Hoping to migrate from Northern Ireland

Guest geoffbell46

Guest geoffbell46

Hi, I just found this forum when I started investigating the possibility of Migrating to Australia from Northern Ireland with my partner. I'm 41, she is a couple of years younger and so far have found the forum to be full of usefull info. We haven't even started the paperwork yet as regards the actual application process, so any advice would be welcome. I have a couple of questions (to start with anyway):cool:

1) Is being in Northern Ireland going to make it more difficult as opposed to being on the UK Mainland?

2) Am I/We too old to only be starting this process now?

3) Any advice on the best part of Australia to try for? (I realise this probably depends on our jobskills)

Thanks in advance Geoff

1) No

2) No, but depending on other factors your age may play against you when looking at the points you can get in your assessment. There are plenty of people that move over at your age, and later, but you may have more avenues to explore than others.

3) Yes, as you say it could come down to your jobskills. Seeing what each state requires is a big factor, especially if you are of "advancing" years. ;) But I would recommend Tasmania. Very like N. Ireland in terms of countryside, but much more stunning at times and of course it's warmer. But it also comes down to what type of lifestyle you want.

If you want a scalding hot climate, Tasmania isn't for you! But there are so many different factors that you should be taking into account before choosing where you want to go. City? Coast? Rural? It's all a very subjective affair.

Guest geoffbell46

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm sure I/We will have a lot more questions as we progress through the process. But at least I know where to come for all, or at least most, of the answers I may need.

Guest Ableseaman

Hi Geoff,

Also from NI, Cookstown in fact and have decided to move to Oz aswell. Melbourne being my preferred choice.

I've been doing alot of research on emigrating, VISAs etc and I'm hoping to go down a different route to you as I plan to get a job with my current company Fujitsu so I'm eleigible for a 457 extended temporary business visa. (Quick VISA turnaround and fewer checks)

I too wondered about the issue of being from NI and from what I have learned, it is no issue at all. In fact, you have 2 options. As we are entitled to a British AND Irish passport you can choose which passport to use to apply for your VISA. I doubt it would make too much difference really as things like police checks would still be directed towards NI ie. the PSNI. Just make sure that when you arrive (assuming you're successful) you show the right passport that matches your application!!!

Graeme.

Guest geoffbell46

Thanks for that, I think I'm gonna have to do some re-training before I apply. I'm a qualified fitter, but haven't worked at it for about 15 years. Working as a bus driver for the last 10 years and as a bread-man for 5 or 6 before that, so will have to see how it goes, just hope we haven't left it too late in life!

Guest Ableseaman

It's NEVER too late. Where there's a will there's a way! There are plenty of resettlement sites on the internet. Just google it. Can't remember exactly who, but there are some that give an initial free consultation so I'm sure they could tell you the best route to go down with regard to training etc if you are determined to go.

Hi guys,

Proof that people from Northern Ireland can do it, we landed in Brisbane 2 weeks ago after a long old slog between visas, getting the house sold etc. Basically its no different than for the other UK guys, but you will have to go to Dublin for your medicals now, instead of somewhere in the North (we were the last ones who were able to do them in the North, if we'd waited 4 more days we'd have had to go to Dublin for them). Police checks are done through the same service as the rest of the UK, you just have to detail a bit more at the back of the form if you've lived in Northern Ireland.

All the best with it :)

Guest geoffbell46

Excellent, the more we talk about it between the two of us, the more convinced we are that we should give it a go. My OH is just about to start her training as a Sports and Remedial Massage Therapist, I just need to figure out what I'm gonna do as regards work.

Then we just need to figure out the other 1000's of things we have to do:wink:

Did you use an agent and if so which one?

Archived