Looking to move back to UK, WOULD LOVE ANY ADVICE

Guest Carl Thomas

Guest cricketbackinengland
Hi all, iam intending to return to the U.K. early next year with my daughter 18yrs old and who will be taking a gap year, and my son who will be 8 yrs old. Iam 46 and have not been to the U.K. for 26 years :eek: I have always vowed that when i have the money to return, i will be going home. Well iam financially able to return ie buy a home and have money left over.......iam terrified at the thought of taking my little boy over there as he is very close to my parents who will stay in Oz. I have never settled here and feel like i have been waiting to get home for so long now, that i have to do it soon or i will miss my chance. I do have a lot of family there that iam close to but still feel its a daunting task to organise all this. Can any body else relate to this situation, the thought of spending the rest of my life in Oz is just to much to bear :sad:

I'm sure anyone who has been in your situation has gone through the same mix of emotions that you're feeling now so you're definitely not alone.

It's a fantastic opportunity for both your children to be able to connect with another side of their heritage and culture. This is where I'd be keeping the focus. They are so lucky to be having the chance to go and live abroad and spend time in a different part of the world. It will really expand their horizons and thinking.

Of course, they will miss your parents but with webcam, skype, facebook and so many ways to stay in touch, they will probably not miss anyone too much. It's much easier to keep everyone connected to each other these days.

The UK probably has changed a bit in 26 years so I'd just treat the whole experience as a huge adventure for you and your children. I would suggest that you don't rush into buying a house too quickly. I've been back in England for 17 months and I have only just worked out where I want to put down roots. I'd give yourself plenty of time to grow into a new life and find your bearings before you buy anywhere. I have no desire to go back to Australia but neither did I feel totally settled back in England for a while. We've moved around several times renting and finding out what our area is really like before we put down permanent roots. It has been fun, it bit like trying before you buy but at least by not rushing into anything and by giving ourselves time to acclimatise, we are almost ready to jump in the deep end now and settle down.

I wish you the best of luck. Don't worry, just make your dream happen. You can always go back to your old life if it doesn't work out.

Guest tiddywiddy

things have really changed & are changing within the UK. I think people who live here (UK) do know what they are talking about, they see the changes almost daily. Our past Government screwed us all & we the working class etc are picking up the pieces & pulling our hair out as we go. The UK has been screwed since we joined the EU & although Im only mid 30's Im very angry that I feel that Im being pushed out of my own country. I often wonder what my great grandparents & grandparents before them would think of the country. Anyway, if you konw what area in UK you are going, why dont you look online at the local papers, that way you will get an idea of whats going on, crime, council cuts, properties etc. I wish you luck, may I suggest, if you havnt thought of it already, allow yourself the opportunity to return to OZ should you wish in the future, incase things dont go to plan.

Guest megapixel
Hi all, iam intending to return to the U.K. early next year with my daughter 18yrs old and who will be taking a gap year, and my son who will be 8 yrs old. Iam 46 and have not been to the U.K. for 26 years :eek: I have always vowed that when i have the money to return, i will be going home. Well iam financially able to return ie buy a home and have money left over.......iam terrified at the thought of taking my little boy over there as he is very close to my parents who will stay in Oz. I have never settled here and feel like i have been waiting to get home for so long now, that i have to do it soon or i will miss my chance. I do have a lot of family there that iam close to but still feel its a daunting task to organise all this. Can any body else relate to this situation, the thought of spending the rest of my life in Oz is just to much to bear :sad:

I agree w the above posters. You can try to diffuse the terrifying thoughts (after all it is huge, but this could be the weight that you have given the idea all the years you have wanted to return), and treat it positvely as a new adventure.

It helps me to be reading UK media, so that at least I know what people are talking about! I have been away from the UK for 22 years (going back this yr to live) and one thing I found when I spent a few months there in 2004 was my total disconnection with what was happening then. I felt like an alien! Since then I have added my local online newspaper to my weekly reading.

There are many resources online for people wanting to help their children adapt to a new country which you could google. Skype will help him stay in touch w his g/parents but of course he is bound to have feelings of separation, that is inevitable.

Moving home is high on the list of life stresses and I think an international move makes it more stressful. Be kind to yourself and make allowances for yourself when you feel it is all too much or have moments of doubt.

Wishing you luck with the planning/decisions, and see you around on these boards - it has really helped me to read other people's experiences and to look positively at my move back to the UK.

Lots of long replies. I've read some but not all.

It may have been mentioned in one of the posts I've not read but please be aware the unemployment rate is rising and no sign its going to be going the other way anytime soon. Jobs can be (and often are) few and far between in many fields. And many companies are cutting back or folding totally. Even nursing has its limits these days and many nurses have moved into the private sector (care homes, respite etc) as NHS isn't a cert for a job these days.

Getting a mortgage in these times is nigh on impossible as most companies just don't want to lend unless you have a fair chunk of capital to put down also. And as has been said, depending on what area of the country you live in, house prices are studpidly high and for many, out of reach.

Other things to consider are commutes and crappy public transport. And high fuel costs.

I can understand why you want to come back but it really is far from rosy on the economic front here and it will get far worse before it gets better. There are plus points to both countries for sure, but you may well find it takes longer than a year or two to be able to buy anything property wise (I'd say you could be looking at 4-5 years based on current situation) and even then you may only end up with a shoe box with no backyard.

Its great your family will have you stay but in a long term situation it might crumble or make for tension. Be prepared for a long term stay with them and what it might entail.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Nothing would stop me from coming back to the UK if i felt i wanted to, its a great country and you know what its like, so theres no hidden fears. Things aren't great at at all in the uk, but that shouldn't stop anyone coming back, Australia isn't for everyone, we are all different.

Some good replies on here. For what it is worth my family and me are just waiting on our visas (meeds done etc, just waiting).

We have sold our house (by luck on 2007) and have rented since, due to job insecurity. We are moving to see if Oz can provide beter for our little girl, time will tell.

The economic outlook in the UK is not rosy with the governments current economic policy a massive gamble.

I think current thinking is that the UK economy, industrial base etc are in a bit of a pickle. There is noy way I am in any way qualified to say whether you should stay or should you goon now. However I would really look hard at the job market in the area you are going to live and consider who at you think the job market will do.

BTW Some people here say tha the UK is cheaper than Aust. I think that if you compare things in terms of what people earn in UK currency and then in terms of Austcurrency you may be surprised.

Certainly in the uk, even with a large deposit I can only afford a terraced house in a run down area. House values in the UK appear to be well out of kilter. Perhapse the recession the UK should have had in 2007 was only delayed and not averted by government spending and we are about to have it. I do not know, what I do know is that for me all the research indicates My family will have more opportunity Oz.

I wish you all the best with your future.

Guest paulwbafc

UK government is a trillion dollars in the red, the government has no money to spend for at least a generation. over the coming years hospitals roads schools will begin to crumble under the strain of under finance. Is this the sort of country you want to live in mate. I know a teacher at a secondary school and he says its dire. and warned me never to go back. On the other hand Australia has low unemployment, resource rich, property is expensive but there is a drop coming soon, the peak has been reached and and i know a few in property here and they are preparing to cash in there investment homes soon then buy back in when they hit the bottom. Once property investments get the jitters they all start panic selling, it will be like domino's. The baby boomers are starting to retire and will need to cash in there investment homes to fund there retirement.

UK government is a trillion dollars in the red, the government has no money to spend for at least a generation. over the coming years hospitals roads schools will begin to crumble under the strain of under finance. Is this the sort of country you want to live in mate. I know a teacher at a secondary school and he says its dire. and warned me never to go back. On the other hand Australia has low unemployment, resource rich, property is expensive but there is a drop coming soon, the peak has been reached and and i know a few in property here and they are preparing to cash in there investment homes soon then buy back in when they hit the bottom. Once property investments get the jitters they all start panic selling, it will be like domino's. The baby boomers are starting to retire and will need to cash in there investment homes to fund there retirement.

On the other hand, Australia has the highest level of personal debt in the world and the highest level of taxes while drought, flood, cyclones and fire are all taking their toll on the coffers too. Don't kid yourselves that the UK is going down the drain while anywhere else in the world is positively brimming over with a successful economy and shining opportunity.

The economy crisis is global so all countries are going through a major correction process of how money is spent. It is tough everywhere, no place is having an easy time. That's why some people in both the UK and Australia are finding it tough going. Hold tight people, it will get better. Don't jump in the deep end yet, just wait for things to settle down then decide.

Guest chris955

I have no idea where people get the idea the UK is going down the drain but there is certainly an element out there that seem to believe it for whatever reason. There seems to be a proportion of Brits that are so incredibly negative about their country but it has always been the same, I heard all the same doom and gloom stories years ago.

