Land & Build website for Northern Suburbs Brisbane

tfarrell

Guest The Joker

And I can recommend Ausbuild as a builder. We had Clarendon Homes build our first one. That was a nightmare. I was actually project managing the build myself in the end because their foremen and project managers were bloody useless. I got what I wanted in the end (and it cost THEM a lot more money). My neighbour had a house built by Clarendon Homes and didn't complain (he was an Aussie) about anything as the build progressed and left it until the house was finished. By then it was too late. The house was full of problems and defects and the builder wasn't interested.

Ausbuild, on the other hand, built two other houses for me and that was a dream. The few problems I did have (really, really minor in comparison to the Clarendon experience) they sent their foreman to meet me on site, took a look, agreed with me what the right resolution actions were to be and actually carried them out without fuss or argument. Now I know it will depend on whether you build during a boom or a lull (Clarendon was in a boom, one Ausbuild was in a boom and the other in a lull) and there are bound to be people who have gripes with Ausbuild, but my experience with them was light years better than the other mob.

I have also heard good things about Metricon Homes, but some not-so-good things about Dixon Homes. And steer well clear of Villaworld developments. Their houses are really poor quality with low grade fitouts and fixtures, they don't give you any choice and I have heard of several people where Villaworld just make so many mistakes - to the extent where they have used the wrong plans for houses and people have ended up with the wrong house (on more than one occassion). The second person I ended up helping them break the contract - the house design is a fundamental element of the contract but you'd be surprised how many people just put up with the bulls!t the builders give them.

If you are having a house built then my advice is - check and inspect regularly (I ended up doing it daily for 9 months) and complain WHENEVER anything is wrong. Complain at the time and get them to fix it up. It is too late afterwards. AND GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING, TAKE PHOTOS. The law basically states that with a building contract, if it isn't in writing then it didn't happen. The builders know it and take advantage of it. I even had to step outside of the law and cease payments to the builder at one stage. Contractually, I wasn't allowed to do it but I had had enough and refused to let their workmen on site (I owned the land so could do that, at least) until the issues were resolved to my complete satisfaction and at their expense. Suffice to say they were and it cost the builders a lot.

Archived