Whos going to Mackay

Still-a-dream!

Guest karl276

hi all

i have copyed and pasted this from the qld gov page found with a ask.com search

pagehttp://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Visitors-and-new-residents/International-drivers/Getting-a-Queensland-licence-for-overseas-licence-holders.aspx#prescribed_countries

You are here:

1. Home
  2. Licensing
  3. Driving in Queensland with an interstate or foreign licence
  4. Driving in Queensland with a foreign licence
  5. Getting a Queensland licence (for overseas licence holders)

Getting a Queensland licence (for overseas licence holders)

Car and motorbike licence holders

If you are applying for a Queensland car or motorbike driver licence (class C, RE or R) and you hold, or have held within the past five years, a driver licence other than a learner licence, that corresponds to a class C, RE or R licence, granted:

• from New Zealand or a prescribed country, you will not be required to complete a written road rules test or a practical driving test
  • from any other country - you will need to pass a written road rules test and a practical driving test to be eligible for a Queensland driver licence.

Heavy vehicle licence holders

If you are applying for a Queensland heavy vehicle driver licence (class LR, MR, HR, HC or MC) and you hold, or have held within the past five years, a driver licence, other than a learner licence, that corresponds to a heavy vehicle licence, granted:

• from New Zealand - you will need to successfully complete the written road rules test for heavy vehicles
  • from a country other than New Zealand - you will need to successfully complete the written road rules test and the practical driving test for that class of vehicle.

Applicants that wish to transfer a New Zealand multi-combination licence (class MC) will also need to complete the Multi Combination Driving Experience Declaration form (F3272) and provide evidence confirming their ability to drive a B-double or road train.

The getting a licence section of this website has more information about the graduated licensing system and how to obtain a licence.

Prescribed Countries

The following countries are recognised by the Department of Transport and Main Roads as prescribed countries, as defined in schedule 4 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management – Driver Licensing) Regulation 2010 - (external territories of recognised countries are excluded):

• Austria
  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Croatia
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Guernsey
  • Ireland
  • Isle of Man†
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Jersey
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta‡
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Singapore
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America.

† Isle of Man is prescribed only in relation to driver licences granted on or after 1 April 1991.

‡ Malta is prescribed only in relation to driver licences granted on or after 2 January 2004.

Services online

Related information

Last reviewed: 25 February 2011

i new i had read some where that i / we all didnt have to take a test again just a straight swop over can be done the day you land :biggrin::biggrin:

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest piper84

Hi Karl

Thats a relief :biggrin: was hard enough for me to pass the test once lol, I have a full Iirsh licience so glad to see Ireland on that list

Dublingirl,We havent got visas yet, just when it seems we have sent all required paperwork, get another email asking for more certified copies of this that and the other :confused: I know what you mean about trying to clear out and pack up, its a nightmare really trying to decide what to keep and what to bring! I am guessing from your name that you are maybe based in Ireland also?

Wow Missbehaving! big step, congrats, one step closer to oz!!!

We are still stuck on sorting out short term rentals atm, I am still hoping that I might be able to secure a long term rental from here as I have a contact in Mackay that might be willing to view properties for me :eek: Would much rather move straight into a long term rental and not have the girls moved from pillar to post while we try to find somewhere x

Guest karl276

piper84; Would much rather move straight into a long term rental and not have the girls moved from pillar to post while we try to find somewhere x

hi piper

we have famaily in australia already and all they have said is that we are to get the kids settled first and then all the rest will fall into place,keep the things around the house as they are use to here in the uk and we can understand what they are saying with haveing the kids pushed from piller to post we luckly have somewhere to saty when we land and then we can look for are long rentals and settle in and get use to the ozzy ways of life

with the licence we have sat and done the theory test and i failed everyone but the wife past all of them (show off :jiggy:) but this is just down to the way the signs are and the police directions but we will all get use to them

im glad that it helped you out and one less thing to worrie about

thanks

karl beck and the little ones

Hi There, We heading to Mackay July or August but not sure where to rent yet as husband going to head over first see how he likes job and which area would be best as we have the kids to think of to, My daughter (14yrs) and my son (5yrs) will be going to school so have been in contact with a few schools and have been assured of places for them. Really excited ......if anyone can give us advice on area's, schools etc I would really appreciate it

Hi Dublin girl

We dont have any kids just the beagles but at least yours grow up :biglaugh: if I can help with anything as leaving at the end of May just shout xx

Hi guys

Have been a bit quiet of late as soooo much to do and so little time :arghh:

If anyone who hasnt yet wants to hook up Facebook give us a shout - some of us from the early posts have done and it is really nice to put a face to the name and help us stick together throughout this amazing adventure - Karl please send your request again as I deleted as wasnt sure who you were :embarrassed:

