485 - Temporary Residence (TR)

RegDwight

I am going crazy waiting for my TR to arrive. It has been almost 12 months since I applied way back in February of 2010.

I have not received any information from DIAC except for my file status changing to "Already Begun Further Processing" in December this 2010 and then nothing.

If you have been granted a 485, could you please share it here with some details to ease my conscience.

Thank you

According to the latest GSM processing information email I've seen (received on 6/2 so there will be a later one), the allocation dates for Skilled – Graduate subclass 485 visas are:

VC 485 (e-lodged) 16 December 2009

VC 485 (paper): 14 November 2009

So you're getting close but on 30/11, the dates were VC 485 (e-lodged) 1 November 2009 and

VC 485 (paper) 1 November 2009 so they haven't moved much since then.

I am going crazy waiting for my TR to arrive. It has been almost 12 months since I applied way back in February of 2010.

I have not received any information from DIAC except for my file status changing to "Already Begun Further Processing" in December this 2010 and then nothing.

If you have been granted a 485, could you please share it here with some details to ease my conscience.

Thank you

So you have lodged 485 from Mosambique?? Good... I think you are the first one of 485 offshore and that too in africa??:twitcy:

Patience RegDwight!

There's really nothing you can do. They'll hopefully process your application soon, you're only a couple of months away from the applications they're currently assessing.

Thanks mirob. I'm trying to hold up as best as I can :arghh:

Well ... focus on getting your ACS Re-assessment, so you can move up to Category 3 :cool:

Thank you

485 visa is for those who are gaining experience or English proficiency before they can get enough points to apply for Permanent Residency. I cannot understand your concern about getting this visa. As soon as you can apply for PR, just do it and you will get PR instead of 485. I have heard people never get 485, instead they go from Bridging visa (awaiting 485) straight to PR.

485 visa is for those who are gaining experience or English proficiency before they can get enough points to apply for Permanent Residency. I cannot understand your concern about getting this visa. As soon as you can apply for PR, just do it and you will get PR instead of 485. I have heard people never get 485, instead they go from Bridging visa (awaiting 485) straight to PR.

I've applied for both. A 485 and an 885. I assumed the 885 was going to take a long time to process so I applied for the 485 as well to allow me to travel without having to resort to the Bridging Visa B each time.

I've applied for both. A 485 and an 885. I assumed the 885 was going to take a long time to process so I applied for the 485 as well to allow me to travel without having to resort to the Bridging Visa B each time.

I guess you will never get 485 if you have already lodged an application for 885. They definitely do not care about your travelling issues. Doesn't it say in the eligibility requirements for 485 that you can apply for this visa ONLY if you cannot get enough points for 885?

I guess you will never get 485 if you have already lodged an application for 885. They definitely do not care about your travelling issues. Doesn't it say in the eligibility requirements for 485 that you can apply for this visa ONLY if you cannot get enough points for 885?

Really???? Well, that would NEVER make sense then. Why would they even allow someone to apply for two visas simultaneously? And just how on earth did I pull it off? / Sarcasm :wacko:

And if they don't care about traveling issues, then why is there a very permissive option for a BVB? Point is: There are many people who have done it, including folks on this forum and it is a precautionary measure. What a pompous tone you have, lady. Just answer the question without superlatives such as "never" and "don't care at all" - do you work there or something to be so well informed??

Why would they even allow someone to apply for two visas simultaneously?

There's pretty much nothing that you can fail 485 on but there's so much (politics - new government in place, quotas on migrants, categories, priorities etc) why your 885 application will be delayed.

You don't want to be in Australia on a Bridging Visa for years, it's heaps better to get the 485 visa even for 18 months.

There's pretty much nothing that you can fail 485 on but there's so much (politics - new government in place, quotas on migrants, categories, priorities etc) why your 885 application will be delayed.

You don't want to be in Australia on a Bridging Visa for years, it's heaps better to get the 485 visa even for 18 months.

