and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest julianpoggenpoel

New points test & aqf

Guest julianpoggenpoel

Hi all

Just wanted to get anyones opinion on what I think I understand about this new points test being implemented 1 July 2011.

While reading the Introduction to New Points Test on DIAC website I came across FAQ:

Q: Are there any restrictions on what Australian qualifications can be used to claim points?

A: Yes. To claim points for an Australian qualification, the qualification must have been undertaken while the applicant was in Australia and it must have been completed as the result of a course of study that was at least two academic years (that is, 92 weeks as registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)).

Then further down the page:

What points will be awarded for education qualifications?

The following table outlines the number of points awarded for an applicant’s highest education qualification.

Points and Description of education qualifications

20 points for PhD

15 points Bachelor Degree (including a Bachelor Degree with Honours or Masters)

10 points Diploma completed in Australia, AQF III/IV completed in Australia, Offshore recognised apprenticeship

NOTE THAT ALL DIPLOMAS AND AQF'S HAS TO BE OBTAINED IN OZ!!!!

As I am currently being assessed for my AQF (technical interview being conducted tonight) and the fact that we just recently got our required funds in the bank (which now has to stay there for 3 months) clearly we will not make it to apply for SS and our visa by 1 July!!! This means that my AQF will be useless by then!! Any thoughts anyone???

Hi Jullian,

I have been through the exact same process as you and received my AQF Certificate III in Printing and Graphic Arts (Graphic Pre-Press) (ICP30205) last year.

I was always under the impression that the qualification never offered any extra points when applying for a visa. The sole reason for obtaining the qualification is so you can apply to the TRA to obtain skills assessment under Skill Pathway E - Australian Qualification holder.

I supplied all the evidence that I compiled in order to obtain the AQF to the TRA, with all the relevant application forms and fee and received my TRA certificate last year.

I'm also looking at emigrating to Canberra this year but need to sell my house to secure the needed funds.

The new points scheme could cause a problem for me too, if I don't find the money soon.

The goalposts are constantly moving and it's frustrating. I wish you all the best and hope you manage to get your visa.

Hey Justin,

Just to add, it might be worth taking the IELTS exam, the Superior English - IELTS 8 will give you 20 points when the new points structure is introduced in July.

I think I will be doing the same thing if I cannot secure funds before the cut off date.

Good luck.

Guest julianpoggenpoel

hi, sorry didn't quite catch your name. I received my skills assessment back from Oz yesterday and about to send it off to TRA for their assessment (what a load of ****!!!!) Anyway, how long did TRA take to assess your application? I'm trying my utmost to get my visa app in before the new points test takes effect as I will not qualify thereafter. By the way, I heared of many stories where applicants do not have the funds available but instead prove how they would support themselves for the first 3 months in Canberra without work. That could be an option for you????

Sorry mate, my name's Chris.

My TRA assessment took about a month to come back. They are not the most efficient team off people around.

We may have to look at the waiver option if we can't secure funds in time, it's like stand up comedy at the moment, it's all about the err... timing!

Good Luck.

Chris.

Guest julianpoggenpoel

ha ha... yeah you right!! although the people I've been speaking to at TRA seems fairly helpfull... but then again they might just be the receptionist!!! At least you still have options before 1 July, give it a go, you got nothing to loose but the $275 SS fee!!! Have you investigated the job market over in Canberra.... any leads yet???

HI Julian,

How and where did you get your skills assessment for skills assessment AQF Certificate III in Printing and Graphic Arts (Graphic Pre-Press) (ICP30205) ?