and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest readysteadies

Leaving sponsored state before two years commitment to live has been completed

Guest readysteadies

Hi there

We are currently waiting to hear back from our state sponsorship application to Victoria. We applied 7 weeks ago (29th Dec 10). We are hoping to apply for a permanent skilled visa as my husband is a carpenter with his skills assessment due next week.

We wanted to move to Perth, WA, however, due to the points system changing in July and my husband turning 40 in May of this year, the WA SS process would have taken too long and we'd have lost precious points.

Our immigration consultant recommended that we apply for SS to Vic as they have a faster thurnaround time and then at least we would gain entry into the country, even if it isn't the state we wanted to live in. The risk we would take is not getting into Oz at all.

My questions to you are:

• If we moved to Vic, do we have to stay there for two years or is this just a moral obligation as I've heard people say?
  • If my husband were to be offered a job in Perth, WA, despite having looked for work in Vic, could we inform the relevant bodies that we were moving states without jeopordising our permanent visa?
  • Could they force us to stay in Vic as this would effectively be making my husband unemployed?!
  • Also, and the most important question, if we did move states early, would this affect the possibility of us sponsoring my parents and sister in the future? For example, would it mean we have a negative record with the immigration dept?

We'd really appreciate any help or advice you can give us. Thanks!