Enlighten me about Brisbane

Guest Marko

Hi all! Im looking at moving to Oz sometime in the near future! Have only just applied for permanent visa, so its a waiting game now! To be honest I'm not overly fussy about which city to move to, but Im fancying Sydney or maybe Brisbane! I have visited Sydney ( really liked it), Melbourne ( was ok, but it didnt do that much for me, not keen on the climate )and Perth ( lovely, bit quiet tho ) but not Brisbane!

Im getting the impression its more relaxed and friendlier than sydney , but a bit more vibrant than Perth. I like a laid-back lifestyle but also appreciate a bit of city life.

Ive heard some negative comments about queensland being a bit "redneck" though which doesn't appeal to me! Can this be said of Brisbane as well ? I know there's unpleasant types wherever you go, but i was just wondering wha the general consensus was ?

Cheers

We loved Sydney too when we visited on holiday but when we moved over here we came to Brisbane. After being in Brisbane a few months we visited Sydney and could not wait to get back home to Brissie. Not sure why we prefer it, we just do. Not much help I know....sorry

Hey ! Thanx 4 the reply Im thinking the same way as you luv sydney to visit but not sure about living there! Wish I'd have taken a look at Brisbane when i was in oz! ! Ive noticed on a lot on UK programmes at least, Brisbane tends to get overlooked in favour of other Australian cities which makes me all the more curious ;)

Hi Marko,

Welcome and congratulations for using the words 'Brisbane' and 'enlighten' in the same sentence :laugh: You would be right that Brisbane is a bit more laid back than Sydney. Not sure about friendlier but not being so fast moving, it may be that some people have a little more time. The climate can be an issue for some - what is good for a holiday (this summer excepted) is not always what you want for regular life. If getting to work already melting bothers you then either get a car with amazing aircon or else look further south. We definitely can't claim to have the city life that Sydney and Melbourne do, probably closer to Perth in that regard. I haven't lived in Sydney but I would say (might get in trouble here) that it is definitely more redneck than Melbourne but that doesn't mean everyone is sporting a mullet and chewing straw either. Brisbane is a city that is changing and becoming more cosmopolitan, its a funny mix but for better or worse it is behind the southern cities in that regard. For some that is part of the charm, for others cringeworthy, depends on your taste. If you like somewhere with a bit of urban buzz then choose your area of Brisbane carefully, you might love some of the inner city areas (once the flood clean-up progresses) but may not enjoy some of the more, er, traditional suburbs.

Guest Dinkytwinkle

Hi Marko,

I know you say your not overly fussy about which city you move to but you may change your mind once your living there, as the cities are all so different!! I went on a short trip to Oz last year to see whether I liked it and to check out the 3 places I thought were 'main contenders' Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane.

I think you may want to check out Brisbane before you pin all your hopes on living there! When we went there were some lovely things to check out such as riding along the river in the city cats, the markets next to the river, the lovely walkways and little fake beach area next to the river, and the nightlife on a Fri/Sat night was good - situated in one strip which was easy to get to. There were also buses everywhere so it seemed quite easy to travel around on public transport. It's also a good location to get to Sydney/Byron Bay/Gold Coast etc....

HOWEVER! this was honestly was the weirdest thing I have ever experienced but walking around in the day and even in the evening on a weekday, there was no one around anywhere! It was dead! Where is everyone??? The only people (other than travellers in our hostel) we managed to locate were some friendly locals in a bar on the strip on a Friday night and they were telling us they had 'never left Brissie' - they didn't seem to know much about the outside world!!

I must admit me and my friend were not bowled over by Brisbane, it was very hot, humid and wet, a ghost town vibe, friendly but very 'local' locals, not that much to do once you have checked out the riverside, and very built up with not much to look at. I might be sticking my neck out and offending lots of people who love Brisbane but I wouldn't be rushing back there :-S

Guest AndyandYvonneD

We've found Brisbane to be brilliant, how anyone can say it's unfriendly we'll never know. We both work with people who originate from Brisbane and find them to be very warm people with a good sense of humour. The city is cosmopolitan despite whats been said before, you can walk down any of the main streets and see people from every nation, even in the suburbs this happens. Some say the city is expensive...rubbish its far cheaper than the UK. Once the clean up is finished and the city is back to normal, there will be loads to do everywhere you go. The humidity can be a killer in summer if your not used to it, so yes a car would be useful, then again the trains are airconed anyway. We've been to Sydney and found it to be like London, with beggars and litter in the City Center, Brisbane doesn't suffer from this. How do we know all this...we live here!

Guest siamsusie
airconed anyway. We've been to Sydney and found it to be like London, with beggars and litter in the City Center, Brisbane doesn't suffer from this. How do we know all this...we live here!

