Medicare while waiting for PR

Olga

I have found this information on immi.gov.au http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1024i.pdf

"Medicare

Non-citizens in Australia are eligible for Medicare if they have

applied for a permanent residence visa other than a Parent visa.

They must also hold a valid temporary visa (which includes a

bridging visa), and either have permission to work on that

temporary visa or have a parent/spouse/de facto partner/child

who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident. Note that

the Medicare Levy is payable by people eligible for Medicare."

It is really good news for me! Can anyone confirm this? Am I really eligible for Medicare once I apply for PR visa and hold a visa with permission to work?

Guest wastrel

wow... that's really good!

I am going to lodge my 886 in next week, does it mean that I can go to apply for Medicare once I have my bridging visa? awesome!

Yes you can apply for Medicare enrollment as soon as you submit your PR application and are on a bridging visa.

New residents - Medicare Australia

However, the medicare entitlement is valid for a year from the date of your PR application. Just a few weeks/months before your card is about to expire they send another temporary one to replace the one that is about to expire :) I assume the trend continues until the decision is made on your PR application.

All the best guys!

Yes you can apply for Medicare enrollment as soon as you submit your PR application and are on a bridging visa.

However, the medicare entitlement is valid for a year from the date of your PR application. Just a few weeks/months before your card is about to expire they send another temporary one to replace the one that is about to expire :) I assume the trend continues until the decision is made on your PR application.

All the best guys!

Thanks very much indeed! :) xxx

Sorry Olga no idea about school fees as I do not have kids yet.

I would assume international fees because you are still considered a temporary resident in this case. Domestic fees are strictly reserved for Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents.

No worries...happy to help :)

You are eligible as soon as you apply for a PR.

1. Take a copy of the email Acknowledgement from DIAC after you apply 175/176 or any PR application.

2. Walk into a Medicare Office and submit it with the application available at the counter.

3. Take your passport copies along , for some proof and some addresss proffs if yu are in Aus.

4. They will post u the card and provide u a receipt effective immediate for 1 year.

Regards,

JSHAN

All the best guys!

My family member is on bridging visa A since 885 lodged march 2009, (seems indefinitely the way things are going!!!!). Medicare card was issued initially for 1 year, then renewed for another full year. However the latest one has only been issued for 6 months, no idea why. Hope the powers to be don't know something we don't!!!

• 1 year later...

Hi my husband is an Aus citizen and we applied for my TR in May 2012 in India. While I am waiting still for my TR to come through, am I eligible for medicare in Aus. My husband found a job in Aus and we are planning to move even before the decision is made. I am worried if I am eligible for medicare while I am waiting for my TR to come in.

Hi, what happens if immigration take over a year to make their decision? Does medicare give you another year?

Thanks!

Yes, you will keep getting subsequent one year cards until a decision is made on the PR visa.

The cards are called interim cards and are blue in colour. They entitle you to the same as the green cards, but are valid for shorter amounts of time.

When you have a blue card, you can get the same private health deals as people with the blue cards, but need to pay monthly, as you can't pay beyond the validity of your medicare card.

Oh, and you don't have to be on a bridging visa to get a blue card, just to have applied for a PR visa (onshore?). I got a blue card while on a 457 and now an 820 (temp spouse). I'll keep getting interim cards until DIAC make a decision on the 801 PR visa.

• 5 years later...
1 hour ago, Angelpreet said:

I am on 457 visa and i have applied for 187 DE visa. I already got medicare card. Can i cancel my private health insurance? Thanks in advance..

if you are from a country that has reciprocal health agreements then yes - the UK is one. If not no, not until your visa is granted. However before cancelling health insurance you should check the financial aspects such as tax as for many it is better to have it than not.