and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Markie1

Where to live outside Adelaide

Guest Markie1

Hi,:idea:

On Friday morning woke up and had my cup of tea in bed, put on GMTV see what was going on in the world. There was an advertisment on TV asking for skilled people to come over to Australia. Thought that would be a good idea, so came home that evening and completed the first part of the form on line and have passed.

I am married and we have a 10 year old son, know you have to start somewhere so we are looking at Adelaide and the surrounding areas, as I originally come from London have been looking at places like Fulham etc, as we haven't got a clue.

How do we find out about the following:

Surrounding towns

Schools

Cost of property

Are we mad to be even considering this, we are both in our early 40's and just want more out of life, its quite amazing how obsessed we have been with it the last few days.

Think we need some major advice.

Thanks Mark

Guest kdal
Hi,:idea:

On Friday morning woke up and had my cup of tea in bed, put on GMTV see what was going on in the world. There was an advertisment on TV asking for skilled people to come over to Australia. Thought that would be a good idea, so came home that evening and completed the first part of the form on line and have passed.

I am married and we have a 10 year old son, know you have to start somewhere so we are looking at Adelaide and the surrounding areas, as I originally come from London have been looking at places like Fulham etc, as we haven't got a clue.

How do we find out about the following:

Surrounding towns

Schools

Cost of property

Are we mad to be even considering this, we are both in our early 40's and just want more out of life, its quite amazing how obsessed we have been with it the last few days.

Think we need some major advice.

Thanks Mark

Hiya Mark

I am also in my early 40's and like yourself ready for a new adventure! I have been to Adelaide and I thought it was lovely and I hope you wont be disappointed with your decision.

Look at the website

Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au

when you go onto this then click on the map part this says SA (South Australia) where Adelaide is. It is a good website and it will give you an idea of prices of property in Adelaide. You can put in towns in Adelaide for example we looked at Mount Barker this was a nice area and we found it to be very affordable.

Sorry cant help you on schools but you someone else might be able to help, there is supposed to be a good school in Burnside and also they have good schools in Mount Barker. My sister lives in Rostrevor which is quite near CBD.

Good luck with your new idea and hope it all works out for you

Regards

kim

Hi Markie 1,

We are moving to SA hopefully early next year once house is sold. We too have looked at Mount Barker and also Mclaren Vale and Onkaparinga Hills, both look lovely (and affordable). All our research is done online as we have never been, but the website Kim mentioned is deffo worth a look. Know what you mean about becoming obsessed!!

Good Luck with it all,

Bec x

Guest Kendra

Gday Markie, Wherever you settle outside Adelaide I am sure you will enjoy. Also, many country schools have a low student- teacher ratio, so you can take advantage of better than private school tutoring, and the kids dont need to share equipment like computers, etc! In my experience (4 kids all grown up) It also makes them more confident as they all have to take a turn in public speaking, school plays etc.

If you're interested, check out our home at Wongulla on River Estates First National : - Mannum  |  Swan Reach  |  Walker Flat  |  Bowhill  |  Murray Bridge  |  Murray Bridge East  |  Mypolonga  |  Caloote  |  Greenbanks  |  Sanderston  |  Wongulla  |  Cambrai  |  Angas Valley  |  Blanchetown  |  Nildotti

good luck.

Guest Markie1

Hi Kim

Thanks for that, seems really weird talking about a life across the other side of the world, my family think I've gone mad. Will definately check out the web site.

Thaanks again

Mark

Guest Markie1

Hi Bec

Thought I was the only mad one, are you planning to move out there before you have been there, my wife thinks I'm mad when I suggested this to her.

Guest Markie1

Gday Kendra,

Our son is 10 and we are concerned about his schooling and the guilt we feel about taking him away from his normal homelife. It is ok for us as we are older, just want to do right by him.

Hard not knowing what the areas are like, schools, housing, work shopping and general lifestyle.