Exactly, that was my sarcastic response to the woman above who claimed my application for 885 and 485 was a sham. How dare she...

Exactly, that was my sarcastic response to the woman above who claimed my application for 885 and 485 was a sham. How dare she...

Guys, please, calm down. It was just my guess...

That is what I can see on DIAC site:

"Who is this visa for?

This visa [485] is for you if you are an overseas student who:

is under 45 years of age

in the last six months has completed an eligible qualification(s) as a result of at least two years study in Australia

is unable to meet the passmark on the points test for the Skilled – Independent (Residence) visa

has the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and your nominated occupation is classified as either a 60 point occupation or a 50 point occupation."

I cannot see anywhere that 485 visa is for those who want to travel while waiting for 885.

Is 12 months a long wait for 485? And for how long can 885 be delayed then????

Is 12 months a long wait for 485? And for how long can 885 be delayed then????

They're still processing Dec 2009 485 applications. If you do DRC it's only supposed to take 1 - 2 months but it costs more as you have to use a migration agent.

There is so much uncertainty when it comes to the government, so you never know when the law changes. It usually does quite suddenly without any sorts of warnings. 2007 applicants in certain occupational groups were told they'd wait 6 months and they still haven't been assessed.

They're still processing Dec 2009 485 applications. If you do DRC it's only supposed to take 1 - 2 months but it costs more as you have to use a migration agent.

There is so much uncertainty when it comes to the government, so you never know when the law changes. It usually does quite suddenly without any sorts of warnings. 2007 applicants in certain occupational groups were told they'd wait 6 months and they still haven't been assessed.

DRC?

It seems very complicated to me now...I was planning to apply for 485 and wait for my assessment to be finalised and then immediately after getting the assessment - apply for 885. Now I understand that some people intentionally apply for 485 in order to be free to travel, but still they are in a long long queue. What is the best way to go then?

DRC?

It seems very complicated to me now...I was planning to apply for 485 and wait for my assessment to be finalised and then immediately after getting the assessment - apply for 885. Now I understand that some people intentionally apply for 485 in order to be free to travel, but still they are in a long long queue. What is the best way to go then?

DRC is not accepted for the 485 anymore. It was only a temporary scheme to clear a backlog of 485 applications.

DRC is still available for other visas especially under SMP.

DRC is not accepted for the 485 anymore. It was only a temporary scheme to clear a backlog of 485 applications.

DRC is still available for other visas especially under SMP.

Really? I applied for 485 DRC 3 weeks ago. They made it not available for existing applications but it is still available for new ones.

Really? I applied for 485 DRC 3 weeks ago. They made it not available for existing applications but it is still available for new ones.

Yes, I also applied for it but it didn't go through. My status did change to ABPF in 10 days though. DIAC is ambiguous on everything.

Guys, you are both Priority Group 4, aren't you? Is this the reason for such a long waiting?

Is there any risk that this group will never get visas?

I will be moving to Priority 3 when my qualifications are assessed again by the relevant skills body. Priorities are only applicable to the 885 visas and not 485, it's actually on the website you couldn't have missed it.

And yes (not officially), P4 may not be processed but that is just pure conjecture at this time.

Yes, I also applied for it but it didn't go through. My status did change to ABPF in 10 days though. DIAC is ambiguous on everything.

Oh damn, I hope my migration agent didn't lie to me ... I'm gonna call them and DIAC tomorrow and see what I find out.

Oh damn, I hope my migration agent didn't lie to me ... I'm gonna call them and DIAC tomorrow and see what I find out.

Yeah, try that and see if you get the same information, I am still so confused about mine because the online status changed so I thought it went through and I didn't get any rejection letter. But when I asked my agent to look into it, he said it didn't work and told me he wasn't sure why (which is a rubbish lie).

The only plausible explanation is that it was lodged too late, i.e. after the SMP came out and the scheme retired. It's just that some people think lying is okay and you need to be able to sniff the rat when you can't yet see it.

Archived