461- NZ Citizen family

tara23

Hey there,

Me and my partner both met eachother in Sydney over 2 yrs ago and have just applied for the 461, shes a kiwi and im british and we are a same sex couple. Its taken us 2 months to get our file up together in order to prove that we are e genuine couple. However good news though, immigration only had our file for one day and are satisfied we have provided enough evidence. They have now requested that i get both aystralian and uk police checks done as i lived in oz for 2 yrs before.

Has anyone else applied for this visa? I know the maximum number of yrs they grant you is 5 but on what basis do they make this decision? I'm now confident we wont struggle to get the visa but what i am wondering is how many yrs i will get? How many yrs did you get if you applied?

Im almost now a fully qualified (nvq level 3) vehicle painter and im hoping to get the 5 yrs so i can work and develop these skills in oz before applying for permanent residency later down the line.

Anyone got any experiences or advice with this?

Thank you

Tara x

Hi Tara

We are in the same boat almost but a couple of nautical miles behind you :yes:.

We are just pulling stuff together for our application. I am Brit and my wife is a Kiwi based out of UK.

I couldnt find much info on 461ers on here; perhaps because there are less dramas on a 461 than other Visas (hopefully; being a bit selfish).

I hadnt considered we might get less than 5 years.... gulp..... but they do say you can apply to extend.

We will be watching your experiences closely and if you dont mind we may pick your brains. You are welcome to pick ours but that wont take long.... :goofy:

Fingers crossed for you both.

BTS

Hey,

It's great to hear from someone else whos applying for the same visa. Just like you i havnt been able to find anything much on this visa either. Basically just been going on what immi.gov.au tells you and leaving the rest to my immagination lol!

Its funny how it took us 2 months to get all our evidence together and they only looked at it for a day lol we will be recieving it back tomorrow after only having sent it on tues this week! I'm hoping what you said turns out to be true in regards to not having any probs with this visa. The main thing for us was proving our genuine relationship which they are obviously satisfied with as they have now asked for police checks.

When do you actually plan to leave for oz and what do you think you will do when the visa expires? Do you want to get permanent residency?

Tara x

We have still so much to do, the biggest being either selling or renting out our house. We are not going to apply until that is a lot clearer.

As to the future, no idea..... but whatever happens we have options and are treating it as a big adventure. So easy just to stay in a rut, even if it is a fur-lined rut.

BTS