CDR Civil Engineer Assesment

Leach Family

Hello,

My husband is a Civil Engineer/Manager with over 15years hands on construction experience and training.

Over all 15years he has been employed full time and the last 6 have been self employed, as he launched his own surveying company TJL Surveys.

We are hoping to apply for a visa for Australia, but because he doesnt have ‘a degree’, we want to know if he will be eligible to apply for assessment via the CDR route?

I have read many mixed messages and so before I start on the vast amount of paper work that is the CDR, I would like confirmation on the above please.

It is so frustrating when you have the knowledge and skills, as 15years continued employment and constant progression within the construction profession shows, yet you don’t have the bit of paper to prove it and therefore not eligible?

Do Engineers Australia take into consideration that not all people are in a position to be able to go to university financially, yet are still as committed in their work and have the drive to succeed within their profession as the ones that do? For my sake I hope so.

The same company has used my services as they find my precision workmanship and professionalism second to none and have written me an excellent reference.

I visited Australia (Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne) and completed two voluntary work trials which went well, I have also applied for and received my blue card. I don’t know if any of these points may help if I did apply via CDR?

Thank you for your time, I look forward to your reply…….I hope it is positive (fingers crossedJ)

Hello,

My husband is a Civil Engineer/Manager with over 15years hands on construction experience and training.

Over all 15years he has been employed full time and the last 6 have been self employed, as he launched his own surveying company TJL Surveys.

We are hoping to apply for a visa for Australia, but because he doesnt have ‘a degree’, we want to know if he will be eligible to apply for assessment via the CDR route?

I have read many mixed messages and so before I start on the vast amount of paper work that is the CDR, I would like confirmation on the above please.

It is so frustrating when you have the knowledge and skills, as 15years continued employment and constant progression within the construction profession shows, yet you don’t have the bit of paper to prove it and therefore not eligible?

Do Engineers Australia take into consideration that not all people are in a position to be able to go to university financially, yet are still as committed in their work and have the drive to succeed within their profession as the ones that do? For my sake I hope so.

The same company has used my services as they find my precision workmanship and professionalism second to none and have written me an excellent reference.

I visited Australia (Brisbane, Adelaide and Melbourne) and completed two voluntary work trials which went well, I have also applied for and received my blue card. I don’t know if any of these points may help if I did apply via CDR?

Thank you for your time, I look forward to your reply…….I hope it is positive (fingers crossedJ)

Hi

Your post is a little bit confusing as you said he is a civil ENGINEER but he does not have a DEGREE!

Usually a person with a bachelor of science in civil engineering is called civil engineer.

As far as I remember experience and engineering knowledge which is obtained by attending relevant courses are two different subjects. I am a civil engineer and been involved in construction over the past 10 years and got my positive assessment through CDR channel. I have many civil foreman who have +10 years of experience and never called them an engineer.

However, I think an engineering degree is a must for obtaining EA positive assessment

Yes he has been working in this role for 10years and for the last 6years he has been working self employed for different contractors.

He has an excellent reputation within the local construction industry and this is how he gets the majority of his work, as employers know his skills, knowledge and experience will result in a prescion finish.

Just four years ago, he was employed to take over a job from a newly qualified engineer...... sometimes qualifications can not exceed experience and life skills. (Although for migration purposes they seem to do so, and in some cases this is very silly, as from what ive read most people do not even continue in that line of work anyway, so how is that helping oz and its skills shortage?)

Why do they call it a 'Skills' shortage when the majority of the assesment process is based mainly on qualifications/degrees? Its sooooooo fustrating.

Thankyou for your thoughts though, We'll keep trying the sponsorship route and maybe try the CDR....you never know, one day 15years paid experience may count for something! Fingers crossed :)

Claire and Tony