how to bring down costs on manufacturing to ensure that sector can be highly profitable and contribute to exports as well...

Actually, given how the mining consortium put the government on the backfoot last year, I think an outright tax might not be so fruitful. We need to look into the root cause of HOW the sector managed such a feat. And the way I see it, the root cause is an unconstrainted foreign consortium who have an unbridled capcity to threaten the government with flight of capital. And the way I see to break this oligopoly is the creation of strong and purely Australian mining companies who wouldn't be looking at taking money outside Australia at a profit.

That these miners have such a power is saddening and the entire situation seems akin to the oil sheikhs and their petrochemical wealth. All the major oil companies in that region are foreign based and the oil sheikhs are forever at the mercy of foreign governments. One would imagine that Australia would be a lot different.

Finally, the government needs to diversify the economy at an urgent basis so that it isn't entirely dependent on mining. One avenue to explore is how to bring down costs on manufacturing to ensure that sector can be highly profitable and contribute to exports as well...

Agree but not going to happen.

"Manufacturing" what a dirty word, not in either parties vocabulary. As for "assistance" even dirtier word.

Its actually "research and development" that needs the cash and we should be pursuing it but again its a no no and especially with the liberal party. I know people in research and they have to beg for funds no wonder they head overseas. My friend's son is in the US in research and he says he is never coming back here. Cannot say I blame him.

Petals

Guest guest59177
Agree but not going to happen.

"Manufacturing" what a dirty word, not in either parties vocabulary. As for "assistance" even dirtier word.

Its actually "research and development" that needs the cash and we should be pursuing it but again its a no no and especially with the liberal party. I know people in research and they have to beg for funds no wonder they head overseas. My friend's son is in the US in research and he says he is never coming back here. Cannot say I blame him.

Well, the Americans tried to create a 'service economy' sans manufacturing and look where they stand. I expressed similar views on another forum and an American there was wondering if they could reinstate manufacturing in America... I do think the concept of 'Knowledge Economy' sans manufacturing is a pipe dream. I am NOT talking about replicating China's model of manufacturing. What I wanted to say is that research should be done to create innovative new products that the whole worlds NEEDS and ways should be found to automate manufacturing as much as possible thus creating low cost, bleeding edge, HIGH QUALITY products that become the face of brandname Australia.

FAILS to consult like Rudd??? For your information, Kevin Rudd was ousted EXACTLY because he was a draconian dictator who didn't believe in forming consensus, prefering instead to enforce his policies. His mining tax was a hot-headed, one-sided attempt - although a good attempt - at reigning in the mining sector. Look what became of him. This just goes on to show that people are disliking poor Julia Gillard out of pure spite and baseless whims.

For the record, I DO think handing over the mining sector (and in turn most of the economy) to foreign profiteers is a bad decision. The mining tax would have ensured that Australia gets more of the pie that's made out of her lands. Hmmm maybe Prime Minister Julia Gillard can get that one down too. That oughta show people...

I meant fail to consult like Rudd failed to consult.

Guest guest59177
I meant fail to consult like Rudd failed to consult.

Thanks for that clarification. My bad :embarrassed: