Sign in to follow this  
Guest drillerqueen

Regional skilled move

Guest drillerqueen

My husband and I are both dentists looking to take advantage of the new increased age limits this July with a move to Oz. Need to move to a regional area with state sponsorship to secure the points we need but keen to live on coast. Bringing our daughter with us and she will need a place at a regional uni (looking to read criminology). Loved WA but some people have told us better to head to east coast. Love the sun so considering Sunshine Coast but not keen on mozzies! Thought of Geelong in Victoria but worried that weather may be disappointing.

Totally baffled by our choices and would appreciate any advice or comments.

Working with an agent, Skills Assessment submitted to ADC, IELTS booked for early March but need to apply for state sponsorship next..............help!:yes:

Welcome to PIO, Australia is a vast and diverse country so no wonder the choice is baffling.

It may be your only route but I would think very carefully about living in a regional area, outside the major cities is vast nothingness, it is not like rural England. I don't know for sure but I'm not aware of any regional universities in WA - there are some with regional campuses but mostly to cater for agriculture students.

Okay found this link

Regional Living : Higher Education Regional Western Australia

Peel district might be your best bet, there are fast trains to Perth from Mandurah which in itself would be a nice enough place to live.

Can you possibly come for a reccie? It would be so much better if you could see places for yourself.

Good luck

Jules x

Guest drillerqueen

Thanks for that Jules. Came to WA a few months ago and loved it.

Totally baffled by choice of state and wondering whether it would be easier for our daughter to come under her own student visa so she can go to a metropolitan university. Unsure how she'd then get to stay on afterwards but guess we could sponsor her once we get permanent residency.

Thanks for that Jules. Came to WA a few months ago and loved it.

Totally baffled by choice of state and wondering whether it would be easier for our daughter to come under her own student visa so she can go to a metropolitan university. Unsure how she'd then get to stay on afterwards but guess we could sponsor her once we get permanent residency.

I would expect a student visa would be a bad idea as there is no guarentee she can stay afterwards. Just because you are living in a regional area does she HAVE to go to uni in a regional area? There are places you could live that she could travel daily to Perth.

Can't help with other states although South Australia and Tasmania are ALL regional so you could live in Adelaide or Hobart. I would think given the size of Sydney and Melbourne you would be much further out before it's regional.

Where would your daughter have most post uni opportunities? Sunshine Coast would be limited I would think, and WA possibly not great either - Victoria might be better for her?

Sorry probably confusing you more!

Jules