Social Work in Canberra

Guest Strawberry

Guest Strawberry

Hello,

I'm new to this site and am hoping that someone can help.

I've recently seen the UK campaign for Social Workers in Canberra and am seriously considering applying. I've been to Aus before (including Canberra) and have always wanted to go back to live/work.

However, I've read a few posts on here and other forums and can see that Canberra have recruited for SWs before, but some posts suggest that they don't seem to stay for long!!!!

Can anyone shed any light on this??

I'm currently in a very busy inner-city team so the prospect of going into another busy team doesn't put me off - well, not too much anyway!

I look forward to your replies!

Strawberry x

I'm not quite sure what happened to this last lot - one of the people I had been corresponding with just sort of disappeared so no idea what drove her away.

The first lot were badly treated and most left within 12 months which was a shame as they brought some really good ideas with them. I think it was financial and residence issues that drove them away.

This last lot were mainly families because the rationale was that if kids were settled then their parents would be too. I know that they had great hopes of a mentoring system but AFAIK that fell down quite quickly, certainly for some that I spoke to.

They usually get workers for Child Protection and that is a tricky area to begin with, with high burnout rates across the board. It may also be that Canberra is an expensive place to live and maybe partners didnt get jobs or the pay didnt really stretch too far - not sure what they are offering but the average Canberra wage is around $80k and you can usually bank on a family having two incomes to support the mortgage (if you are renting then rents have increased atrociously of late)

That said, I did talk to an Irish girl on intake the other day so there is at least one of them left!!!

I also wonder whether the dept heads do an international recruitment campaign for their biannual junket to Europe!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I'm new to this site and am hoping that someone can help.

I've recently seen the UK campaign for Social Workers in Canberra and am seriously considering applying. I've been to Aus before (including Canberra) and have always wanted to go back to live/work.

However, I've read a few posts on here and other forums and can see that Canberra have recruited for SWs before, but some posts suggest that they don't seem to stay for long!!!!

Can anyone shed any light on this??

I'm currently in a very busy inner-city team so the prospect of going into another busy team doesn't put me off - well, not too much anyway!

I look forward to your replies!

Strawberry x

Hi Strawberry,

as a survivor of DHCS child protection in Canberra I can give you an extensive list of why recruits from UK and Ireland did not stay. Australian collegues are unqualified social workers, have no experience or knowledge in social work theory or practice. Most of them are racist and refused to with with that they referred to as 'abbos' Aboriginals. The culture of bullying from the top down was horrendous, the working hours were extensive and the UK and Irish recruits were all given the difficult cases which involved familes who were extremely dangerous. I was badly assaulted, but received no support whatsoever. I could go on and on. You should really google a solicitor in Canberra called David Lander who has successfully pursued cases where staff were illegally sacked because they made complaints about the system. The Canberra Times, local newspaper has written quite a lot about bullying in DHCS, but the goverment appear to turn a blind eye. I do hope this hasn't put you off, but you really need to be realistic in terms of what you will be expected to achieve through work, which may impact negatively on your family.

Guest guest50198

gulp, only joined this site to prepare myself in hope that i can get throught the interview with care and protection .......dont know how i feel about it now......how bad is it???? its not good here and i dont want to stay here with my family anymore, after the GFC and house prices, recession etc we thought about the NZ and the US (it was too complicated by individual state stuff) and this job advert was like a blessing.....have interview and now feel really unsure about what this means, is it the people or the type of work, partner and i have child protection experience, this was ideal.....

Guest dolly1

Hi there, I've replied to your post and hope I have answered your questions, but if you need any information on what to expect if you accept the position with care and protection then please contact me. I can guarantee you will be offered the post if you have any experience, one of the UK recruits lied about her experience and particularly her extensive health problems, and this was not picked up. Managers only realised when she was there that she had no direct contact with children, and she had to be moved around the department, causing mayhem and distruption wherever she went until her two years were completed and she could legitimately leave as they didn't want to lose face. I had a real titter at that one.

D

Guest Nicholas1

HI there, My wife has an interview at the beginning of April and Dolly's comments have obviously put a spanner in teh works although of course we would rather know now rather than later! Dolly I cant see how to contact you but wondered if you would private message me as it would be incredibly usefult o know more detqail beyond what you have posted.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sancon

can anyone help in regard to skills assessment by the AASW only on their form for assessment Q12 says not to fill it in unless already granted a visa and yet this cannot be granted until the skills assessment is completed and the immigration have confirmation from the AASW so real chicken and egg

can anyone help please I have sent several mails to the AASW as advised on the form without a response

steve and lindy

Hi Sancon,

Not sure if u are Reading that right? Or I have misunderstood u.

But q10 asks are u going to use this assessment to migrate, if the answer is yes then u just go straight to q13 u skip q12.

If answer is no and u are a Permanent resident of Australia as asked in q11 then u have to answer q12.

Does that make sense?

So if u planning to migrate just answer yes q10 and go straight to q13.

Hope that helps. I got my aasw positive assessment a few weeks ago yipeee alot of paperwork :( don't envy u!!!!

