Whos going to Mackay

Still-a-dream!

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning girls

Just been chatting with my friend in Adelaide on Facebook and she recommends the following:-

Things to buy before we leave

Bedding (Aussie beds are different sizes to ours)

Towels (expensive compared to us)

Cotton tops (also expensive)

Underwear (good old M & S) - not as good there and also expensive

Stores to check out for homeware

www.target.com.au

www.myers.com.au - similar to Debenhams

www.kmart.com.au

www.davidjones.com.au - very nice

Also another nice area to live - Rural View to left of Blacks Beach - lovely community, local shops, pub and up and coming - lots of new builds happening.

Cars - are you both aware of novated leases - most employers offer this system to allow you to buy/lease a car with their backing.

Bank accounts - suggested you set up before you leave and then your cards etc will be there when you arrive.

Sun protection - no lower than a 30 better to be higher - they sell over there in large litre pump bottles - she has 1 child and goes through approx 1 a month for all - advised to buy UV protection hats and glasses for all - I might do this before I leave - Sun Protective Clothing, Sun Hats, UV Protection Swimwear - Coolibar

As I remember other stuff will keep posting.

Angela.:biggrin:

Morning girls

Just been chatting with my friend in Adelaide on Facebook and she recommends the following:-

Things to buy before we leave

Bedding (Aussie beds are different sizes to ours)

Towels (expensive compared to us)

Cotton tops (also expensive)

Underwear (good old M & S) - not as good there and also expensive

Stores to check out for homeware

www.target.com.au

www.myers.com.au - similar to Debenhams

www.kmart.com.au

www.davidjones.com.au - very nice

Also another nice area to live - Rural View to left of Blacks Beach - lovely community, local shops, pub and up and coming - lots of new builds happening.

Cars - are you both aware of novated leases - most employers offer this system to allow you to buy/lease a car with their backing.

Bank accounts - suggested you set up before you leave and then your cards etc will be there when you arrive.

Sun protection - no lower than a 30 better to be higher - they sell over there in large litre pump bottles - she has 1 child and goes through approx 1 a month for all - advised to buy UV protection hats and glasses for all - I might do this before I leave - Sun Protective Clothing, Sun Hats, UV Protection Swimwear - Coolibar

As I remember other stuff will keep posting.

Angela.:biggrin:

Wow thanks Angela,

Thats all great. No I hadnt heard of novated leases but will be looking into that.

We were wondering about the sun tan cream, I suppose you just get used to it. I hate putting it on - especially the kids one as its so thick - its drives the eczema on my hands adsolutely mad. But ofcourse we always use it! But day in day out, it will become second nature applying it. Having a look into some of the outdoor facilities,I thought it was great to see some of these places supply sun tan cream - thats so good.

Just wondering -how can you go about setting up a bank account without an address or can you get away with it based on your UK address, obviously knowing you are moving there?

Thanks Angela, its all really helpful. We have opened a bank account and all you do is go to the bank when you arrive and they update the address etc and give you your cards.

We received the army discharge papers and now the solicitor wont certify them because they say we could have tampered with them, urgh I am so fed up. I have submitted them to the case officer and can only pray he accepts them.

I was looking at a website where you buy a whole rooms worth of furniture for £1000 in Mackay. Dont know what it would be like though. I am going to worry about it when I get there.

Thanks Angela, its all really helpful. We have opened a bank account and all you do is go to the bank when you arrive and they update the address etc and give you your cards.

We received the army discharge papers and now the solicitor wont certify them because they say we could have tampered with them, urgh I am so fed up. I have submitted them to the case officer and can only pray he accepts them.

I was looking at a website where you buy a whole rooms worth of furniture for £1000 in Mackay. Dont know what it would be like though. I am going to worry about it when I get there.

Hiya,

Ah Im sure they will be accepted, they are official documents. Do the solicitors not just certify photocopies to say - they are the same as the originals? Hope it works out. :wubclub:

Thats really helpful about the banks too, i didnt know that, was wondering.

Im just storing all these good bits of info from you guys. My OH is useless at researching ANYTHING! :rolleyes::cute:

Thanks

Hey ladies, guess who got their visa! Yep us! They accepted the army documents without the solicitor signing them. Booking our flights at the weekend for about 4 April. We both handed our notices in today at work.

Now hurry up I need my mates with me. xx

Hey ladies, guess who got their visa! Yep us! They accepted the army documents without the solicitor signing them. Booking our flights at the weekend for about 4 April. We both handed our notices in today at work.

Now hurry up I need my mates with me. xx

Woweee!:jiggy: Thats fab - youre on your way!!! :biggrin:

I thought those docs would be fine. I bet it all suddenly seems very real!

