hey all! (NERVOUS)

Guest boots

I have sent off my skills assessment to Victoria University and am currently awaiting confirmation of my interview via skype. I am a metal fabricator by trade. I am so nervous as I really don't know what to expect. Has anyone been through the same process??? :huh: Can someone help me?

• 6 months later...
Guest majella

HI there My name is majella and my husbands name is seamus. We are from birr. i was just wondering how ye went about the whole process and what kind of visa ye got. we have 2 girls 4 and 8 months. My husband has his own construction company but things are just getting impossible so we want to go to oz. Only problem is shea has no formal quals we have got on to fas to c if he can just sit in on exams but no word yet. i dont think he can do skills assessment ive been told all different conflicting stories so would be nice to hear some local advice

Guest pabloadriang

Hi,

First no panic....is just an interview. I did mine (i`m a floor and wall tiler) 3 or 4 months ago and no problem they should give you a list of topics that they will follow and ask you and that you have to answer but its not difficult just relax and if you know your trade should be fine. One tip that i did is bring with (at home) some tools that you use everyday so you can show the guy you know the tools and how they to use correctly and DON`T forget to show or tell about safety stuffs hat, gloves, goggles etc. Good Luck!!!

Guest guest59177
HI there My name is majella and my husbands name is seamus. We are from birr. i was just wondering how ye went about the whole process and what kind of visa ye got. we have 2 girls 4 and 8 months. My husband has his own construction company but things are just getting impossible so we want to go to oz. Only problem is shea has no formal quals we have got on to fas to c if he can just sit in on exams but no word yet. i dont think he can do skills assessment ive been told all different conflicting stories so would be nice to hear some local advice

Hi. If you don't mind, you sound like the Dudley family (Vernon had a drilling business) :biglaugh: And I recently read a fanfic in which they suddenly decide to go to Australia and disown Harry :biggrin: Anyways, I do think I have been reading too many fanfics for my own good...

To answer you question, I would recommend that you get consultation from 2 or 3 good migration agents so you get a good idea of your available options. Also try the visa wizard at the DIAC website. Other than that, try to browse around the site and read up on the various visa options available. If your husband's business is profitable enough, he mighgt qualify for the investor visa. Anyways, doing this homework will give you some good basic knowledge so you can ask pertinent questions from the agents when you go to see them. I am sorry I can't paste any URLs since I am a new member here. Hope this helps!!!

Hey Majella,

we initally had a consultation with Liz O'Hagan but I hear she is on maternity leave at present and has a John Adams from Immigration2Oz, who is a registered migration agent managing her new clients. From that consultation with Liz we found out what we had to do in order to get Boots' skill recognised as he had never registered with Fas all those years ago. Once we got his skill assessed, we went for state sponsorship. If you want to pm and give me your phone number i'll give you a bell.

Becks

Where's that? It sounds cold

I have sent off my skills assessment to Victoria University and am currently awaiting confirmation of my interview via skype. I am a metal fabricator by trade. I am so nervous as I really don't know what to expect. Has anyone been through the same process??? :huh: Can someone help me?

My husband (bricklayer) did his technical interview with Victoria University at the beginning of August and was in the same position, quite nervous. The interviewer was a fully qualified person himself so he knew what he was talking about. It was a very informal and normal conversation. He asked a few basic questions about his trade. Know a few other people who have done them and had the same experience. Philip brought no tools or anything else with him, wore semi-casual clothes. It only lasted about 15mins but most of that was chit chat. Got an email the very next day with the positive skills assessment. It took two weeks from the date of lodging all the stuff to get the interview - a lot quicker than we had thought.

Are you going through an agent or doing it by yourself?