Whos going to Mackay

Still-a-dream!

Guest piper84

Hi Folks,

I'm from Ireland and am moving to Mackay in 10 weeks with my husband and 18 month old twin girsl :eek: We are both very nervous and excited at the same time ! Can anybody please give me advice on good areas to rent, cost of living (I've heard it can be quite high) and toddler groups in Mackay.

Thanks in advance,

Debbie x

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest MissBehaving

I told my OH that I was 'chatting to my Mackay friends' yesterday - he thought I was going mad, until I explained about this forum....

He thinks it is a good idea to keep in touch and make friends via here - makes the move downunder a little less daunting!

:jiggy:

BobJ - what do you think of Beaconsfield or Richmond? Stay clear areas or 'maybe' areas?

Be brutal :yes:

Guest MissBehaving

Hi Piper --- I am new on here (started yesterday) --- everyone seems really friendly. You are ahead of us - we are looking to move in November.

We have been looking at Blacks Beach area - but it all depends on where my OH company is based. We won't know the address for a few weeks yet.

Guest Joshkat

Hi to all, have'nt been on for a couple of weeks. Busy packing lots of people coming round to look at the house.Move out the 15 May, stay at mums then fly out 21 May.Time is flying bye HELP:arghh: Hope everyones plans are going well. Joshkat

I told my OH that I was 'chatting to my Mackay friends' yesterday - he thought I was going mad, until I explained about this forum....

He thinks it is a good idea to keep in touch and make friends via here - makes the move downunder a little less daunting!

:jiggy:

BobJ - what do you think of Beaconsfield or Richmond? Stay clear areas or 'maybe' areas?

Be brutal :yes:

G'day mate, Beaconsfield is nice but some of it is flood prone, expecially along the golfcourse boundary.

Richmond...very few dwellings and opposite the golfcourse so, nice and 'rural' in the city precincts...easy access from both areas to Mt Pleasant shopping precinct.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest MissBehaving

Thanks Bobj.... Might look into those areas. Also like the Blacks Beach area (well, from what we can see on the internet!)

My OH will be jealous when I show him your fishing pictures. He used to own a Bass boat in South Africa.

Black's Beach and those northern areas are quite nice except for one thing...The roundabout on the west side of the golfcourse is at the bottom of the hill from Rural View and when it rains, becomes rather scary...There have been a few 'mishaps'

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest karl276

hi all

i dont think that it will be too long before we are moving to mackay on are adventure as becky thinks that it wont be to long before are 3rd is here and then it is on with the passport and visa in which i have been told they are taking 18 to 22 days come june/july we will be on are flight to oz and are new life starts :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

its good to see lots of people are moving out to mackay, thought it would be just me the wife and kids when i first started lookng

karl becky and kiddys

Guest lala28

8 weeks on wednesday 4 us guys!!!:jiggy:

Can't wait for a bit sunshine (sigh). We said our first goodbye this weekend. Best friends live in Yorkshire so we went to visit & that is the last time we will see them for approx 3 yrs :cry:

Second time around is no easier!!

Good luck to everyone making the move :biggrin:

Laura, Trev & boys (10 & 16)

Guest MissBehaving

Hi Lala...

That is the part that I am dreading most --- saying goodbye. When I told my parents that we are going to Aus that was hard enough, I can't imagine how it will be when we say bye at the airport!!

Have you decided on where to live yet? If I remember correctly - you have already been in touch with estate agents?

Its going to be so hard. We were showing my 3 1/2 year old where australia was in a childrens atlas on friday. And then my mum came round ours on the night (her Moma) and was cuddling in to her and my little one says 'Moma do you want me to show you where we are going to be living?'. At that point my mum broke into tears.

But....on the other hand shes already talking about a flight out at Christmas.:biggrin:

Guest lala28

Hi Misbehaving. I think we will be looking at the blacks beach area at first. I have contacted a few agents and had replies from 2. They attached the necessary paperwork we need to complete before in order to register so fingers crossed we will be able to secure a property for arrival.

It is hard saying goodbye. We are flying from manchester (live in newcastle) because it gives us 1 days breathing space to recover emotionally from say goodbye. May sound mad but we found it really helped first time round so have decided to do this again.How you feeling? When do you expect to get there?