Guest Dublingirl
hi all

i have copyed and pasted this from the qld gov page found with a ask.com search

pagehttp://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Licensing/Visitors-and-new-residents/International-drivers/Getting-a-Queensland-licence-for-overseas-licence-holders.aspx#prescribed_countries

You are here:

1. Home

2. Licensing

3. Driving in Queensland with an interstate or foreign licence

4. Driving in Queensland with a foreign licence

5. Getting a Queensland licence (for overseas licence holders)

Getting a Queensland licence (for overseas licence holders)

Car and motorbike licence holders

If you are applying for a Queensland car or motorbike driver licence (class C, RE or R) and you hold, or have held within the past five years, a driver licence other than a learner licence, that corresponds to a class C, RE or R licence, granted:

• from New Zealand or a prescribed country, you will not be required to complete a written road rules test or a practical driving test

• from any other country - you will need to pass a written road rules test and a practical driving test to be eligible for a Queensland driver licence.

Heavy vehicle licence holders

If you are applying for a Queensland heavy vehicle driver licence (class LR, MR, HR, HC or MC) and you hold, or have held within the past five years, a driver licence, other than a learner licence, that corresponds to a heavy vehicle licence, granted:

• from New Zealand - you will need to successfully complete the written road rules test for heavy vehicles

• from a country other than New Zealand - you will need to successfully complete the written road rules test and the practical driving test for that class of vehicle.

Applicants that wish to transfer a New Zealand multi-combination licence (class MC) will also need to complete the Multi Combination Driving Experience Declaration form (F3272) and provide evidence confirming their ability to drive a B-double or road train.

The getting a licence section of this website has more information about the graduated licensing system and how to obtain a licence.

Prescribed Countries

The following countries are recognised by the Department of Transport and Main Roads as prescribed countries, as defined in schedule 4 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management – Driver Licensing) Regulation 2010 - (external territories of recognised countries are excluded):

• Austria

• Belgium

• Canada

• Croatia

• Denmark

• Finland

• France

• Germany

• Greece

• Guernsey

• Ireland

• Isle of Man†

• Italy

• Japan

• Jersey

• Luxembourg

• Malta‡

• Netherlands

• Norway

• Portugal

• Singapore

• Spain

• Sweden

• Switzerland

• United Kingdom

• United States of America.

† Isle of Man is prescribed only in relation to driver licences granted on or after 1 April 1991.

‡ Malta is prescribed only in relation to driver licences granted on or after 2 January 2004.

Services online

Related information

Last reviewed: 25 February 2011

i new i had read some where that i / we all didnt have to take a test again just a straight swop over can be done the day you land :biggrin::biggrin:

Thats great news thanks Karl:jiggy:

Guest Dublingirl

Yes Piper from Dublin and still here although counting down the days:wink: untill we're all in the sun. Got a list of area's from job in Mackay that are suppose to be really nice : Mt Pleasant, Glenella, Northview, Beaconsfield & Andergrove so been concentrating on rental properties in these area's.

Thanks Jellybeagle maybe when you go out there you could give us the heads up on what area's would be best. Would just love to live by the sea:yes:

Guest piper84

Interesting, company sent us a list too, not sure if that common practice, could be the same place! Orionstone is the name of the place my husband will be working, can't wait to get going myself now :biggrin: if we could just get accommodation sorted for the first week or so now we would be flying :cool:

Guest Dublingirl

Know exactly what you mean spent more time with the solicitor getting the copies certified than in work but haven't heard anything back since they put the application in so I'm hoping that is a good sign. :huh: Did you register with any of the letting agencies as sent a couple of mails but heard nothing back yet.

Guest piper84

I know that feeling! if I get one more email asking for certified copies I'll be fit to scream :biglaugh: We rang 5 letting agencies on Friday night (Saturday morning Mackay) and left our details with them, explained what we were looking for etc. found Mackay Rentals very helpful, they have been back in contact since to let us know they are keeping an eye for us. Have also contacted a car dealership as well to start the ball rolling there also, dont fancy being without a car too long with two small children in tow :eek:

I would definitely think no news is good news with the visa application :biggrin:

Hi Dublin girl

Great areas by the sea - Blacks Beach, Eimeo, Dolphin Heads, Rural View - if you want to go slightly further north - Slade Point, Bucasia (gorgeous), Seaforth (even more gorgeous) hey BobJ - all with brill bus links http://www.mackaytransit.com.au/services/routeservices/catching-bus-tips http://www.mackaytransit.com.au/media/pdf/mackayng010408.pdf or in the south near Sarins - Grasstree beach, campwin beach and sarina beach.

Guest MissBehaving

Not sure what it will be like catching public transport again... I can't remember the last time i didn't have a car.

