Anyone living in Cairns at the moment??

Maisie

Hiya currently we are living in Perth but we want to move to Cairns in 1 years time - is anyone living in Cairns and if so can you tell me what you honestly think of it.

Can you recommend good area to live in or catholic schools to attend, we got

married in Edmonton and liked the area but not sure what it would be like if we were living there.

Do you know the average wages for carpenters by any chance or do you know anyone we could even ask for advice or email, its just we have no contacts and really dont want to completely start over as green as what we did in Perth to be honest as what

we found here is its really hard to get contacts unless you know people here and we struggled at the start.

Oh what in general do you think of Cairns as an area to live in and raise a family

thank you :notworthy:

Hiya currently we are living in Perth but we want to move to Cairns in 1 years time - is anyone living in Cairns and if so can you tell me what you honestly think of it.

Can you recommend good area to live in or catholic schools to attend, we got

married in Edmonton and liked the area but not sure what it would be like if we were living there.

Do you know the average wages for carpenters by any chance or do you know anyone we could even ask for advice or email, its just we have no contacts and really dont want to completely start over as green as what we did in Perth to be honest as what

we found here is its really hard to get contacts unless you know people here and we struggled at the start.

Oh what in general do you think of Cairns as an area to live in and raise a family

thank you :notworthy:

Hi Maisie

Can't help with your question unfortunately but was wondering what is making you want to leave Perth?

At the moment we are still in the uk and have no idea whatsoever what part of Australia we want to make our home. We have looked at all states and really still unsure, we have family in Queensland and NSW and friends just going to Perth but we don't just want to go where we know someone, we want to go somewhere that will suit our family, just finding it really hard and interested to know the reasons people don't settle in an area etc. My husband is also a carpenter, so are worried about work, children settling into good schools and not being isolated etc. theres so much to consider and would ideally like to find the right place for us straight away rather than having to move states, sorry for the ramble!

Thankyou, Bec x

hiya

it was always our intention to move to Cairns originally but we couldnt get the visa for queensland and we were told we had to work in Perth for 2 years which we found out is actually a moral obligation rather than a legal obligation, had we known that before we came here we would have headed straight on to Cairns. We are having a baby now in a few weeks so this is why we havent moved up already and we were tied into a contract for a house as well.

Perth is sound dont get me wrong and its like anything it takes you a while to get settled and get set up but long term personally for us house prices are more competitive in Cairns for what you get here and we already know the school we think we would like to send bubs too.

Hubby is a carpenter too and there is work here dont get me wrong but its not what we thought and unless you have contacts here I dunno well we struggled anyway and would again if his work dries up again. Dont want to put anyone off and you could strike gold and get really lucky here all it takes is one good contact, friend of ours is here 2 years now and just out of work and cant get work as a carpenter and wages he is getting offered by agency wouldnt keep a family.

If you have good contacts/friends in an area I definitely think it helps, we have no family out here but put it this way if Cairns didnt work out we would come back to Perth, we just think there is more opportunities for us up there, have you done a reccie out here yet, that might help you.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Maisie

We made the move from Melbourne to Cairns just before Christmas and it is the best thing I have ever done. My children love the area and would never go back to Melbourne which is good because I thought we may have problems with my eldest.

I cannot tell you how it compares to Perth because I have never been, we had family out who stayed in Sydney, Cairns and Perth and they favoured Cairns.

What I do like about Cairns is that everything is close together. In regards to schools I am very impressed with the Catholic ones and you won't go far wrong with any of the church schools.

Suburbs, it depends what you want, do you want to be near the beach (please bear in mind that they are closed because of stingers and crocs most of the year) or do you want to be up in the rainforest areas?

Hi Maisie

We made the move from Melbourne to Cairns just before Christmas and it is the best thing I have ever done. My children love the area and would never go back to Melbourne which is good because I thought we may have problems with my eldest.

I cannot tell you how it compares to Perth because I have never been, we had family out who stayed in Sydney, Cairns and Perth and they favoured Cairns.

What I do like about Cairns is that everything is close together. In regards to schools I am very impressed with the Catholic ones and you won't go far wrong with any of the church schools.

Suburbs, it depends what you want, do you want to be near the beach (please bear in mind that they are closed because of stingers and crocs most of the year) or do you want to be up in the rainforest areas?

That's one thing you don't get in Perth, beaches closed due to stingers or crocs, the odd shark maybe.:biggrin:

Hiya where did you want to ove in queensland ? we are looking to move to brisbane i have a friend who has been living there for 4 years now she loves it she has 3 young children her husband is a carpenter like mine and yours she honestly has a lottery life she has built 2 houses since she has been there, are your working hours the same as the uk?

hiya

it was always our intention to move to Cairns originally but we couldnt get the visa for queensland and we were told we had to work in Perth for 2 years which we found out is actually a moral obligation rather than a legal obligation, had we known that before we came here we would have headed straight on to Cairns. We are having a baby now in a few weeks so this is why we havent moved up already and we were tied into a contract for a house as well.

Perth is sound dont get me wrong and its like anything it takes you a while to get settled and get set up but long term personally for us house prices are more competitive in Cairns for what you get here and we already know the school we think we would like to send bubs too.

Hubby is a carpenter too and there is work here dont get me wrong but its not what we thought and unless you have contacts here I dunno well we struggled anyway and would again if his work dries up again. Dont want to put anyone off and you could strike gold and get really lucky here all it takes is one good contact, friend of ours is here 2 years now and just out of work and cant get work as a carpenter and wages he is getting offered by agency wouldnt keep a family.

If you have good contacts/friends in an area I definitely think it helps, we have no family out here but put it this way if Cairns didnt work out we would come back to Perth, we just think there is more opportunities for us up there, have you done a reccie out here yet, that might help you.

Weve not done our reccie yet, we were waiting until we validate, Have been to queensland and nsw though in the past, drove from brisbane to sydney. The problem with the reccie will be that we will have 4 children with us so wont be able to tour the whole country so will have to decide where to do the reccie and this is the thing we cannot decide. As soon as we think weve made a decision, something comes along and puts us off! I suppose we feel that we don't want to get it wrong and have to upheave the children from schools etc. to move to another area thats more suitable, but maybe we wont know until weve tried an area anyway, really never thought it would be this hard to make a decision! :biggrin:

Hiya thank you for your reply, great to hear someone happy and an honest reply.

We were thinking of Edmonton but what is that area generally considered like to live in rough or good, we were thinking of tot attending St. Thereses parish school.

Work situation hubby is a carpenter, do you know anyone up there who is a carpenter that we could talk to or in the building game to give us their opinion on the work situation and what the average wages are like. We are thinking of March next year to move up and to be honest cant wait.

How did you get your stuff moved up there, did you use a container yourselves or get a removal company in to do it, thats one thing we really need to look into as well.

Delighted everything is working out for you, its hard making the move with kids but delighted its all going well and kids are settled.

Any advice would be really appreciated xx

• 2 years later...
Guest damon79

Don't move to Edmonton, it's a blood hole!

In fact stay clear of any of the suburbs in the south and the M suburbs.

West and North of Cairns are great, however once you start getting as far as Clifton Beach you are going to have a long drive in and out of town in peak hour. Yes... Cairns has peak hour and it is terrible for the size of the town.

Aeroglen is nice, as is Straddy. Machans Beach is nice too, but has mozzies!

Archived