Social Work in Canberra

Guest Strawberry

Guest Strawberry

Hi all,

I'd just like to say that I've also been successful and so will be heading over to Canberra in the next few months.

Thank you to all that have posted on here and over on the other threads - both positive and negative comments. I was quite worried when I first read the negative posts, but after meeting the recruitment team and doing a bit of my own 'research', I feel a lot happier and more positive about it all. A few of my ex-UK colleagues have gone to Aus to do SW and I have worked in teams where there has always been at least one Aussie Social Worker, so I am well aware of the differences out there. Interestingly, a lot of my Aussie colleagues get quite frustrated with our practice over here as we don't have the processes and structures that they seem to. Also, Aussie Social Workers seem to be very well regarded here in the UK (they certainly are in the LA that I work for - and I have always seen a very high standard of practice), so they've got to be getting something right!

For those who would like to read a positive account, I came across this on Community Care (for non-Social Workers, it's a well respected, nationwide and industry-specific magazine here in the UK). It's an article from Sept 2010 about working overseas and includes an account from someone who works in CP in Canberra; she's also a contributor to the Comm Care forums and I've included a link to some of her comments (although brief):

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/Articles/2010/09/09/115241/Social-work-overseas-and-how-to-get-it.htm

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/carespace/forums/fancy-a-social-work-job-in-australia-7948.aspx

And as for the minutes that were uploaded on to another thread...well, a lot of that does go on over here as well, I'm sorry to say. In fact, Social Work in the UK is in a pretty dire situation at the moment. Cuts are happening everywhere (eg, there's been a significant cut in services for victims of domestic violence), children aren't being adequately protected (IMHO), referrals are rising, morale is often low and staff retention in children's services remains problematic across the board. UK SWs are at the start of a very rocky road ahead....and to be honest, I know where I'd rather be working in 6 months time!

I wish all of my 'fellow colleagues to be' all the best over the next few months and look forward to seeing you Down Under!

Strawberry

• 1 month later...

I have been looking at this forum with interest as I have accepted a social work post in Canberra, I (along with my family) are looking to relocate between October 2011 and Jan 2012.

I am not someone who would normally post however I have been driven to post as a result of reading the utter rubbish and scaremongering that has been posted. I have searched the Canberra Times news archive, I searched from Jan 2004 until present using the keywords, bullying and DHCS, what a surprise no articles whatsoever. I googled David Lander, solicitor - no evidence of him handling cases per se from DHCS and as a result of bullying or illegal sacking by DHCS.

I have noted that Quoll has a great deal to say across many forums having posted at least 6435 times since joining this forum in 2007, however also noting that Quoll is neither social worker or has worked for DHCS, so therefore no 1st hand experience, so whatever Quoll says is 2nd hand, 3rd hand or greater What would Quoll's motivation be in doing this?

Therefore if you accept that dolly1 and Tuley are social workers and have been employed by DHCS, then I would regard this as just 2 persons who report they have been bullied etc. They may or may not have been bullied, it is impossible to validate, however having worked in health and social care for the last 18 years, the last 10 years in child protection for a range of local authorities, it is nothing new to experience a range of good and bad managers, social work with children and families is extremely challenging, but that's nothing new. Equally as with all professions and jobs, there are good practitioners and bad practitioners, it is always easier to blame someone or something than accept our own failings.

When you actually read and analyse that which has been posted, not a great deal is actually being said. If these persons who state they have been bullied and have left their job / Australia as a result, then why don't you give very concrete examples.

As for any assessment what is you evidence that underpins your hypotheses and analysis, I am unable to see anything of substance in that which has been said.

Those who have experience of social work in the UK, will be aware of many local authorities who have recruited from overseas, over the years I have worked in 6 local authorities, and without exception, all have in recent years run recruitment campaigns and recruited from USA, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Europe, also I note constant recruitment campaigns from the local authorities that I have worked for seeking to recruit in the UK, this is therefore nothing new. The turnover of social work staff is also nothing new, child protection, children and families social work is extremely challenging, demanding and takes a lot of drive and energy, not everyone is suitable or capable of doing this job.

