IT Jobs in Perth/WA

Guest Draecos

Guest Draecos

Hi all,

Hope you're all well, been reading through some of the posts on this site and seems like a lot of people have some good advice.

Can anyone recommend the best way of finding a company that will sponsor me? I've scoured the recruitment sites but most seem to require you to be have PR before you apply. The closest I've found is a website called Paxus that will sponsor if they have a relevant contract position.

The next step I will take will be to email relevant IT companies in and around Perth but if anyone has any other advice (or a job available biggrin.gif), I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

Dave.

Guest Guest 47403
Hi all,

Hope you're all well, been reading through some of the posts on this site and seems like a lot of people have some good advice.

Can anyone recommend the best way of finding a company that will sponsor me? I've scoured the recruitment sites but most seem to require you to be have PR before you apply. The closest I've found is a website called Paxus that will sponsor if they have a relevant contract position.

The next step I will take will be to email relevant IT companies in and around Perth but if anyone has any other advice (or a job available biggrin.gif), I'd be most grateful.

Thanks

Dave.

What do you do within IT? It will make a big difference as to whether getting sponsorship is realistic.

Guest Draecos

I work as a Network, Security and Server analyst also with basic web skills. Passed ACS skills assessment as well last August on ANZCO code 261112 - Systems Analyst.

Does that help?

Guest Guest 47403

Are you just wanting a temp visa rather than a PR? May be worth going out on a WHV that way you could do some contract work and test the water if you make some good contacts icould lead to sponsorship much easier than doing it from off shore.

Guest Draecos

I have considered a WHV but the main problem is I have a partner and 2 children to come out as well who apparently cannot come with you on that type of visa.

Guest Guest 47403

Your job isn't on the WA state sponsorship list have you looked at other states? Sponsorship for IT jobs seems to be quite rare at our level (I do more Active directory/Exchange work) I'm lucky in that my wife is a nurse so that's our route in.

Is a family holiday an option, your not supposed to look for work but getting your CV out there face to face may have a better outcome than firing off loads of emails.

Guest Draecos

I was/am going to apply on a skilled independant visa for the ANZCO skill i was awarded of 261112 Systems Analyst which is on the SOL. However I think the better route in maybe to get sponsorship seeing as that seems to the be the way things are going.

A family holiday isnt an option as it wouldnt permit me going off and job searching, however I'm seriously considering a visit on my own purely for the purposes of finding work/visiting companies/spreading my cv around etc.

I'll persist and see how I feel, although the general impression I get on the forums is to do the above.

Guest JonInMelbourne

Paxus is a very reputable company (I have had good experience with them, although BTW I have no commercial interest in them) and they generally work in two ways:

a.) As a recruitment agent - i.e. sourcing people for particular positions.

b.) As a 'preferred agent' of a company employing contracters and managing payroll, etc. on their behalf.

Be aware that if you contact Paxus directly then, as with any agent, you will fall into (a). The downside of this is that your rate will not be as good as it could be as they will take a commission / finders fee etc.

With the second model the company will pay Paxus a (usually small) fixed administrative fee and for all intents and purposes you are contracted directly to the company in question. This is worth remembering because if you're setting up in Oz for the first time and all the admin/paperwork associated with setting up an ABN (company) to contract directly is too daunting straight away, then this is a good option (most large organisations have preferred agents who act in this way).

I'm in Melbourne, so not familiar with the WA IT market at the moment, so I'm not able to suggest companies out there who would be looking at the moment unfortunately...

Good luck!