I hope your celebrating hun!

Looks like police checks are taking ppl on here more than the 10 days turn around, so hopefully 2 weeks we will get those.

Keep us posted on your plans

Kate xx

Will do, just added you on Facebook. Hope yours and Angela's comes quickly. I felt sick at first but now I am so excited I need to get there before I pop ha ha. Like a coiled spring.

Thanks Bobj you are the best.

Guest lala28

Hi I am also moving to mackay hopefully in April (me hubby & 2 boys). We are awaiting our visa which should hopefully be through within the next few weeks.

We briefly lived there 4 years ago and we will be living in blacks beach area as my kids loved the school there. :biggrin:

Hi I am also moving to mackay hopefully in April (me hubby & 2 boys). We are awaiting our visa which should hopefully be through within the next few weeks.

We briefly lived there 4 years ago and we will be living in blacks beach area as my kids loved the school there. :biggrin:

Hiya,

good to meet you! Did you live in Mackay? So i take it you and the family all liked it there? Fingers crossed for your visas soon.:cute:

Guest lala28
Hiya,

good to meet you! Did you live in Mackay? So i take it you and the family all liked it there? Fingers crossed for your visas soon.:cute:

Hi

We lived about 20 mins out of Mackay city centre (Blacks beach). It's so hard to gage where best to live until you actually get there. Yes we did like it and there has been a lot of development over the past 4 year and I think Mackay will continue to grow, which is a good thing.

When will you be moving there?

Laura :biggrin:

Guest lala28

Hi Lexi

I live not far from newcastle. Im in Ashington.

The big differneces we found was having nothing familiar around you. Eg I missed shops like greggs lol even though I dont go in there haha. Also the travel distance. On a map places like rockhampton look like theyre just a short drive away but the reality is more like a 7 hour drive so at times I felt quite isolated. However they now have the lagoon and they have extended the shopping centre and developed the whole area more. It is a beautiful place to live. Have you or your partner got jobs to got to?

Laura :)

Congratulations Carrie - you must be so excited - we should be about 4 weeks behind you - we are waiting for the immigration person to contact us - hopefully today/tomorrow from Steves new job then it will go crazy - their 457 approval window is 2-4 weeks - sooooooo excited and hi to Laura - brill our little groups is getting bigger but how weird you are all from the Newcastle area :)

Hi Lexi

I live not far from newcastle. Im in Ashington.

The big differneces we found was having nothing familiar around you. Eg I missed shops like greggs lol even though I dont go in there haha. Also the travel distance. On a map places like rockhampton look like theyre just a short drive away but the reality is more like a 7 hour drive so at times I felt quite isolated. However they now have the lagoon and they have extended the shopping centre and developed the whole area more. It is a beautiful place to live. Have you or your partner got jobs to got to?

Laura :)

Hi Laura,

Just wondering with you saying you felt quite isolated - what sorts of things did you do with your spare time/ groups etc? Is there many places to visit for coffee etc? Would just be nice to get an idea of what its like. Im a stay at home mum, which was great while all my mummy friends were on maternity leave, taking the kids out etc- but then they all went back to work and I get so bored, well lonely i suppose ...VERY busy, but bored lol! xx

We live in Rowlands Gill. My OH is hopefully getting a job as a diesel fitter working within mining industry.

Kate xx

Congratulations Carrie - you must be so excited - we should be about 4 weeks behind you - we are waiting for the immigration person to contact us - hopefully today/tomorrow from Steves new job then it will go crazy - their 457 approval window is 2-4 weeks - sooooooo excited and hi to Laura - brill our little groups is getting bigger but how weird you are all from the Newcastle area :)

Hope you hear soon! very exciting! xx

Guest lala28

My hubby is a miner lol.

There are plenty cafe's/coffee shops and im sure there are mother & toddler groups out there. there a lots of kids play parks. I'm not sure about other groups but they'll be out there somewhere. :biggrin:

In my spare time I sunbathed and visited friends I'd made, oh & looked around the shops of course

Hi Laura,

We are in Blyth! How close are we! My Husband has a job as a Civil Engineer in Mackay (Sydney Street). I am going to be a stay at home Mammy and spend time with my little boy. We are going to be staying in Slade Point at first but as soon as we find our own place we will be moving.

Dont worry Kate we wont be isolated, we will hang out with each other and like Laura says its more developed now.

Eeee yeah Angela very excited. Just looking at flights and trying to get the cheapest (any tips on websites would be good). We are going to book this weekend when Jamie comes home from Liverpool.

Guest lala28

OMG lol. At least there will be a familiar accent when we start to feel homesick!!

It's a beautiful place and a fab place to bring kids up. When are you planning on going?

Laura :jiggy:

Archived