Guest sunilisa

Pre schools / Kindergarten in Brisbane

Guest sunilisa

Hi, I have a little boy who will be 3.5 yrs when we arrive in Brisbane in July 2011. He currently attends a nursery 5 mornings a week in the UK, which he loves. I am trying to research nurseries in Brisbane and have applied to C&K centre in Carindale, I understand these centres are very well regarded but they can only offer 5 day / fortnights and waiting lists are long :sad:

I really wanted to continue with 5 days and have come across an ABC Learning Centre that looks good via website, does anyone have any info regarding these childrens centres.

Any info would be much appreciated as the clock is ticking and July is fast approaching.....:eek:

Thanks lisa.x:twitcy:

Hi Lisa

My daughter went to an ABC centre and i couldnt fault it. I am a believer in the staff making a good kindy not the name. When you arrive, im sure if you drive around the area you are interested you woud also find other privatey run kindys as most areas have access to 2 or 3 centres.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest shusselmann

We moved to Sydney with two preschool children last year, I expect Brisbane is a little more laid back than Sydney but we found getting a place at the best preschools and day care centres mid-year was tricky. If you are really keen on the look of a centre via the web, I'd recommend waitlisting your son ASAP (spending a few dollars now will be worth it to avoid missing out). Having said that I think choosing day care centres is a very personal thing; what one mum loves, another might hate! You'll only really know for sure about a place once you're there and meet the staff in person. Good Luck!

I agree with Cal, it's the staff that make the centre good or bad usually. C and K certainly do have a good reputation though. ABC also does. They went into receivership a couple of years ago, and many of the centres were bought out by private entities, but retain the ABC name.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest sunilisa

Many thanks for all your responses. I will definitely go visit the centres once we arrive but wanted to get his name down on a few waiting lists as everywhere seems to be full and have such long lists!!!!!!

Same with the schools we have been on the waiting lists for two schools in Brisbane (recommended by PIO members) and neither have a place for my eldest and we arrive in July....getting stressed now:yellow_guy_crazy_ty

Guest sunilisa

Quick Update.

One of the schools in Brisbane have a place for my eldest (9yrs), when we arrive...I am so happy. :biggrin::biggrin:

Well thats one down....one to go...

How did you get them a place, do you not need to show proof of address for a place? I've been contacting schools but will only get in once there and can show a rental agreement that puts us in the catchment area. Or is it private schools you are looking at?

Thanks

Guest sunilisa

Yes it is a Private School, not sure about state/church schools. All depending on interview though...

sunilisa.x

Quick Update.

One of the schools in Brisbane have a place for my eldest (9yrs), when we arrive...I am so happy. :biggrin::biggrin:

Well thats one down....one to go...

That's great news Sunlisa!

What area are you going to be living in?

Love

Rudi

x

Guest sunilisa

Hi Rudi,

We have an ok from MBBC and hubby needs to get to Greenslopes for work so we need somewhere in-between... Still awaiting response from Ormiston College.

We are thinking of Carindale....but open to any other suggestions of appropriate areas to view on arrival that we could travel to both.

sunilisa.x

That's great news! I would keep chasing Ormiston - it's well worth it!!

Greenslopes is not that far at all, so you could really look anywhere from Manly to Carindale.

My only suggestion regarding living in Carindale would be that you would have to fight the morning traffic towards the motorway heading towards school. You might be better living east of the Gateway.

I would take some time when you get here to have a look around.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest sunilisa

Thanks for the advice Rudi, I hadn't considered the traffic by motorway, will have a look around the East side.

I will continue to chase Ormiston, problem is even if they get him a place in yr5 next Jan, they don't have a place at end of yr4 in Sept 2011, this means moving him when he's just settled.:dull:

Anyway will look around the Manly, Wynnum areas today.

Thanks once again...

sunilisa.x:biggrin:

Thanks for the advice Rudi, I hadn't considered the traffic by motorway, will have a look around the East side.

I will continue to chase Ormiston, problem is even if they get him a place in yr5 next Jan, they don't have a place at end of yr4 in Sept 2011, this means moving him when he's just settled.:dull:

Anyway will look around the Manly, Wynnum areas today.

Thanks once again...

sunilisa.x:biggrin:

Just another thing......Aussies move their kids around schools all the time. If you absolutely decided that you want your son at Moreton Bay, then I would stick with that. However, if you fall in love with Ormiston as a school, I would put your son in a local state school for a term and then move him. Mine have moved schools a number of times when we have moved and honestly, it's not been a problem and not effected their education.

Anyway, it's a choice that you have to make for what is best for your son! Good luck with it all!

Love

Rudi

x

Guest sunilisa
Just another thing......Aussies move their kids around schools all the time. If you absolutely decided that you want your son at Moreton Bay, then I would stick with that. However, if you fall in love with Ormiston as a school, I would put your son in a local state school for a term and then move him. Mine have moved schools a number of times when we have moved and honestly, it's not been a problem and not effected their education.

Anyway, it's a choice that you have to make for what is best for your son! Good luck with it all!

Love

Rudi

x

Just one other thing where would the closest beach be to manly and surrounds, not necessarily surf just paddle for little one...

Thanks

Just one other thing where would the closest beach be to manly and surrounds, not necessarily surf just paddle for little one...

Thanks

I think there is a little beach at Manly or Wynnum. There is a lovely big wading pool there which is filled with seawater......

We usually go to Raby Bay in Cleveland. There's 3 little beaches there and my kids love it.....although my 14 year old does get a bit bored!

Love

Rudi

x