Am I allowed???

munchbaby99

When I go to oz in nov for a holiday I will obviously have an ETA. Am I allowed to conduct any business at all?? I'm not going to be working but I would like to know if I'm able to set up any interviews or go to recruitment agencies? I will be coming back home after my holiday with the intention of going back to live and work (hopefully getting a 457) at a later date.

How strict are they on the ETA?

Thanks

Katie

Hoping for a move to oz in the coming year or two.......hoping not three!

Guest Harry A

I dont think there is a problem in talikg to agencies and companys! Get the feelers out and when you get back it will give you some idea in what you have to do.

Great profile picture, lets hope they smash the Hammers this weekend!

If that's really his picture I don't think he'll have any trouble at all getting one of the A-league teams to sponsor him! :biglaugh:

Unfortunately I'm not stevie g in disguise so will be unlikely to be able to get a job in one of the a league teams!!!

It'll be good if I can get to some employers out there whilst I'm on an ETA otherwise it all seems to be a bit chicken and egg!! Too old for a WHV otherwise I would have looked at that.

There is nothing to stop you meeting agents or possibly attending interviews on the ETA.

Just don't announce at immigration that the purpose of your trip is to seek employment. It's a holiday. :laugh:

Thanks pumpkin, will potential employers not want to see any paperwork? Was going to email stuff to my sister anyway so I wouldn't be carrying anything! But I was just thinking original docs of stuff.

Guest MarkandVerlie

If you get stopped and searched at immigration, and you have copies of CV's and certificates on you, It may be hard to argue that the sole purpose of your stay is tourism, which is a condition of ETA's.

If you get stopped and searched at immigration, and you have copies of CV's and certificates on you, It may be hard to argue that the sole purpose of your stay is tourism, which is a condition of ETA's.

I wasn't planning on bringing any cvs or anything like that, as I said I will email everything to my sister (who we are coming to stay with) I also watch nothing to declare (border security) and I see how they are, I will just be declaring the hula hoops and marmite that my sis will no doubt demand 

There are two requirements:

1. You don't work.

2. Your sole purpose is a holiday.

So interviews and all is not work.

And for the latter, well, try to be smart :) It not a VERY BIG deal in any case. But on an ethical note finding job shouldn't be your sole purpose for holidaying in Australia :P

There are two requirements:

1. You don't work.

2. Your sole purpose is a holiday.

So interviews and all is not work.

And for the latter, well, try to be smart :) It not a VERY BIG deal in any case. But on an ethical note finding job shouldn't be your sole purpose for holidaying in Australia :P

I'm going to visit sister rather than 'holiday' in oz and my future intention is to move so a part of that is getting a job as I can't go on a 175/176, my only way is a 457 so I have to put myself out there.

I don't want to do anything that will get me in trouble and jeopardise any further visa that I apply for.

On Border Security last night there was a case where the bloke (American) was refused entry. The Immigration woman said that the definition of work was "anything that an Australian could be paid for".

I suspect that visiting potential employers/agencies etc should be ok but keep quiet about it and keep all of your documents (CV, copies of certificates, qualifications etc) on your email so you only need to go to an internet cafe to download them to a flash drive...and dont even bring one of them - just go to a shop when you get here.

Having said that, I didnt do anything until I got here and got a job in 2 weeks. It depends what you do of course but I havent met any people who spent more than a few weeks unemployed.

On Border Security last night there was a case where the bloke (American) was refused entry. The Immigration woman said that the definition of work was "anything that an Australian could be paid for".

I suspect that visiting potential employers/agencies etc should be ok but keep quiet about it and keep all of your documents (CV, copies of certificates, qualifications etc) on your email so you only need to go to an internet cafe to download them to a flash drive...and dont even bring one of them - just go to a shop when you get here.

Having said that, I didnt do anything until I got here and got a job in 2 weeks. It depends what you do of course but I havent met any people who spent more than a few weeks unemployed.

Bogan, my issue is that in order to get there I need a 457 as I don't have a degree in my profession to come on a 176. Therefore, I need to have a job before coming over. I'm visiting sis and fam in nov so I won't need to carry any cvs and stuff with me and if I can trawl round employers and recruitment agencies then hopefully I will land a job. At which point I need to come home and go through the 457 process.

I wouldn't mention it munchbaby99. Certainly not to emigration! You're travelling there initially to visit your sister and have a holiday, as you have family in Australia it's only natural that you might want to join her and live there so looking at the job situation and chatting to folk about work isn't a crime, but it's not on the list of tourist priority. Just go and look see, but before you start talking to folk I'd make sure that your qualifications are valid in Australia.

Write to a few job agencies in Australia, you don't have to use them, but it could give you a clue as to whether you need to down grade your skills for a while and take new courses/qualifications..at least you'll get an idea of what's best to apply for.

The definition of 'paid' in legal terms is anything you receive 'renumeration' from (gain) It doesn't have to be wages..so be careful

But good luck and hope you get there soon!!

I wouldn't mention it munchbaby99. Certainly not to emigration! You're travelling there initially to visit your sister and have a holiday, as you have family in Australia it's only natural that you might want to join her and live there so looking at the job situation and chatting to folk about work isn't a crime, but it's not on the list of tourist priority. Just go and look see, but before you start talking to folk I'd make sure that your qualifications are valid in Australia.

Write to a few job agencies in Australia, you don't have to use them, but it could give you a clue as to whether you need to down grade your skills for a while and take new courses/qualifications..at least you'll get an idea of what's best to apply for.

The definition of 'paid' in legal terms is anything you receive 'renumeration' from (gain) It doesn't have to be wages..so be careful

But good luck and hope you get there soon!!

Thanks - I have no intention of mentioning it to immigration, I'm not that crazy  its just a fact finding mission really to see if my intentions are realistic.

All I can think of is hula hoops now, hmmm yum.

Ha ha, that's why I have to bring for sis, she loves em. For me it's wotsits or monster munch and I would hope if I ever get there that my visitors would bring them over for me.

Ha ha, that's why I have to bring for sis, she loves em. For me it's wotsits or monster munch and I would hope if I ever get there that my visitors would bring them over for me.

Is that where your username came from munch?!:wideeyed:

Is that where your username came from munch?!:wideeyed:

 no Pablo, I am short so got the nickname munchkin which then got shortened to munch....... Nice huh? I'm 5ft1.5 and yes that half inch is important.  so I'm taller than some.......

 no Pablo, I am short so got the nickname munchkin which then got shortened to munch....... Nice huh? I'm 5ft1.5 and yes that half inch is important.  so I'm taller than some.......

:laugh:Your funny munch,in a nice way btw:wubclub:

So are you a girl or a boy? (A)

You know it becomes easier to relate :)

Archived