Social workers are humans and reflect the makeup of society as a whole, just because you have trained to be a social worker and have been working as a social worker does not make you any more resilient as person than Joe Bloggs in the street. In my opinion you either have the qualities and resilience to be a social worker or not, this is something that is inherent and can not be taught or learnt.

In summary it is very difficult to validate anything that is published in forums, chat rooms etc on the internet, this should be borne in mind when reading such posts.

I have noted that Quoll has a great deal to say across many forums having posted at least 6435 times since joining this forum in 2007, however also noting that Quoll is neither social worker or has worked for DHCS, so therefore no 1st hand experience, so whatever Quoll says is 2nd hand, 3rd hand or greater What would Quoll's motivation be in doing this?

I assure you that Quoll has no axe to grind other than to provide the best information to people proposing to uproot their families to the other side of the world. Whether you come or not I couldnt give two hoots but if you can come with safety and awareness you will be better prepared for whatever faces you. Canberra is an odd place and I want people to come here and be happy - it doesnt get the best of raps from the rest of the Aussie population at the best of times so I would hate for new migrants to come and be unhappy with the place because of the state of their workplace and to be caught unawares by it

It is quite common knowledge in Canberra about the state of C&P - anyone who is in a peripheral domain who deals with them will have had contacts. Even DHCS staff acknowledge that the first recruitment round was an utter stuff up and they had a different plan for the second round - which, from the people I have spoken to, didnt happen the way it was planned. Canberra is a very small place!!!!!! However, you will also find that a number of people have had to sign contracts forbidding them to disclose their interactions with DHCS so dont expect a whole load of public dirty linen washing!

I do have first and second hand evidence of bullying in the workplace - and not just DHCS either. It is far more common than one would like to believe at the moment and whether that is just a Canberra phenomenon or more generic I dont know. Some PS departments are renowned for it and the town's EAP services are very well used!

I sincerely hope that this recruitment round works. Canberra's kids need a strong C&P service but I would hate to think that someone came here in blithe innocence and were not prepared for whatever gets tossed at them.

Guest dolly1

You state that ‘In summary it is very difficult to validate anything that is published in forums, chat rooms etc on the internet, this should be borne in mind when reading such posts.’ It should also be borne in mind that DHCS would not be beyond submitting entries to POM in order to attempt to discredit submissions and cast aspersions on the former staff who were subject to bullying within DHCS.

You state that when ‘you actually read and analyse that which has been posted, not a great deal is actually being said’ I would dispute this as I have provided validation through the minutes of a meeting at DHCS, which were submitted to management as a valid reflection of staff’s concerns. These highlight 66 different areas of concerns. So what more do you need to consider that bullying has, and still continues within DHCS? Blood and bruises? Do you really need former staff to explain in graphic detail the pain and misery they suffered as a result of working for DHCS? Would you prefer it if staff wrote some form of misery memoir to outline each and very verbal attack and episode of undermining which they were subjected to? If so you are as disturbed as the managers at DHCS so you will probably go a long way in your career there, that’s if you are a genuine recruit. I finid the nautre of your critisisms deeply concerning of a workplace you allegedly know nothing about. Would it not be more sensible to spend a period of time working for DHCS before making any judgements on former employees and the conditions they were subjected to?

However as you need validation I have provided the link to the podcast for David Lander. Just because you were unable to locate this podcast does not mean it does not exist.

http://www.radio2cc.com/mp3/MW-David-Lander.mp3

I have had sight of reports in the Canberra Times in regard to Mr Lander’s pursuing claims of bullying within DHCS and his criticism of this practice. One, among many links is ‘Lawyer wins right to criticise 'unhelpful' bureaucrats. The Canberra Times 25 Sep, 2009. Again just because you were ineffective in your research skills does not mean that these articles do not exit.

