Affect on pension emmigrating aged 31

Sol Survivor

Hi all,

have gone through various posts on this but still not 100% clear. Question is, should when I emmigrate later this year aged 31 I stay in Aus permanently up to Retirement age, how would that effect my state pension as and when I come to retirement? I hear things about "freezing", but that doesn't mean much to me. I guess ulitmately I want to know how working full time between the ages of 21 to 31 in the UK (with various School & Uni holiday work between the age of 16-21) effect my final state pension?

Thanks.:wink:

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is 30 years of NI contributions to obtain full U.K state pension.

This may change in this years budget 2011

For every year of full time employment in the U.K you will receive 1/30 of the state pension when you retire.

If you have been in full time employment for 10 years you will receive at retirement age

10 * 1/30 = 1/3 of the full state pension.

You do have the option of making voluntary NI contributions to make up for missing years.

Freezing of the pension means.

If you are living in Australia when you reach retirement age and collect your U.K pension the amount of money you receive each week will stay the same each year.

You will not receive the cost of living increments in the state pension that U.K pensioners get.

You need to contact UK works & pensions to confirm your NI contributions & pensions entitlements.

Archived