Looking for people in melbourne...

Guest Mowday

Guest Frenglish

Hey Revs30,

Yes alot of my friends who have been to Oz told me about the cost of drinks! Luckily my partner and I aren't really big drinkers, and neither us actually like beer! (We might not fit in with the aussies.....:unsure: lol!) But thanks for the heads up anyway! Any other advice is also welcome :wink:

Laura

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Winkle,

Didn't set one up as there are a few already (I didn't even think of looking into it before i mentioned it, silly me).

We are based in North Melbourne and have been here 3 weeks so far.

We have our meds next week so all going well we should be in Melbourne the early part of next year.

Were looking at Point cook, sanctuary lakes etc for renting but not 100% yet- would like to be 45mins ish to the city.

There are 4 of us also- me, the wife and 2 boys 4 & nearly 2.

How has your for first 3 weeks gone? easier than you though?

Guest Ozziebruce
Hey everyone,

It's great there's so many people on here! And the other nights out seem to have gone well- that's brilliant! My partner and I land in Melbourne monday so if there are any upcoming events then I shall be crashing them! :wink: We're 25 and 26 and eager to make new friends! I'm english but my partner is french so I hope you guys don't mind a frenchie coming along....?! :laugh: My partner has a new job so will make new friends straight away (hopefully) but I'll be looking for work when I'm there so I shall seriously have a lack of friends and social contact! :tongue:

Anyway, hoping to see some of you in the near future! Dinner, drinks, hanging out- whatever! Just great to meet new people in similar situations!

Laura

Hi Laura,

Just been having a scan of the forums and see you and your partner have just arrived in Melbourne- hope you're both coping well with the jet lag!! My partner (28) and I (27) will be arriving in Melbourne on 8th August on a business visa, and have 2 weeks temporary accommodation set up when we get here, but then need to find somewhere to live! I'd be really interested in understanding how long it took you to find somewhere, and whether they were available straight away. Would also be nice to meet up for a drink when we get there? There's only so much time I can spend with only my boyfriend for company before needing other people to talk to :smile:

Good luck with settling in,

Heather

Guest Frenglish

Hi Heather,

Nice to hear from you :biggrin:

Yes we've been here since monday morning, and been trying to pack lots in before my partner started work today (wednesday). We were unlucky in the fact that the accomodation the company had reserved for us was really not great. We could barely move in it, it had no internet and no parking (we've rented a car). The internet was the real biggie as of course we're on the apartment hunt! So since last night we are now in a motel with wi-fi and can really get going with finding an apartment. We actually viewed an apartment on our first day (we've been busy!) thanks to good old Mcdonalds and it's free wi-fi :wink: Things are available at the moment, we've been told this is a good time to look as people mainly move in the summer. There are alot of places on the internet so we're just trying to get viewings. I've spoken to a few agents on the phone and everyone is really helpful and friendly. They also get back to you quickly (I find). Do you know where you're wanting to live?

Also, do you know the name of your temporary accomodation? Just to check it's not the same as ours! I'm sure it won't be though, unfortunately we were just a little unlucky. But it's all good now :-)

Yes we would love to meet up when you arrive, I love meeting new people and we're in the same boat so will have lots in common! Where abouts are you from originally?

Ohh, bring a coat and some warm jumpers- it's nippy here! It was 30degrees when we left France so the weather was abit of a shock! There seems to be so much wind so layers are a must (also because 10mins later the sun may come out!)

Feel free to ask away any questions, I know I haven't been here long but I'll do what I can to answer. Or pm me if you like?

Good luck with all the packing and sorting!

Laura

• 2 weeks later...
Guest turquoiseLilly

Hi, I'm 29 and I am moving to Melbourne in two weeks, from England, and would also love to meet up to make some new friends :-)

Hi All

My names Jo, I'm 31 and about to leave the UK for Melbourne on a 457 visa in 3 weeks. Likely to be living in or near CBD or St Kilda area. Would be nice to make some friends outside of work so if anyone fancies a drink let me know.

