Royal Brunei Airlines

Guest KatyNick

Guest KatyNick

Hi .... we are hoping to fly to Perth at Easter to validate our visa (if it comes in time) and are just looking at flights. We used Emirates when we went in 2008 but Royal Brunei are coming back the cheapest at the minute.

Has anyone flown with these before and if so, was it a postive experience??

Many thanks in advance :biggrin:

Decided against travelling with them as there seemed to be quite a long time to wait about between connecting flights but agree their prices are so much cheaper. Pity you have to fly from Heathrow (what a nasty horrid airport) to get the bargains. Have a look on www.seatplans.com for honest passenger reviews. You get a better luggage allowance with Emirates (30kg) than with other airlines even if you are just going for a holiday. Good luck! Val

I flew with then at Christmas they were really good. The longest stop over we had was on the way back from Brisbane it was about 3 hours in Brunei.

Another good thing with them is there air miles, there were 4 of us travelling my wife me and our 2 children, from the one trip we not have enough air miles for a free return flight to oz.

I've never flown Royal Brunei, but I'm sure they do not serve alcohol.

Whilst getting Rat arsed on a plane is not the highlight of my travels. I do like a few beers and a good sleep on a flight.

Guest smarties
I've never flown Royal Brunei, but I'm sure they do not serve alcohol.

Whilst getting Rat arsed on a plane is not the highlight of my travels. I do like a few beers and a good sleep on a flight.

You are right, they do not serve alcohol on their flights. I was told you can take small amounts to consume on board though but we didn't bother.

To the OP, we flew back to the UK with them last year (2 adults, 2 kids) and it is a loooooong journey as they have 2 stops and longish stopovers! Thankfully we only went 1 way. Unless you can get a REAL bargain don't bother, it's not worth it, found the plane basic, food horrible and the entertainment system (vital with kids IMO) would not work in certain seats.

We are returning to Oz next month and are flying with Malaysia who are OK but if I had a choice I would choose Emirates, best UK-OZ journey IMO.

We flew with them for our Reccie and they great...

Couldn't do enough for us.

The longest wait for us was about 3 hours which was just right to stretch your legs and have a look around airport etc.

Our return flight was during the ash cloud and they put us up in Brunei for 6 nights in their hotel all inclusive at no cost to us.

We flew with Singapore when we came for good.

Yes I'd say Singapore for the bells and whistles but I'd say Royal Brunei for what they did for the week stuck because of ash cloud.

I'd definitely fly with them again

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

I have flown cathay pacific each time I've been to oz and they are brilliant. This year we are flying with Singapore airlines as we got a great deal and I understand that these are great too. Looking forward to the time when I only have to get a one way ticket.

Hoping for a move to oz in the coming year or two.......hoping not three!

We have used royal Brunei when we visited Perth in 2009. The stewards/stewardesses were great but there planes are a little tired!

We flew one way with Singapore airlines on the A380 2 weeks ago and it was amazing and would highly recommend them.

I used them to fly to Dubai in 2005 and I think they were great. A good selection of films and music. Staff were great. i think one of the few airlines left to use real cutlery instead of plastic. i even got engaged on the flight home as we landed at heathrow and the pilot asked me on loud speaker on behalf of my now husband who was sat next to me. How nice is that!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bourbonjack

Good morning,

I flew with Royal Brunei and they were fantastic....

I flew out of heathrow on a friday morning, stop at dubai to re-fuel (1 hr or so), then into Brunei...literally walked off 1 plane, went the loo and walked on to the next, there an hour or so....this was the case on the return flight too.... The food was good and the entertainment was good, staff were excellent.... the planes have all been refurbed recently and were comfory....

Dubai airport is really nice, only pain is the walk off the plane, to go back through security and walk back through to the plane, whilst they are re-fuelling and cleaning...Brunei - like stepping back 20 years, but its ok for a loo break and a coffee!!!!

Hope all goes well for you, I went to Bunbury WA for my reccie trip and found my new home, hoping to be back there this year, trying to get a job as a welder for my 457 sponsored visa....as soon as I get an offer we are off....

Regards

Steve.

Guest Karen and Colin

I've heard alot of poeple recommend Singapore Airlines but when we look they are always really expensive compared to others so I was just wondering what is it that people really like about them to make them pay more?

Guest JK2510
I've heard alot of poeple recommend Singapore Airlines but when we look they are always really expensive compared to others so I was just wondering what is it that people really like about them to make them pay more?

Singapore airlines offer a double baggage allowance for all those holding a permanant one way and unvalidated visa. We had 10 items of luggage and 5 carry on items!!! It's a fair bit to control at the airports though!! Lol

Guest Karen and Colin
Singapore airlines offer a double baggage allowance for all those holding a permanant one way and unvalidated visa. We had 10 items of luggage and 5 carry on items!!! It's a fair bit to control at the airports though!! Lol

Bet your arms were a bit longer by the time you got there :biglaugh:

That certainly is a good perk.

Guest KatyNick
Good morning,

I flew with Royal Brunei and they were fantastic....

I flew out of heathrow on a friday morning, stop at dubai to re-fuel (1 hr or so), then into Brunei...literally walked off 1 plane, went the loo and walked on to the next, there an hour or so....this was the case on the return flight too.... The food was good and the entertainment was good, staff were excellent.... the planes have all been refurbed recently and were comfory....

Dubai airport is really nice, only pain is the walk off the plane, to go back through security and walk back through to the plane, whilst they are re-fuelling and cleaning...Brunei - like stepping back 20 years, but its ok for a loo break and a coffee!!!!

Hope all goes well for you, I went to Bunbury WA for my reccie trip and found my new home, hoping to be back there this year, trying to get a job as a welder for my 457 sponsored visa....as soon as I get an offer we are off....

Regards

Steve.

Thanks Steve and everyone else that has posted :biggrin:. It will be one we'll be looking at.

A 'welder' that is what my OH does - we are hopefully getting our 176 within the next few weeks and going over at easter to validation. Good luck with the 457!!!

Guest jadeyk

Opps iPhone app lol

I flew out to Perth with Brunei last April... What a mare! Got to heathrow on time for outward journey and got into line for check in. 4 and a half hours later we were still stood there... The check in system had gone down, and whilst I appreciate that this is more down to the airport than the airline, it tool Brunei those 4 and a half hours to decide to start manual check-in. Did manual check-in and got on the plane 2 hours after we were due to take off. Then...Sat there on the plane for about 3 hours as they had stuffed up the manual check in process and needed to start from scratch whilst we were all sat there.!!!

Needless to say we missed our connecting flights.

I wouldn't mind but they made no attempt to make up for it with exceptional service or particularly going out of their way to help those with serious issues about missing connecting flights!

I will always stick with Malaysia airlines now. Best to find one you like and start to build up your miles.

Guest china

I know this isn't the be all and end all - but we flew with them a couple of years ago, and although they are a 'dry' airline, we bought a litre bottle of Jim Beam (bourbon) in duty free, and they were fine to keep bringing us cans of coke and glasses of ice - we asked if they minded us drinking and they said not at all, they just couldn't serve it! We also ended up with a whole row of seats eash - result! We watched movies the whole way - and got quite drunk ;)

Archived