going it alone with telecoms

whitewash

Hi folks ,

I'm consulting with a migration agent at the moment and my application is going to be under the 176 State Sponsorship path .

We discussed the options of SS and what I'm hearing is WA is doing pretty well economically speaking and could be a good contender for work prospects .

I work in telecoms - anyone know the score in WA for this type of work ..is there much going on ?

Reading the boards and looking at every thread where Perth / WA pops up I'm all over them trying to suss the place out .

From what I can make out WA seems like a lovely place to be with the laidback lifestyle, weather and great for kids etc .. but me I don't have kids and it's going to be just me taking the plunge .

From what I can see most people live family lives out in the suburbs , being from the city I'm kind of worried I might get there and go stir crazy alone in suburbia .

I guess my question is - is there a SS location that might suit a single guy better than WA before I sign on the dotted line ? ..anyone who has been in a similar situation or has any advice / input I'd really appreciate it .

Thanks

Dan

I hope Cerberus1 doesn't mind me stealing his post:

"If you are moving to Perth and want to know about schools in the area, suburbs or need help finding accommodation or friends in the area, then why not take a look at our sister site PerthPoms: Western Australia Migration & Expat Forum "

I'm also looking at Perth & SS, but I can't help in your question I'm afraid.

WA I've heard referred to as "the new Britain" and "Britain Mk.2" and comments such as "all the pommies are gowanna Perth these days"

It's true. There's a big buzz around Perth these days... apparently there are whole communities there which are almost entirely British expat families. :wideeyed:

I can't comment. I've never been. That's just the word on the street... :eek:

As for telecoms work situation? Not a clue! Hope you find something soon & good luck :cute:

Nice one Luke ,

it's always good to get the word on the street , If there's a buzz around the town ..it's probably safe to say there's probably a bit of work there too ,things here have dried up big time and I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before a letter arrives on my desk dropping a bomb ..it's happening to people I work with every day .

Seems thousands are to heading to sunnier climbs , think I might give Perth a go .

Thanks again ..take care of yourself

Dan

Guest mickr69

Hi

Not sure what area of telecoms you work in. Optus have a office out there and I presume telstra do as well. Maybe contact them and see if they have anything

Never been to Perth so cannot comment. Its hot out that way though!

• 1 month later...

There seems to be a lot of telecoms work in Brisbane (since floods) and Adelaide. Perth on the other hand has not been coming up much on our searches on seek.com.au and BE Jobmail.

A lot of the jobs though seem to be contracts so you're going down the best route with your type of visa! There's tons of telecoms work in oz at present. Wish I could say the same for the UK. (Still here)

Archived