We will be selling ours here and buying one when we get to Mackay - hopefully pretty soon after we arrive.

Not sure what it will be like catching public transport again... I can't remember the last time i didn't have a car.

We will be selling ours here and buying one when we get to Mackay - hopefully pretty soon after we arrive.

Us too misbehaving - us girls will have to stick together and sort out a car pool - the buses are subsidised as well so a lot cheaper and nicer than here :biggrin:

Guest MissBehaving
Us too misbehaving - us girls will have to stick together and sort out a car pool - the buses are subsidised as well so a lot cheaper and nicer than here :biggrin:

Do you think that Mackay know's what they are letting themselves in for??

Do you think that Mackay know's what they are letting themselves in for??

With all the geordie girls going (apologies ladies :biggrin:) they dont know what's about to hit - forget the cyclones - they havent seen anything yet :wink:

With all the geordie girls going (apologies ladies :biggrin:) they dont know what's about to hit - forget the cyclones - they havent seen anything yet :wink:

bigemo_harabe_net-163.gifbigemo_harabe_net-163.gifbigemo_harabe_net-163.gif

Hope you lot never get to experience a cyclone:arghh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Dublingirl

Oh that's a good idea piper will have to ring them and leave our details with em, is it just me or do the cars seem rather expensive for what your getting as had a look at a few and they defintely not as cheap as Ireland at the moment:eek: .

Will check out those area's now Jellybeagle tnx :yes: think I spend half my day looking at Mackay on the internet cant wait 2 see if for real!!

Guest karl276

hi all

next wednesday a new 8 part serise starts on itv 1 at 7:30pm called poms in paradise it talks to people that moved out to australia as £10er's and then also families that have moved in more recent years it looks to be based around the gold cost.

thanks karl

Guest MissBehaving

Hi Karl

I have OH ready to record... I feel like a sponge at the moment - trying to suck up everything I can about Australia - in particular Queensland.

How are things going for you on this side?

We put our house on the market this week..... YIKES!!!

Guest karl276

hello missbehaving

we have all the paper work in place both for the uk and australia just need to get a passport for the new arival when she does get here, we are waiting for what was called a departure email which gives us the lowdown on the whole move from here.

luckly we dont have a house to sell in the uk just phone up the landlord and tell them the keys are in the frunt door.

i have spent hours online looking whats hot and whats not house prices and furniture shops food and whats around for the kids to do becky says she has become a australian widow lol even reading the local news to see whats happening more than the kentish express lol

cars are the thing that gets me the most the price and the change off the models but thats something that we will deal with when we get there think that we will rent a place and then look at buying a place once we have had a good look around and found what we like

i'm waiting to talk to a old work mate that has just come back from australia he was working for the same company that im going out with and he lived in mackay so what he has to say will be intresting and what ever he does say i will post on here.

hope that the house sale goes well and quick

thanks karl

Hi everyone, Im just wondering your opinions, as so far it seems everyone is heading North of the river. I was just wondering, if you have chosen an area you are looking to rent in, what made you chose that area? We are just at a loss of which areas to look into. I know we will get a much better idea when we get there anyway, but just want to start getting prepared.:biggrin:

Hope everyone is ok, Ive not posted in a while because we are sort out 'stuck in limbo' but hopefully we will be signed and sealed soon.

Kate x

Guest MissBehaving
Hi everyone, Im just wondering your opinions, as so far it seems everyone is heading North of the river. I was just wondering, if you have chosen an area you are looking to rent in, what made you chose that area? We are just at a loss of which areas to look into. I know we will get a much better idea when we get there anyway, but just want to start getting prepared.:biggrin:

Hope everyone is ok, Ive not posted in a while because we are sort out 'stuck in limbo' but hopefully we will be signed and sealed soon.

Kate x

Hi Kate

We are looking to go North of the River because OH's company is going to be in Beaconsfield - so since he is going to be the main breadwinner!!!!!!!!:wub:!!!!!!!! - we thought it made sense to base ourselves there. Also - I guess on a more selfish note - the houses up there seem to be newer and I do love a MODERN house!!!

However, I guess things may change slightly when we get there if we find that Blacks Beach, Bucasia, Eimeo are not the areas we thought they were.:wideeyed:

Where are you looking??

Guest MissBehaving

Hey Karl...

I know what you mean about spending hours in front of a computer - I am the same. If I am not on here I am looking at jobs (for me) or estate agents, or just looking at the blinking surf webcam's.

I am still feeling scared and anxious about things - but I guess when the house gets sold it will be more real.

Just been to Dobbies and saw some lovely things for the garden and OH just told me to 'walk away' .......

:yellow_guy_crazy_ty

Archived