Guest sancon

Thanks for getting back on that post

typical of me to whizz through a form without reading it properly!!

we will get the skills assessment sent off ASAP

we have also contacted Victoria in regards to positions in children services and wondered if might be better getting sponsored under subclass 457 visa will wait to hear back from them on that

pleased you have got your skills assessed and hope itgoes well

where are you planning to go

steve and lindy

Guest minimin
I think Melbourne are also recruiting Child Protection Social Workers have a look at (a career that counts)

I was originally looking at melbourne, but they said they would be interested in interviewing me etc, but would not offer any relocation package - in other words, if you can get yourself over there they will be interested :(

Guest Strawberry

Minimin - I noticed on the other thread that you've got an interview next week! So do I - am beginning to feel a bit apprehensive now! Good luck!

Guest minimin

I am not too worried about what i have read, as to be honest, I have thick skin and it sounds just like what I am used to working with in the UK. Is your interview in London?

I am not too worried about what i have read, as to be honest, I have thick skin and it sounds just like what I am used to working with in the UK. Is your interview in London?

I dont think a thick skin will do you much good (whistleblowers dont do well in ACT government) - one comment I heard recently was that the practice there violated all their social work values, which I thought was interesting!

I dont think a thick skin will do you much good (whistleblowers dont do well in ACT government) - one comment I heard recently was that the practice there violated all their social work values, which I thought was interesting!

Interesting yes. The UK places a lot more on values, the protected role of social work & ethics (that can be punished by GSCC if breached) than Aus does. This will be what drives a lot of UK SW in Aus mad and eventually back home. That the profession is not as highly regarded or even protected as it is in the UK.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest50198

I got an offer! We are delighted, good for you too Seachelle! I have thought long and hard about the comments made on here and have had some pm's from others who gave alternative views so me and my family are taking the plunge!! I'm not sure who to believe but I reckon that it's what we make it. When I look at my current employer, there's a few things that aren't perfect. And the people we met at interview seemed lovely and enthusiastic about their job and I had a good feeling so Seachelle, we are going for it, I hope you do too!

At least you are going into it with your eyes open. Remember that you are being sold a product - lucky devils get a trip to Europe with work every couple of years when they need to re-recruit (ask yourself why they cant keep people?). They need you more than you need them! Some of them are, individually, nice people I am sure but they work in an organization!

Bullying is, sadly, endemic in Canberra I reckon - I have met so many people lately who are really suffering from workplace bullying which starts at the very top and permeates its way down the chain. It seems to be commonplace in both government and non government organizations and, of course, you will get some places where it isnt an issue (in my current job I dont sense it but given that almost the entire workforce has moved on in the last 12 months I am willing to bet that others would cite bullying as an issue - my little team are siloed really which works for us) but more and more, people are speaking out about it and EAPs are overwhelmed with people who cant take it any more. In some of the organizations I work with, the fear is palpable and people dont look sideways for fear that they will be the next whipping boy. Sounds trite but if your face dont fit you are in deep sh*t!

My best advice to you all is that you dont burn any bridges - take career breaks, rent out your homes etc, dont do anything that you cant undo and good luck!

Guest seachelle
I got an offer! We are delighted, good for you too Seachelle! I have thought long and hard about the comments made on here and have had some pm's from others who gave alternative views so me and my family are taking the plunge!! I'm not sure who to believe but I reckon that it's what we make it. When I look at my current employer, there's a few things that aren't perfect. And the people we met at interview seemed lovely and enthusiastic about their job and I had a good feeling so Seachelle, we are going for it, I hope you do too!

Hi again, yes my partner and I are going to go for it...would be good to keep in touch to see how each other is doing with the process but cant see how to private message you to give you my email address...do you know how to ???

Guest Livingthedream99
At least you are going into it with your eyes open. Remember that you are being sold a product - lucky devils get a trip to Europe with work every couple of years when they need to re-recruit (ask yourself why they cant keep people?). They need you more than you need them! Some of them are, individually, nice people I am sure but they work in an organization!

Bullying is, sadly, endemic in Canberra I reckon - I have met so many people lately who are really suffering from workplace bullying which starts at the very top and permeates its way down the chain. It seems to be commonplace in both government and non government organizations and, of course, you will get some places where it isnt an issue (in my current job I dont sense it but given that almost the entire workforce has moved on in the last 12 months I am willing to bet that others would cite bullying as an issue - my little team are siloed really which works for us) but more and more, people are speaking out about it and EAPs are overwhelmed with people who cant take it any more. In some of the organizations I work with, the fear is palpable and people dont look sideways for fear that they will be the next whipping boy. Sounds trite but if your face dont fit you are in deep sh*t!

My best advice to you all is that you dont burn any bridges - take career breaks, rent out your homes etc, dont do anything that you cant undo and good luck!

Quoll i find it really sad that you continue to write such negative things about the opportunities people are offered and you have stated you are not a social worker nor in DHCS. As a worker who has been here now for just over 3 years I find it sad to hear constant negativity from yourself and other people who havent or actually no longer work here. There have been issues in the past and I have seen it myself.. but things have changed and its people with negative views such as yourself and Dolly that continue to spread negtivity when actually the staff here are trying to move forward and are doing a good job of it. Yes the practice is different, but a good social worker can adapt their skills and ensure they deliver good practice to their clients no matter what environment they are in.

