Are we allowed to leave the house if we're not UK permanent Residents?

Sibella

We are South Africans who have been living in the UK for four years. We got out Aus visas in January, have been trying to sell our house here for ages (why oh why did we buy it?).

So as we are only here on a workpermit, are we allowed to leave the country and still have a mortgage in the UK?

And would we have to go with my husband immediately or would we be able to stay on for about a month while he sorts stuff out. I rang UK immigration and they told me they can't tell me what to do I need to contact a solicitor. Which I don't think is worth the cost to answer two questions?

The worst is that we can apply for UK PR in December but we need to be in Aus by December. Also morally I don't want to apply for UK PR as we are planning on living in Aus, but if we did get it it would make it so much easier to get back into the UK to sort our stuff out.

We are South Africans who have been living in the UK for four years. We got out Aus visas in January, have been trying to sell our house here for ages (why oh why did we buy it?).

So as we are only here on a workpermit, are we allowed to leave the country and still have a mortgage in the UK?

And would we have to go with my husband immediately or would we be able to stay on for about a month while he sorts stuff out. I rang UK immigration and they told me they can't tell me what to do I need to contact a solicitor. Which I don't think is worth the cost to answer two questions?

The worst is that we can apply for UK PR in December but we need to be in Aus by December. Also morally I don't want to apply for UK PR as we are planning on living in Aus, but if we did get it it would make it so much easier to get back into the UK to sort our stuff out.

Check your mortgage contract for the answer to your first question.

Check your visa grant letter for the answer to your second question.

Archived