I reiterate that because former staff of DHCS are brave enough to share their experiences on this forum does not mean that they did not happen. There are many, many others who have survived the bullying but for valid reasons do not feel able to write about this so publicly. As previously stated some former staff of DHCS are subject to legal gagging orders and are therefore unable to pass any comment. People are entitled to an opinion, and it is not helpful for others to critique and seek to undermine anyone who has been brave enough to share their experiences openly. Had I access to the information on bullying before I accepted the position with DHCS I would have been able to make a more informed decision, and if I decided to relocate then I would have been prepared. This is all that Quoll, Tully and I are seeking to impart. Canberra is a lovely place and the lifestyle is infinitely better than the UK, if working patterns and workplace bullying don’t prevent you from enjoying it.

As for your comment that ‘it is always easier to blame someone or something than accept our own failings’ this is the normal stance of a bully, who again seeks to discredit the victim rather than accept that changes need to be made. I have already included the minutes of a meeting at DHCS, which states very clearly that, ‘One staff member advised that 17 staff had left the DHCS within a 6 month period.’ These staff left because of bullying by one particular manager so how much proof do you need? I can attest again that a considerable number of people left DHCS for that reason afterwards. One would question why staff remained if working conditions were so difficult and in answer to that, it must also be acknowledged that recruits were required to remain in DHCS for a period of time before they could leave, hence they had no choice other than to deal with the bullying on a daily basis until they could leave. If they left DHCS before two years to return to the UK they had to repay the relocation monies, removal costs, flights etc therefore anyone who returned to the UK did so at great personal expense. While bullying may not be anything new to local authorities in the UK it must also be acknowledged that in the UK there is a whistle blowing policy and legal redress which is not available in Canberra. I can provide you with personal contact details for two other former recruits to DHCS who will verify their own experiences of bullying, however you must acknowledge that for some people this period of their lives is too difficult to revisit and as a social worker I would assume that you would display some level of sensitivity and compassion instead of critisism, defamation and a distinct lack of empathy. Shame on you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest55385

Hi All,

I've been following these posts with interest as I was a stat CP UK social worker until 5 weeks ago when I quit to look after my kids. We're desperate to move to Oz (5 of us while the kids are still young), however the only places my husband can find work (difficult engineering profession) are Perth and Canberra. The two places I really didn't want to move to.

I'm intrigued to see how you both get on in Canberra. Admittedly I was a little horrified by page 1 of this thread, however it appears to have balanced itself out. I will say however I have many friends in Oz and many who have travelled around it, and none seem to have visited Canberra. Is this an omen do you think?

X

I have had sight of reports in the Canberra Times in regard to Mr Lander’s pursuing claims of bullying within DHCS and his criticism of this practice. One, among many links is ‘Lawyer wins right to criticise 'unhelpful' bureaucrats. The Canberra Times 25 Sep, 2009. Again just because you were ineffective in your research skills does not mean that these articles do not exit.

[/font]

Staff from the ACT Department of Education have been ''rude, unhelpful, obsessive and compulsive in relation to their own ego and their own self-importance and otherwise unresponsive,'' according to a local lawyer who has endured a long- running legal battle in order to be able to say so.

Along the way, Belconnen solicitor David Landers may have set a new precedent for how far lawyers can go in criticising government departments and the practices of bureaucrats who work within them. In a three-year saga, Mr Landers risked losing his career and having to pay thousands of dollars in costs after expressing his frustration with the education department and subsequently …

Hi...this is all i can read without subscribing, but it seems to refer to a different department and not DHCS?

Also...would be interested in listening to the podcast but it doesn't seem to download and closes the connection.

Hi...this is all i can read without subscribing, but it seems to refer to a different department and not DHCS?

Also...would be interested in listening to the podcast but it doesn't seem to download and closes the connection.