How are the snags?:wubclub:

Hi Marko,

I know you say your not overly fussy about which city you move to but you may change your mind once your living there, as the cities are all so different!! I went on a short trip to Oz last year to see whether I liked it and to check out the 3 places I thought were 'main contenders' Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane.

I think you may want to check out Brisbane before you pin all your hopes on living there! When we went there were some lovely things to check out such as riding along the river in the city cats, the markets next to the river, the lovely walkways and little fake beach area next to the river, and the nightlife on a Fri/Sat night was good - situated in one strip which was easy to get to. There were also buses everywhere so it seemed quite easy to travel around on public transport. It's also a good location to get to Sydney/Byron Bay/Gold Coast etc....

HOWEVER! this was honestly was the weirdest thing I have ever experienced but walking around in the day and even in the evening on a weekday, there was no one around anywhere! It was dead! Where is everyone??? The only people (other than travellers in our hostel) we managed to locate were some friendly locals in a bar on the strip on a Friday night and they were telling us they had 'never left Brissie' - they didn't seem to know much about the outside world!!

I must admit me and my friend were not bowled over by Brisbane, it was very hot, humid and wet, a ghost town vibe, friendly but very 'local' locals, not that much to do once you have checked out the riverside, and very built up with not much to look at. I might be sticking my neck out and offending lots of people who love Brisbane but I wouldn't be rushing back there :-S

It's not offensive just surprising. Last few times I have been into Brisbane I have been amazed by the number of people packed into the city - way more than it used to be - it was weekday daytime. Maybe it is just where you went and when...in a humid time when people were hiding...who knows. I must admit I have even had that feeling in Sydney so I guess timing and local knowledge is king. It sounds like you missed a few main areas of Brisbane out but I guess as a tourist you wouldn't know about them. I think you might be surprised that your visit didn't accurately reflect living here but I guess it's not something you're going to rush back to find out :wink:

Hi all! Im looking at moving to Oz sometime in the near future! Have only just applied for permanent visa, so its a waiting game now! To be honest I'm not overly fussy about which city to move to, but Im fancying Sydney or maybe Brisbane! I have visited Sydney ( really liked it), Melbourne ( was ok, but it didnt do that much for me, not keen on the climate )and Perth ( lovely, bit quiet tho ) but not Brisbane!

Im getting the impression its more relaxed and friendlier than sydney , but a bit more vibrant than Perth. I like a laid-back lifestyle but also appreciate a bit of city life.

Ive heard some negative comments about queensland being a bit "redneck" though which doesn't appeal to me! Can this be said of Brisbane as well ? I know there's unpleasant types wherever you go, but i was just wondering wha the general consensus was ?

Cheers

I think you have given quite a good description. It is a more relaxed and friendly place than Sydney with a more laid back vibe but still with a bit of city life.

Queensland as a large hot decentralised state obviously has a lot of the sort of people you need to look after remote properties and small towns. Geography dictates this sort of thing. Some of them may support the hick state view.

Brisbane feels a long way from all that as it is tucked in the south east corner of the massive state in a region of almost 3 million people so obviously it has a mix of all sorts including many from down south and overseas. As well as its share of outer suburban hicks that all Australian cities have. It will not be quite as sophisticated as the southern cities but there are still many, many people who are definitely not hick.

Similar to most cities you choose your suburb/area on the vibe that suits you. Being a smaller city in a hot climate, without the massive inner urban build up that Sydney/Melbourne has, its known vibe areas are obviously on a more modest scale and low key. Where I live in inner western Brisbane the people are similar to the well travelled people you would find in any big city and there is more than enough cultural events to satisfy me. I have children though so am looking for a nice balance of things that suits us.

I think the best description of Brisbane for me is pleasant. At this stage, married with children, that suits me down to the ground. I walk out the door and see lovely architecture, a green and lush sub tropical environment, cafes, parks, quirky shops, a feeling of safety and peace surrounded by mostly friendly/intelligent well travelled people...and I really enjoy the many beautiful, dry, non humid glorious low 20's days we often get right through winter. I haven't found this particular combination anywhere and I have been to 25+ countries (not that I explored the whole of every country of course) - I really love this aspect of my part of Brisbane.

Some of the humid weather that comes sometimes in summer can spoil it but the rest of the year makes up for it in spades for me. Of course some days it would be great to walk through a mirror and into Times Square but anywhere you live is a compromise.

Others living in different parts of Brisbane, or with different priorities, or single, or young, or a love of cold or skiing or whatever, may find Melbourne/Sydney more to their tastes. Its all about the balance that suits each person I guess.

