Need advice on stonemason sponsorship

Guest sundreamer81

Guest sundreamer81

Hi everyone, I really hope someone can help me as I'm struggling....

We are eager to move to Australia on a sponsorship visa as we are aware that this is the best way for us to make the move. My boyfriend is a stonemason with bags of experience ( he has his own business) and as I'm not yet qualified (psychology) we know the best way is through him. Through emailing jobs on seek we have been talking extensively with one business owner who has expressed a strong desire to sponsor James (my partner) but we have not heard from him now in 3 weeks so are concerned it's gone cold so need to keep our options open. We have been looking at the oz job sites but need to know if there is any other way we can search for employer sponsorship opportunities?

I've seen a site called sponsorshipaustralia that u have to pay for registration for? Has anyone been on this, is it effective?

He's also going to post his cv on skilledbritishworkers.

He has been approved for skilled independent but we know how long this can take so would prefer to go down the sponsorship route.

ANY help anyone can give would be amazing as to where we can look or what we could do. Thankyou in advance xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just wondering if you have got any info. My OH is a stonemason but has no papers, 18 years experience and was hoping to get a AQF Cert III but we can't find anyone that assesses stonemasons.

Help from any one would be appreciated.

Guest sundreamer81

kellyfifi1 - We have heard back from our sponsor but now we have come across the almighty stumbling block that is the assessment for stonemasons aswell. I've been trying to get onto tradeset, the online program for registering for assessment, however stonemasonry isn't listed as a trade on there, so I emailed trades recognition australia and their reply is below. I'm not sure it really answered my question but it might give you some more info?

VickyMel - The business visa is rather expensive to go through, we have looked at that but its too expensive and we would like the security of going to a job.

Thank you for your enquiry to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

The TradeSET (Trade Self Evaluation Test) only applies to applicants applying for a skills assessment under the Offshore Skills Assessment Program (OSAP) or a Temporary Worker (457) visa.

Applicants applying for permanent migration under the General Skilled Migration (GSM) program from outside Australia; OR from within Australia but do not hold an Australian Qualification based on studies undertaken in Australia; OR under the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) must apply under the Skilled Worker Program.

Applicants applying under the Skilled Worker Program must clearly demonstrate they meet requirements for any one Skill Pathway set out in the Skilled Worker Program Assessment Criteria (SWPAC). If you are concerned that you might not select the correct Pathway, it should be noted that your application will be assessed against all Pathways.

The SWPAC consists of 4 Skill Pathways.

Skill Pathway A - 4 year Formal Apprenticeship:

The applicant must clearly demonstrate:

· a formal recognised apprenticeship

· a minimum of 900 hours formal training undertaken in conjunction with employment as an apprentice

· combined, the apprenticeship and formal training must total no less than 4 years in the occupation applied for.

Skill Pathway B – 5 year Informal Apprenticeship:

· evidence of employment as an apprentice

· a minimum of 900 hours formal training (which must be undertaken within 2 years of the employment).

· combined, the apprenticeship and formal training must total no less than 5 years in the occupation applied for.

Skill Pathway C – 5 year Traineeship:

· a period of employment as a trainee

· a minimum of 1800 hours formal training (which must be undertaken within 2 years of the employment).

· combined, the traineeship and formal training must total no less than 5 years in the occupation applied for.

Skill Pathway E – Australian Qualification:

The applicant must demonstrate:

· completion of an AQF Certificate III by formal training or awarded through a workplace assessment

· 4 years of relevant and directly related employment.

All pathways also require applicants to have 12 months employment in the nominated trade within the 24 months prior to lodging an application to TRA.

Please visit TRA’s website www.deewr.gov.au/tra for more information on the Skilled Worker Program and to download the SWPAC.

All replies to this email must be forwarded to traenquiries@deewr.gov.au if you require the matter to be actioned.

Trades Recognition Australia

Australian Government Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations

Phone 61 2 6121 7456 | Fax 61 2 6276 9812

www.deewr.gov.au/tra

kellyfifi1 - We have heard back from our sponsor but now we have come across the almighty stumbling block that is the assessment for stonemasons aswell. I've been trying to get onto tradeset, the online program for registering for assessment, however stonemasonry isn't listed as a trade on there, so I emailed trades recognition australia and their reply is below. I'm not sure it really answered my question but it might give you some more info?

VickyMel - The business visa is rather expensive to go through, we have looked at that but its too expensive and we would like the security of going to a job.

Thank you for your enquiry to Trades Recognition Australia (TRA).

The TradeSET (Trade Self Evaluation Test) only applies to applicants applying for a skills assessment under the Offshore Skills Assessment Program (OSAP) or a Temporary Worker (457) visa.

Applicants applying for permanent migration under the General Skilled Migration (GSM) program from outside Australia; OR from within Australia but do not hold an Australian Qualification based on studies undertaken in Australia; OR under the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) must apply under the Skilled Worker Program.

Applicants applying under the Skilled Worker Program must clearly demonstrate they meet requirements for any one Skill Pathway set out in the Skilled Worker Program Assessment Criteria (SWPAC). If you are concerned that you might not select the correct Pathway, it should be noted that your application will be assessed against all Pathways.

The SWPAC consists of 4 Skill Pathways.

Skill Pathway A - 4 year Formal Apprenticeship:

· a formal recognised apprenticeship

· a minimum of 900 hours formal training undertaken in conjunction with employment as an apprentice

· combined, the apprenticeship and formal training must total no less than 4 years in the occupation applied for.

Skill Pathway B – 5 year Informal Apprenticeship:

· evidence of employment as an apprentice

· a minimum of 900 hours formal training (which must be undertaken within 2 years of the employment).

· combined, the apprenticeship and formal training must total no less than 5 years in the occupation applied for.

Skill Pathway C – 5 year Traineeship:

· a period of employment as a trainee

· a minimum of 1800 hours formal training (which must be undertaken within 2 years of the employment).

· combined, the traineeship and formal training must total no less than 5 years in the occupation applied for.

Skill Pathway E – Australian Qualification:

The applicant must demonstrate:

· completion of an AQF Certificate III by formal training or awarded through a workplace assessment

· 4 years of relevant and directly related employment.

All pathways also require applicants to have 12 months employment in the nominated trade within the 24 months prior to lodging an application to TRA.

Please visit TRA’s website www.deewr.gov.au/tra for more information on the Skilled Worker Program and to download the SWPAC.

All replies to this email must be forwarded to traenquiries@deewr.gov.au if you require the matter to be actioned.

Trades Recognition Australia

Australian Government Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations

Phone 61 2 6121 7456 | Fax 61 2 6276 9812

www.deewr.gov.au/tra

Hi

We looked at this and as my OH doesn't not have any academic training, all on the job, he needs his AQF Cert III, he would need a min 900 hours in order for the TRA to assess his skills and credit his work experience. A migration agent told me this said there was no point in applying for the TRA if we didn't have a AQF as Pathway E is our only option.

I found some one in ACT S Australia is a large Registered Training Organization in Australia, they have some in the UK and ireland

His name is Jonathan Harris

+44 (0) 7975681641 jonathan.harris@tradesrecognition.com

Not sure if I can post numbers and email here so will PM you them, if you PM me you email address I can forward you on the email from him, he is very nice but expensive, £2650, but I have heard that if they get you the AQF you will have no problems getting it past by the TRA. Have said that they can get my OH his AQF by the end of the month.

If you need any more info let me know.

Archived