Moving on March 8th - Any advise? Thailand for 2 weeks first!

Guest davemc

Hi All,

After losing my job yesterday in Dublin, I've decided that this country holds no more for me, so I'v decided to bite the bullet and head out to Australia on a holiday visa + hopefully get sponsorship while out there.

So, can any one give me any advise for going out?

Also - I'm stopping off in Thailand for 2 weeks... Anyone got any suggestions?

David

Hi All,

After losing my job yesterday in Dublin, I've decided that this country holds no more for me, so I'v decided to bite the bullet and head out to Australia on a holiday visa + hopefully get sponsorship while out there.

So, can any one give me any advise for going out?

Also - I'm stopping off in Thailand for 2 weeks... Anyone got any suggestions?

David

Yeah enjoy your holiday

Dave, Oh no sorry to hear you lost your job :( that sucks. Did they give you a bit of notice at least? Have you been to Oz before? If not...ask me anything about Sydney as I lived there from Apr'07-Apr'08 and loved it!

On the bright side at least it's given you a push to go over. A friend of of mine went over on a tourist visa in Nov just gone and has just gotten a company to sponsor him in Sydney this week and he's in accounting, I'd say you'll be fine seen as there are lots of IT jobs going there too.

Never been to Thailand so no suggestions for there sorry! When you thinking of going?

cheers cs!

it doesn't suck at all - i had requested holidays in April to take a 2 week holiday to Oz to see about getting work... reason i was wating to April - I couldn't afford flights :)

Now i get a months notice (without having to work) - and my redundancy - so almost 7k :D

Been to Sydney before but didn't do it right... so all good for this time round :)

...but you can take me to the pub and tell me all about it if you like?

That's sweet getting a months wage and not having to work plus nice redundancy package! That will help set you up over there, dont go wasting too much of it in Thailand hahah tho heard it's pretty cheap over there.

eh i can take you to the pub??...who just got a nice pile of cash!!

yeah, my first day in Bangkok in 2005 - checked into my 3 euro / night accommodation - then spent about 40 mins killing wee creepers in my bed :)

So now that I've got a bit more money i might splash out and get something that might match that of a 1* hotel in Ireland :) ..the 4 euro / night option maybe? :)

tell you what - you pick the pub and i'll buy the first round :)

Guest siamsusie
yeah, my first day in Bangkok in 2005 - checked into my 3 euro / night accommodation - then spent about 40 mins killing wee creepers in my bed :)

So now that I've got a bit more money i might splash out and get something that might match that of a 1* hotel in Ireland :) ..the 4 euro / night option maybe? :)

tell you what - you pick the pub and i'll buy the first round :)

Its hard to "waste time in Thailand" Dave, what are your interests etc, Thailand is an amazing place even for 2 weeks.

:wubclub:Susie x

well i've been there before - really enjoyed it. was there by myself, and will be there by myself again... so didn't do the partyin bit...

interesting place... did deep sea fishing - i caught more than any body else on the boat, but they were all crap fish... one guy caught a barracuda and another caught a sting ray!

looking forward to two weeks without scrum meetings, .net, jquery, sql... relaxation!

Hey Dave,

Always nice to see someone grabbing some bad luck and trying to turn it round into something good :-)

In Thailand go to Railay Beach in Krabbi province. An amazing piece of paradise with something for everyone and accomodation from a couple of bucks to over 500 per night. Ton Sai is climbers and deep backpacker country, West Railay is flash packers and families and East Railay is somewhere in between. Absolutely my favourite place in the world for chilling and making plans.

Good luck!

Simon.

Cheers Simon - Just looking up those places you mentioned... gettin all excited :)

i need a week of sitting in the sun - think it's still hot season, so i'll catch up with all the aussies... damn irish winter! friggin useless!

Archived