Sparkies in Adelaide?

Guest Tom the Pom

Guest Tom the Pom

I'm an electrician hopefully heading for the Adelaide area and would like to make some contacts in the area so I can get straight into work (and getting my licence).

I have been mainly in the commercial/industrial industry but would consider domestic work.

I have had a full 4 year apprenticeship and another 16 years experience.

Any takers???

Tom

:spinny:Hiya Tom

Another sparky!! I think there will be more British sparkies in oz than in Britian soon! Sorry not in Adelaide(in fact not even in Australia yet but working on it )- but have heard it is easiest place to get your full licence. You still have to get your TRA and ARTC but there is a private company called PEER who do a course which is a lot shorter than going to a TAFE. Look up their website you might find out more info. Good luck

My OH has the same history as you and found no problem getting a start. He's too lazy to type so I had to beat this out of him. :err: Hope it helps!

He says the PEER course is a highly compacted course but has a lower pass rate, and that they give you the info you need to pass, but no more. TAFE has a higher success rate, though the statistic is brought down a bit by the amount of people who start the course, find it too hard, then drop out. He reckons he was given more information than he needed, but he enjoyed that - and you never know when it might come in useful! That isn't to promote TAFE over PEER, this is of course just his opinion and his experience!

OH told me that the firms here tend to be smaller than the big companies you have in the UK, so are unlikely to offer you work when you are still in the UK. Even the mines tend to prefer you to actually be here, and they seem pretty desperate! OH is an engineering manager for a few hospitals here and has had to employ a couple of times and didn't find it as easy as you might suppose -as with anywhere I guess, good sparkies get snapped up fast!

LC

PS. Should I include a legal disclaimer in case I've misquoted him....?:wideeyed:

Guest Tom the Pom

I can't wait to get down there and get licenced!!!

I'm not too worried about the tests - I not being cocky, I'm just confident I will get through easily.

Tom

Archived