175 Timelines & New Baby

Guest NeilEB

Here is my situation.

I have completed the skills assessment and been passed. I have my IELTS booked in a couple of weeks, and hope to have my GSM lodged within the next week or so.

My question is around timelines.

Is it really 2 years from lodging the application to visa being granted? If so, that brings another issue.

My wife & I would like to start trying for a baby within that time frame - can I 'add' a new arrival to the visa application once it's in progress? Or am I worrying about things way in advance?

You can add a new baby to your 175 application right up until when the visa is granted. You lodge a Change of Circumstances form 1022 and DIAC will tell you what is needed after that.

If the baby is born after your visa is granted, even if you haven't actually entered Australia to validate your visa, you will then have to apply (and pay $1735 if outside Australia and $2575 if you apply onshore)) for a separate Child visa for the baby. Better get cracking on the baby making eh!

Hmm, I guess so :-)

Am I right in my thinking that it will be about 2 years from lodging the visa application to recieving the visa?

Hmm, I guess so :-)

Am I right in my thinking that it will be about 2 years from lodging the visa application to recieving the visa?

Yes and no, my wife lodged her visa application in May 2009 and has only recently had it granted (and only then because of state sponsorship) and many applications last year made before September 2007 were cancelled and refunded.. My point is that even if the two years was a realistic timescale the visa grant is NOT a given result, and there is so much changing that is not easy to judge. A more knowledgable member may be able to provide a more specific idea but I would suggest two to three years for a 175 to be completed is reasonable, and then it is just a chance depending on your skills, quality of application and eventually what catagory you are in... I would strongly suggest you research thoroughly (read the DIAC website in depth etc.) and contact a few registered migration agents for a free initial consultation.

Hope that helps.

- 4lan.

Guest Harry A

Hi NeilEB

You are looking at 18-24 months, but you are doing the right thing, dont put your life on hold!

Similar situation to yourself but we are further down the process line. We lodged March 2010 176 visa WA ss and then wife fell pregnant in July 2010, then we got Case Officer this month requesting meds and checks but the wife can not have meds as it involves x-rays!

So now we will wait untill the baby is born before the whole family go through the meds.

Contacted the case officer to inform her of changes, NO PROBLEMS! Just add the baby on to visa application once born. SIMPLES!!!!

As i said, dont put your life on HOLD! It could take 18 months or it could take 5 years.

Hope this helps

Archived