register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest Raymundo

857 Visa to Citizenship

Guest Raymundo

Can anyone give advise please. Currently I'm in Australia with an 857 Visa (Permanent Resident under the RSMS Scheme). I was granted the 857 Visa 1 year ago. Prior to this I had a 457 Visa which I held for 3-1/2 years. I have been in Australia for 4-1/2 years which makes me eligible for citizenship. My wife and 12-yr old son joined me here 3 years ago (2 years with a 457 Visa and 1 year with an 857 Visa). Their 857 Visa was granted as secondary applicants to mine as the primary applicant. If I apply for citizenship I can add my son along in the same application because he is under 18 years of age. However, my wife is not yet eligible for citizenship because of the residency requirement of at least 4 years. What happens to my wife's 857 Visa if and when my application for citizenship is approved ? Will her 857 Visa be cancelled ? If this is the case, can she apply for citizenship even if she lacks the required residency of 4 years on the grounds that our whole family is already living a life here in Australia and we will experience great difficulties if my wife is required to move out of Australia.

Hi Raymundo,

I am in the same boat..Just wondering if you found answers to your questions.

Thanks.

“If you don’t build your dream, someone else will hire you to help them build theirs.”

Her visa will not be cancelled - it is independent of yours. So if you apply for citizenship, your wifes visa will still be a PR and have validvisa until she is eligible for citizenship. Even once the 5 years of the visa has expired, she has the right to remain indefinitely in Australia, and would only require Resident Return Visa if she left Australia to be able to re-enter.

Edited by lebourvellec