Thanks for replying

Mark

Hi Mark,

We're planning on moving out as soon as the house is sold, and no, we wont be visiting first. Mad we may be, but we simply can't afford to pop over for a holiday much as I think we'd like to. To be honest though, even if we visited and came away unsure, I think we'd still give it a go. Could you really decide if you wanted to live somewhere after a 4 week holiday or whatever, I'm not sure, and then if we loved it, I'd feel I'd wasted a few grand.

So here we are, at the end of the application process (hopefully only a couple of weeks away from a decision), our biggest concern is not being able to find work.

How does your son feel about it? We also have a 10 year old boy, and an 8 year old girl, we only told them a couple of weeks ago when we had the medicals, they're really excited.

Good luck, keep us posted, what do you both do?

Bec x

Guest Markie1

Hi Bec

I am a builder, double glazing etc, wife is secretary in a school. Where are you moving to, do you have to have a place to stay once you get there. What do you both do for a living.

What made you think about going and why Australia, have you enrolled kids in new schools or wait until you get there.

Sorry for all the questions but its just things that go round in your head.

Think you are both really brave, who had to convince who to go, what do family and friends think.

All the best

Mark

Guest Kendra

Gday Mark, the earlier you move, the easier it is for kids. They assimilate much quicker than their parents! The cheaper suburbs like Elizabeth, Davoren park, Smithfield in the north and Hackham and surrounding suburbs in the south are considered a bit rough. Also Pennington, Rosewater and Semaphore in the west. Everywhere else should be fine as far as I know.

Hi Mark,

First, I'd have to say don't worry so much about your son, I felt all that guilt for months before I told him. As soon as I said we were going he was so happy and excited I almost cried with relief, we've had a few tears this week (from him) as he's now getting a bit worried, but I've been able to reassure him it'll all be fine. My honest opinion is that kids need their parents more than anyone or anything, and as long as the 4 of us are together, there's not much wrong with the world. Our daughter is also fine with it, but then I knew she would be.

Originally it was my idea, I'm a social worker and was fairly confident I could get a job out there. Turned out to be true as I am the main applicant. Hubby fits upvc windows, doors and fascia and gutter, is that similar to what you do? He's come round to the idea quite quickly, and now is as keen as me. It's been harder for him cos he grew up in our home town, and all his family are here, It's different for me cos family (what there is of them) are scattered around. Incidentally we havn't told family or friends yet, we will when we get our visa, which hopefuly shouldn't be long now.

I've always had an idea that Oz was somewhere I wanted to visit, but I know that the chances are we'll never be the sort of people who can afford big holidays every year, so this seemed like a good idea, plus it's really exciting, just feels like a big adventure. We know it'll be hard at first, but we both work hard so i'm sure we'll be fine.

I'll stop rambling now, don't worry about asking loads of questions, that's what the sites for,

Bec x

Guest Markie1

Do you know anything about Happy Valley, just thought name sounded good, have heard that you should avoid anything North West of Adelaide.

We were thinking would a tourist guide give you info on surrounding suburbs?

Guest Markie1

Hi Bec

Yes I am in the same line of work as your hubby, I also do brick laying, plastering & general building work.

We filled out the first 2 parts of the application form on line on Friday, and they liked us and gave us some points. Obviously we need to complete the rest of the info, what is the process, what happens once you have completed the form. I have been looking on the site and have seen people having case workers, what does this mean?

How long has it taken you to get this far?

My wife can't believe that you too are going without seeing the place first.

Where will you live, what do you do about the schools, how do you find out about the cost of living, food shopping etc, house hold items etc.

Silly question, do they have double glazing on their houses, if not me & your hubby need to get together.

How were you convinced just by looking at info on line, how did you find out about info on the areas?

Got loads more questions in my head, I'll try & keep them simple, save them up for later.

Thanks for your time.

Mark

Guest Tom the Pom
have heard that you should avoid anything North West of Adelaide.

Explain - why???