I think people sometimes need to validate their decision to move to another country by trashing the UK. By all means, it's fine if you want to go but please just clear off and leave the UK alone. Don't drag it down as you leave. It's not that bad and I am glad I'm home, warts and all. It's a good country.

On the other hand, Australia has the highest level of personal debt in the world and the highest level of taxes while drought, flood, cyclones and fire are all taking their toll on the coffers too. Don't kid yourselves that the UK is going down the drain while anywhere else in the world is positively brimming over with a successful economy and shining opportunity.

The economy crisis is global so all countries are going through a major correction process of how money is spent. It is tough everywhere, no place is having an easy time. That's why some people in both the UK and Australia are finding it tough going. Hold tight people, it will get better. Don't jump in the deep end yet, just wait for things to settle down then decide.

Australia is incredibly vulnerable to the Asian market - if China sneezes we catch pneumonia and with the latest load of numptys in power we are in for a rocky ride building up huge amounts of debt - we have been down this path before with incompetent government and it took us years to drag ourselves out of it. There are also very high levels of youth unemployment here which people also seem to ignore.

You are right, we are just part of a very big world at the moment and all doing it tough. We have only had a handful of interest rises and already the youngsters who got on the property ladder thanks to Krudd's FHG bonanza now find themselves in slightly negative equity and unable to keep up with the mortgage repayments.

It is a good country. I try not to put it down but do realise it has its problems right now (and has had them in the past of course) and for the forseeable future and that anyone moving back may well find things like the job market incredibly hard right now. I spent 9 months looking for a job recently, the longest it ever took me in the past was a few weeks and I was always able to move from job to job without gaps in between. I know people who have been made redundant from jobs and are still looking 6 months, a year on right now. There are some aspects of the UK that really are not rosy, same as there are some in Aus. But for anyone moving back, finding a job has to be an important thing so people do need to consider things and perhaps job hunt remotely if they are able.

I know moving anywhere else in the world has its plus points and its negatives. Same as staying in the UK. Its about finding the balance that works for each person/family. For some that is the UK, others elsewhere. I know that many moving out to Aus will find it isn't for them for a whole host of reasons and will want to return to the UK, warts and all :)

Guest chris955

Yes it's a great country, I can sort of understand why they want to make things seem worse in the country they leave behind, it's human nature in a way. We have many friends in the UK and while they accept things will be tough it isn't the end of the world and generally life goes on as normal.

• 3 years later...

OMG I do so realise where u r coming from England (for all its faults and crappy weather) will always be home for me. It has so much to offer. Goo luck my friend :)

Some good replies on here. For what it is worth my family and me are just waiting on our visas (meeds done etc, just waiting).

We have sold our house (by luck on 2007) and have rented since, due to job insecurity. We are moving to see if Oz can provide beter for our little girl, time will tell.

The economic outlook in the UK is not rosy with the governments current economic policy a massive gamble.

I think current thinking is that the UK economy, industrial base etc are in a bit of a pickle. There is noy way I am in any way qualified to say whether you should stay or should you goon now. However I would really look hard at the job market in the area you are going to live and consider who at you think the job market will do.

BTW Some people here say tha the UK is cheaper than Aust. I think that if you compare things in terms of what people earn in UK currency and then in terms of Austcurrency you may be surprised.

Certainly in the uk, even with a large deposit I can only afford a terraced house in a run down area. House values in the UK appear to be well out of kilter. Perhapse the recession the UK should have had in 2007 was only delayed and not averted by government spending and we are about to have it. I do not know, what I do know is that for me all the research indicates My family will have more opportunity Oz.

I wish you all the best with your future.

Oh be careful what you wish for, I have been here for 15 years and lived :The Australian Dream" Which has now turned into the Australian Nightmare" Home will always be missed and think so carefully about the wonderful close relationships which you know take for granted, that will be gone when u leave your own shores. The grass is not always greener on the other side.....believe me!

My advice is think hard before you return, you say you been in oz for 7 yr, well the uk has changed so much in that time, the country is on its ass! property is also more expensive than 7 yr ago. what advise have your family given you???

good luck

Thank you ...

Certainly in the uk, even with a large deposit I can only afford a terraced house in a run down area. House values in the UK appear to be well out of kilter.

Looking at this old thread, it just shows you how quickly things have changed. My sister recently bought a 3 bedroom house in Windsor (in the UK) and it cost her substantially less than a similar house in a similar area of Sydney.

Edited by Marisawright