Laura:fish:

Guest MissBehaving

Hey Lala

Would you be able to PM the estate agents you have used? We are looking to be there by November at the latest - OH will go earlier and my DD and I will follow.

For us I guess it depends on the sale of our house although the estates agents have told us that it will go quickly once we put it on the market... (waiting for an official offer of employment to come once OH has his medical done - Wednesday).

Stilladream - I am hoping my parents will visit us sooner rather than later... so that they can see where we all are everyday....

Guest piper84

Hi Missbehaving,

We have been looking at the Black Beach area too, its mad too think we could be there in just 10 weeks :eek:

Wow Lala28, 8 weeks! I cant wait until we have a definite date, We should receive the contract from my husbands job offer on Tuesday and hopefully get the ball rolling then, definitely feeling better about the big move after reading this thread and seeing how many people are emigrating to this area :) I had heard it was quite an expensive place to live but hoping that won't be the case :biggrin:

Guest lala28

Hi piper84.

We lived in Mackay 4 yrs ago for a short while but had to return to UK due to family member being ill. The housing is expensive (rental) compared to the UK, but other than that I dont think it's too bad.

It's a lovely place and from what we experienced the aussies are fab people and can't seem to do enough for you. We can't wait to escape the mad british rushing from place to place thing and just chill.

Laura :biggrin:

Guest piper84

Hi Laura, it is definitely encouraging to meet someone who lived there before and wants to go back :cool: We have been trying to relocate for a while now and Mackay was never really a area we considered until we got an offer there and thought why not! very nervous about travelling so far with two toddlers though and taking them away from their grandparents ( first grandkids on both sides)

Guest lala28

You're bound to feel nervous. We feel a whole range of emotions from excitement to fear lol but we are doing it so we can spend more time together as a family. I think that life goes by so quickly & you have to grab the opportunities that come your way. That said..it will be hard to leave loved ones behind but they are only a flight away :biggrin: I'm sure it will all work out & the kids will probably sleep most of the way :wink:

Guest MissBehaving

Dunno how big Blacks Beach is - but if we are all going to settle there it will be a lot easier to face the change.

My daughter is my parents only grandchild also - which makes it even harder.

Thanks for the estate agents Lala - let me know how you get on please?

I am on facebook but havent told anyone yet - so I cant put any comment about Aus/Mackay on there.:em0100:

Guest MissBehaving

I have also been trying to find some short term furnished rentals for when we get there? Not sure if that option is limited but they all seem to be so expensive.

Guest piper84

Yes its hard taking the little ones away from the grandparents but they have all promised to visit, hopefully they will feel better about it when they actually come out there and see the kids happy and settled (i hope!) :smile:

I'm finding it really hard to find a furnished house out there, haven't decided weather or not to ship our furniture yet, want to wait until we get there and weigh up the costs of buying verses shipping. The recruitment agency said they will sort us with short term rental accommodation for the first few weeks.

I agree lala that is is to good an opportunity to let go by, not sure on the sleeping for the flight though haha, one of my girls is great at staying awake alot, I can just imagine her having us walking up and down for the entire flight :laugh:

Guest lala28

We have been told its almost impossible to rent furnished. We didnt even see any furnished properties 1st time round so it may not be an option. We are taking our furniture here & renting our house as it hasnt sold :cool:

Guest piper84

yes I found 1 furnished house to rent on http://www.realestate.com.au and when I clicked into it and looked at pictures there was no furniture :confused: . Think it is possible to rent furniture short term as well though :biggrin:. as long as I have a bed I'll be happy lol :v_SPIN:

Hi Missbehaving,

We have been looking at the Black Beach area too, its mad too think we could be there in just 10 weeks :eek:

Wow Lala28, 8 weeks! I cant wait until we have a definite date, We should receive the contract from my husbands job offer on Tuesday and hopefully get the ball rolling then, definitely feeling better about the big move after reading this thread and seeing how many people are emigrating to this area :) I had heard it was quite an expensive place to live but hoping that won't be the case :biggrin:

Hi Piper84,

Just wanting to say hello, as i dont think I have yet! We are moving with our two toddler girls too. What job will your hubby be doing?

I think its about 8 familys (??) on here now moving to Mackay in the next 6 months. Will be great if we can all keep in touch and help each other out and have meet ups.

Kate xx