I personally enjoy working here and enjoy the Canberra lifestyle, i talk to family and friends back home and I dont think it is a place that I want to return to.

So instead of jumping onto every post by an excited possible new worker and dampening their excitement why dont you congratulate them on their new opportunity.

Perhaps its your negativity that it impacting on others.

To all the people looking at Canberra.. take the chance, I did.. it isnt without it ups and down but i was determined to make the best of it no matter what i was thrown.

Quoll i find it really sad that you continue to write such negative things about the opportunities people are offered and you have stated you are not a social worker nor in DHCS. As a worker who has been here now for just over 3 years I find it sad to hear constant negativity from yourself and other people who havent or actually no longer work here. There have been issues in the past and I have seen it myself.. but things have changed and its people with negative views such as yourself and Dolly that continue to spread negtivity when actually the staff here are trying to move forward and are doing a good job of it. Yes the practice is different, but a good social worker can adapt their skills and ensure they deliver good practice to their clients no matter what environment they are in.

I personally enjoy working here and enjoy the Canberra lifestyle, i talk to family and friends back home and I dont think it is a place that I want to return to.

So instead of jumping onto every post by an excited possible new worker and dampening their excitement why dont you congratulate them on their new opportunity.

Perhaps its your negativity that it impacting on others.

To all the people looking at Canberra.. take the chance, I did.. it isnt without it ups and down but i was determined to make the best of it no matter what i was thrown.

Good, so glad you like it. I guess I can only go from the people who have left and in such pain it has taken them a good year to get their lives back. Nothing wrong with Canberra per se but if people come forewarned then they are forearmed about what they are going to do about it.

Be honest though, DHCS hasnt had the best of reputations!

Guest dolly1

Dear livingthedream99, I am glad that you are prepared to acknowledge that bullying was a major issue when I worked for DHCS, failure to do so would be inherently dishonest and would call into question my integrity and that of others who have been subjected to this horrendous treatment. Naturally I can only report on my experiences and those of other recruits who I am aware left DHCS as soon as reasonably practicable beause of the bullying they were subjected to. However rather than comment on the negativity which you feel that Quoll and I are utilising to influence potential staff you might refocus and reframe this perception and consider that the reason you have not suffered in the same way is because people like us have actively challenged this status quo and are prepared to be open and honest about the working conditions within DHCS, which is more than the management at DHCS did when they were actively recruiting social work staff.

Guest Tuley
Good, so glad you like it. I guess I can only go from the people who have left and in such pain it has taken them a good year to get their lives back. Nothing wrong with Canberra per se but if people come forewarned then they are forearmed about what they are going to do about it.

Be honest though, DHCS hasnt had the best of reputations!

Hi all, I am also a survivor of c&p at dhcs. Regardless of what is said on the forum, people will make their own decisions. However I would like to say that I genuinely wish people had of been as honest on the forum when i was considering dhcs's job offer. Whilst it is possible I still would of emigrated i would have been more prepared & perhaps able to manage the realization of what I had got myself in to. More importantly, however,what I had got my family in to & this is what I believe the others are trying to forewarn you about. The move itself is huge without having to deal with the issues dhcs throw at you. Please note that it's not so much the work itself, the issues are similar to that of the uk. It's the management of dhcs & despite efforts to stay out of it, it will impact on you at some point!! This may be due to the fact that ur face doesnt fit or your assessment of a situation does not fit with your managers view of what should happen. I have extensive experience of working as a uk child protection social. The case load is not as heavy but the working environment is. I much preferred dealing with the clients than I did with the managers. As social workers we do adapt and search for helpful solutions. However the problem with dhcs is that the managers are not equipped to deal with change & this is where the problems lie!! No matter how much you try you cant make sense of the culture there & if you try to suggest things, no matter how subtle, they are not received well, hence the bullying begins!! Its a shame as Canberra is quite beautiful, particularly for children & dhcs could achieve allot they only utilized the skills of staff and encouraged retention by treating staff with respect! If u r single, I would say go for it, you have nothing to loose, you can walk away at anytime!! The immigration are aware of the bullying in dhcs & are unlikely to chuck you out of aus if you leave dhcs. However, if you have children really consider your options. The move is massive for them without having to deal with a stressed parent & another possible move ie back to the uk or interstate. If you can afford it, accept the job, but not the relocation package so you are not tied to them for 18mths. Also another word of advice if you av the dip sw, you may want to top up to the degree before coming over as you will not meet aasw eligibility with

Guest Tuley

Soz guys I ran out of space. Without degree in sw, you cannot work as a social worker outside of dhcs. Again this keeps you tied down to them!! It is my understanding that all of aus is behind in terms of sw practice, but not quite like the act!! I have since moved interstate & feel allot happier. I would never return to live in uk! I sincerely wish you all the best of luck & pray your experience is different!! Xxx

Guest seachelle
Congratulations seachelle! Looking forward to new faces coming over

Thanks very much, we (partner and I) are sooo excited :jiggy: