Is the grass greener?

Guest craigkimbo

Guest craigkimbo

I have lived in QLD for nearly 2 years now and have struggled to find permanent work since day one. People tell me Melbourne, Perth, Sydney are the places to be for work and life style. Is this just another case of people thinking the grass is greener on the other side or is it true, are these states good places to live compared to QLD?

Guest siamsusie
I have lived in QLD for nearly 2 years now and have struggled to find permanent work since day one. People tell me Melbourne, Perth, Sydney are the places to be for work and life style. Is this just another case of people thinking the grass is greener on the other side or is it true, are these states good places to live compared to QLD?

I am not in Queensland so cannot comment... I guess it depends what occupation you hold etc.

Is your CV geared towards the Australian market?

Have you tried applying for other occupations other than your own?

There are bound to be some suggestions for you and I wish you all the luck... just bumping this up for you..

Susie x:wubclub:

Whether the grass is really greener depends largely on what field of work you're in. In some parts of Queensland there are still mining and related jobs aplenty (well, according to my neighbour who gets flown in and out to work in NW Queensland). On the other hand, if you're looking for the kind of work that is in large corporate head offices, it is slim pickings because there are few located here. For TV /media then Sydney is where the jobs are. It can be quite hard to break into some industries in Qld too, getting known and networking is a big deal here, more than is logical really. If there are industry groups etc for your type of work that may help.

Guest sh7t man no way

im not sure but i think queensland has the most to offer in the jobs market--so it dosent look that promising in other states--i would suggest you research other states,as much as you researched austraila 2 years ago--its a costly exercise moving your life interstate--good luck in what you do

My partner and I setup email notification from seek.com.au filtered to our skills and for every major city. This gives a good idea of what's out there for our specialty. We're both in IT and ranking from most to least it's Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide. Sydney with over 100s of jobs down to Adelaide to a dozen or less. Per day.

You really need to say what type of work you are looking for as that will also make a huge difference.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Ropey HOFF
We are in a similar dilemma on where to go, currently thinking Perth or Sydney - Sydney be better for jobs but we know more people in Perth... its nver going to be an easy decision..

Perth is supposed to be booming as well, Sydney is really dear for the cost of living, i think if your able to, just try it some place and if it isn't working try somewhere else. Best of luck everyone.