Tom

Guest Markie1

Hi Bec

Thought I had done a reply, but it seems to have vanished.

I am in the sme line of work as your hubby plus all round building work. Do they have double glazed windows, sounds like me and your hubby need to introduce them to it.

How did you find out about info on towns, schools etc. What is cost of living like, house hold bits, clothing etc.

What is the process and timescales, we have only filled out first two parts, got some points, they then sent emails asking us to complete rest of info. Seen some people talk about case workers, what does that mean.

Thanks for your help.

Guest Kendra

Mark, as far as I know Happy Valley is fine, You dont need to avoid the whole north west, just a few suburbs.The ones I mentioned plus Cavan, Mansfield Park, Regency Park and surrounds in the west.

I dont think tourist guides will show the suburbs, and I'm not too well versed on the south.

Guest Tom the Pom
Mark, as far as I know Happy Valley is fine, You dont need to avoid the whole north west, just a few suburbs.The ones I mentioned plus Cavan, Mansfield Park, Regency Park and surrounds in the west.

I dont think tourist guides will show the suburbs, and I'm not too well versed on the south.

Can someone please elaborate the reasons why the north west is a 'no go'

Tom:unsure:

Guest Kendra

The north and the west are actually fairly separate.

We'll start with the north. As you drive from Adelaide central along the Main north road, the inner suburbs are older and have been upgraded and redeveloped. At Gepps cross, there are still some housing trust areas but they too are being developed and cost more being closer to the city. Therefore "rough types" can't afford them . To your right as you travel away from the city there is a range of hills.From here to Elizabeth,Salisbury north, Smithfield and Davoren park on either side of Main north road the suburbs are fine, have good schools and amenities.

These suburbs are in transition. They were built in the sixties to house immigrants, and have a large percentage of public housing. As the immigrants moved on and most welfare recipients got jobs and moved on, the area became rougher, with facilities declining through age and the "hardcore" welfare stayers remaining in the cheap housing. These suburbs are now being upgraded, with young couples buying cheap housing and doing them up, and the facilities being upgraded. I dont think these suburbs will remain rough for long, but I dont think they are at the stage yet where I would feel comfortable sending my kids to school there.

I know less about the western suburbs, but there are more industrial areas.

Cavan, Wingfield, and surrounding areas are heavy industry.

All the beachside western suburbs are fine.

Around Pennington , Rosewater, Mansfield Park, there is a concentrated settlement of Asian immigrants,with many of the shops having no English signage. There have been many fights using weapons in this area.

Hope this answers some of your questions!:chatterbox:

I think this is the best site ever, but - and I hate to say this!- have you tried the yellow site, AdelaideBrits? It has been around for a fair few years now and has a comprehensive section on info. such as suburbs, schools, etc in Adelaide. Worth a try!

Or, of course, there's the sister site to PiO, PiA, which is new but I'm sure you'll find many eager souls willing to help there too. Even though Kendra is fab!:notworthy:

LC

Guest Markie1

Thanks very much for that info, local knowledge is priceless.

Guest Markie1

Thanks, will check them out

Hi Mark we are pomms living in south australia, we have lived here for about 7 years.we also have two children now 13 and 10.the hills are a nice place to live, but schooling is very differant here.it has taken alot of stress to find the children a nice school, we have had to go semi private.public transport is not good ,so you need a car.setting yourselyes up here costs alot more then you think .so have spare money as it could take a while to get a job. especally in the hills if you need any more help please let me know jane

Come over for 2 weeks up to a month and do a reccy, everything from jobs, schools, areas and burbs.....unfortunately we didn't, came to SA blind and to our detriment found out SA wasn't for us. SA was our only option as QLD wasn't offering state Sponsorship and we had been to QLD and loved it.

make sure you do your homework, google, magazines and TV programs only tell you the positives and skirt around the negatives and the full facts.

Port Noalunga and the South burbs are very nice 30 to 40 mins commute to the city.

regards

Gary

SUCH IS LIFE.