The ACT government moves sections around all the time and for a while Care and Protection was under the auspices of the Department of Education. It isnt DHCS now either, it is the Directorate of Social Services or something similar (changed last week) - they change the names more often than they change their knickers, the beast is still the same though. However Lander has had quite a bit going on with Education over the past few years so not sure if this is the same issue or not.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Livingthedream99
The ACT government moves sections around all the time and for a while Care and Protection was under the auspices of the Department of Education. It isnt DHCS now either, it is the Directorate of Social Services or something similar (changed last week) - they change the names more often than they change their knickers, the beast is still the same though. However Lander has had quite a bit going on with Education over the past few years so not sure if this is the same issue or not.

...Not true Quoll, CPS hasn't been under the department of Education. Completely incorrect, nor do they "change their names more often the they change their knickers".

If you read the Hawke Review you will realise that its the Public Service that has changed as a whole and not just Care and Protection.. Also its the Directorate of Community Services.

...Not true Quoll, CPS hasn't been under the department of Education. Completely incorrect, nor do they "change their names more often the they change their knickers".

If you read the Hawke Review you will realise that its the Public Service that has changed as a whole and not just Care and Protection.. Also its the Directorate of Community Services.

I beg to differ - that role was indeed part of the department of Education (Education, Youth and Family services IIRC) and the outcome of the Vardon report in 2004 saw the function moved out of Education and into the current department. Not only that, the whole shenanigans saw the sad departure of Fran Hinton who was the sacrificial lamb from head of the department. (She was the best head of department to work for - smart but fair and she knew and remembered people she had met)

So, the Hawke review revamped the whole ACTPS - that is what has been happening for ages - so how is that not DHCS changing its name?

You probably havent been here long enough to know the history

FnqPJOCok219T2+PxLTTrLbjZXa6eBpzq5RATsBMnKs8pylxtvt6JfAN642+xd4ksHsSaEC1e2UyK0dNw5pVUs1fk0CTwNYl8P8BMLgEj6HlxCYAAAAASUVORK5CYII=2374992.jpg

This is all getting quite boring. It's not like there are not still people willing to be employed there to get them into Aus.

Please stop with the copywriters Canberra. By doing this you are actually validating what some people have said about the Department and management there by treating potential employees like children!

Guest Livingthedream99

What so when people agree with your views then its ok and its accepted? but when someone disagrees with the continuous negative views then its "copy writers". How sad you get defensive when someone disagrees.. Continue on then with your negativity, just know that your impacting on other peoples experiences by writing this crap.

What so when people agree with your views then its ok and its accepted? but when someone disagrees with the continuous negative views then its "copy writers". How sad you get defensive when someone disagrees.. Continue on then with your negativity, just know that your impacting on other peoples experiences by writing this crap.

This is just hysterical. Do you even check who you are replying to?

Would you care to point out just where I have been negative or defensive in any of these SW threads, especially in my previous post? And what exactly am I defending?

If you'd actually been following them you'd see I'm sitting firmly on the fence having not even been to ACT never mind worked for them. And have actually pointed out that people should be allowed to make up their own minds based on a variety of views.

But seriously this is turning into a childish boring game of *** for tat!

Guest ItsFootball

Handbags at 10 paces people!

I am sure - as adults we can all make decisions based on our own unique experiences (it’s great to listen to others experiences too though).

New staff will be welcomed, and they can decide if they would like to participate in the systemic issues of working in such a complex area - or whether to get on with supporting children, young people and families across Canberra, I prefer the latter and it's rewarding.

Either way it's a lifestyle change for many - which will suit some, others maybe not.

I for one hope all the people coming over - have fun, make new friends and enjoy Canberra.

• 1 month later...
Guest bethyboots

Hi

I applied and was successful and am just waiting on my visa now, was anyone successful it would be good to know where your up to. I am constantly questioning whether I am doing the right thing, moving my whole family over , a daughter of 18 and 2 sons 21 and 22 , but feel there are no opportunities in Uk for them at the moment. Appreciate any feedback if anyone working in that area .

Cheers Dawn

Archived