Guest mojo82

Hi Everyone,

Been here for 7 months now with my fiance Dean, initially lived in Brunswick (house share vic) and recently moved into our own place in Northcote. I'm a nurse and and my fella is a decorator. We are both loving Melbourne (even tho it's a little chilly at the min) and like meeting new people. If anyone wants to meet up or wants any advice I'm happy to help :biggrin:.

Just PM me and I'll give you my mob number.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all .. been here 15 months now after moving from Newcastle Upon Tyne .. struggled to meet people with where we lived for the first year .. however we now live in Port Melbourne (which is an awesome suburb) so definitely up for a night out and meeting some new faces either in the city or in Port Melbourne, South Melbourne, Middle Park, St Kilda etc!

I'm 29 and work in the city in admin for the courts and my partner is 33 and works in Medical Ultrasound all over Victoria / Tasmania.

Have a good one, Steve & Craig.

Hi Everyone,

Been here for 7 months now with my fiance Dean, initially lived in Brunswick (house share vic) and recently moved into our own place in Northcote. I'm a nurse and and my fella is a decorator. We are both loving Melbourne (even tho it's a little chilly at the min) and like meeting new people. If anyone wants to meet up or wants any advice I'm happy to help :biggrin:.

Just PM me and I'll give you my mob number.

Mojo you say it's a little chilly- how chilly? or is it that the summer is much warmer it makes the winter seem much colder!!!

Guest nurseflorence84

Hi all i am moving to Melbourne is September and like a few others i am on my own so as you can imagine i am eager to meet up with new people and friends.

I am a 27 year old nurse who will be living near Clayton.

Drop me a line.

Guest Andy83

Hey guys,

I'm Andrea (27) - have been here only 1 month (just settled in, got a job etc.) living in Coburg - always up for a meet up - Happy to meet anytime and anywhere :)

Cheers :wink:

• 1 year later...
Guest emma89

Hi I've recently moved to Brighton in Melbourne. I'm a 23 year old female and from Cornwall in England and have been here for a couple of months and need to makes some new friends! I am an aupair/nanny with weekends off and have some free time in the week. Is anyone up to having coffee/lunch/drinks?

Emma xxx

:laugh::cute:

Hi I've recently moved to Brighton in Melbourne. I'm a 23 year old female and from Cornwall in England and have been here for a couple of months and need to makes some new friends! I am an aupair/nanny with weekends off and have some free time in the week. Is anyone up to having coffee/lunch/drinks?

Emma xxx

:laugh::cute:

Hi Emma, my hubby just saw this, it may be short notice but im going out with my friend tonight for girls night out at st kilda if your up for it, we are meeting at 8pm for drinks. Me and my friend are both scottish, i live in elsternwick and she lives in prahran, if your interested i will give you my number x

Edited by charliebhoy

Guest blackcessa
Hi Sarah

I am here with my fella Trev we live in Altona Both Brits moved as relocated with my job in UK, my email is wilkinson496@hotmail.com send me a message and we can sort something out. Miss my girlie mates back home but everything else makes the move worthwhile Tc x

Hey there,

Ive just joined the forum and have noticed that you live in Altona. I know the thread is a bit old but wondered if you were still there?

Im a Brit living in Altona and since splitting with my ex I am trying to make new friends. Ive actually been in Altona for over a year now but working alone all day Ive not had chance to get out and about with anyone.

Hey there,

Ive just joined the forum and have noticed that you live in Altona. I know the thread is a bit old but wondered if you were still there?

Im a Brit living in Altona and since splitting with my ex I am trying to make new friends. Ive actually been in Altona for over a year now but working alone all day Ive not had chance to get out and about with anyone.

Hey blackcessa,

I live in Altona too...have lived here for about a year now, if you fancy meeting up for a coffee at some point let me know. Would be nice to find some other PIOs in Altona or the near suburbs..

Anyone else live out this way?

Hey guys

I've been living in Collingwood for about a year now since I came to Aus, but only just found this forum while I was preparing my partner visa - wish I'd known about it before! If anyone's in the area and wants to meet up then shoot me a message, be nice to meet up with people now it looks like I'll be staying here a while.

Guest Kat551

Hello - a few of our friends use this forum so I thought I'd stick my head in and see what's happening. I'm also living in Collingwood - acham I'll drop you a message - so if anyone fancies going to the pub....

'