Guest Dinkytwinkle
It's not offensive just surprising. Last few times I have been into Brisbane I have been amazed by the number of people packed into the city - way more than it used to be - it was weekday daytime. Maybe it is just where you went and when...in a humid time when people were hiding...who knows. I must admit I have even had that feeling in Sydney so I guess timing and local knowledge is king. It sounds like you missed a few main areas of Brisbane out but I guess as a tourist you wouldn't know about them. I think you might be surprised that your visit didn't accurately reflect living here but I guess it's not something you're going to rush back to find out :wink:

Just re-read my post and it does sound a bit harsh! I think I had such high hopes for Brisbane and an open mind before going, as there were lot of job prospects with Queensland Health and it looked kinda perfect on paper. However I was disappointed. We were situated mostly around the Southbank, CBD and went into Fortitude Valley on a weekend (Which was when we suddenly saw a lot of people!) and we explored areas around the riverside (I can't remember off the top of my head the names) and we also went to the Lone Pine Koala sanctuary which was lovely.

I do understand being a tourist it was hard to get to know the in's and out's of the city in a short time! It was my first impressions that were not great, so it didn't inspire me to stay and find out more. (I have realised I am more of a beach girl and not so much a city slicker so maybe that was it!) however I did meet a girl later on in my travels who lived in Brisbane for 6 months as she got a job there, she hated it at first as she found it very quiet, however she grew to love the city and enjoyed her time spent there.

I would just make sure you check out the city before pinning all your hopes on settling there, as I get the impression Marko you have noticed some things about the other cities that you might not have liked. I hope Brisbane gives you the perfect balance of what you are looking for in a city. Unfortunately for me it didn't deliver what I expected, but we are all different, and this is a great forum for us to share our opinions, good or sometimes not so good. :v_SPIN:

Having lived my whole life in London and working in central London, the sheer number of people can sometimes be really irritating - never getting a seat on the bus / train, waiting ages in the rain or snow. I would relish the perceived quiet of Brisbane. This is where I'm hoping to be if I ever get to move there.

My sister lives in Brighton (19km north of brissie) and I wouldn't suggest going there for the nightlife - there is none, however it suits her and her young family and I love it for the peace and quiet. No cars zooming along at 40mph outside the window! Whether I could live in that suburb long term I don't know but if I have children I would!

All in all it depends what u want on ure doorstep, if I want some nightlife I have to go further than my front door!

Hoping for a move to oz in the coming year or two.......hoping not three!

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Brisbane sounds ideal to me! I love the heat whether its humid or dry I don't care! As much as I liked sydney as a city I didnt find it a 'friendly' place as such - quite rude at times in fact! I didn't find that in Melbourne and Perth ! Its funny how peoples perceptions of a place differ. Personally I didn't think Melbourne lived up to the hype, Whilst I didn't find perth to be as dull and backward as I was led to believe !

We will be moving to Brisbane in 7 weeks, we have not been there before so we are taking a bit of a risk, but this thread has actually put our minds at rest! The words quiet and laid back will suit us down to the ground.

We spent some time as tourists in Melbourne at the end of 2009 and we were disappointed with what we found, but we stayed in a dodgy area (apparently) which probably accounted for our experience there. We went on to New Zealand and actually found it hotter too! (due to the weather conditions at the time) Ultimatley we know not to judge a place by first impressions, we are willing to live in Brisbane for better or worse due to the research we have done, if Brisbane does not suit us in a few years time we will try other places in Australia, but hopefully we find what we are looking for and don't wish to move again.:smile:

I'm finding Brisbane fantastic , although living in redcliffe I work in and around the city. Been a couple of painful days with the humidity but I'm working outside a lot of the time and there's usually a pool or at least a hose to cool down with . One thing that has surprised me is the ethnic diversity across the city and how friendly everyone is , people here seem genuinely nice and chat freely .there's lots of lovely suburbs around 15km from the centre .

Guest The Joker

I have been in Brisbane for almost 8 years and wouldn't live anywhere else now. We had a look at Sydney and Melbourne but felt Brisbane gave us more of what we were looking for - that complete change of pace and lifestyle. Sydney, for me, is just like any large city anywhere in the world - busy, dirty, impersonal. Melbourne was nice but has proper winters. Brrrrrr. Not for me thanks. I work in the centre of Brisbane (known as the CBD or Central Business District) and am still amazed when the locals complain about the heavy traffic but in the middle of the day I can look out from my office and see great swathes of tarmac without a car on it.

It is humid in summer - there's no point lying about it, it can get bloody humid and that's very draining, even with relatively low temperatures. But you do get used to it and develop strategies to cope. Never have I been more willing to accompany my wife to the shopping centre (nicely air conditioned) than during our first summer here. But now we have a house with no air con and just ceiling fans. A trip to the beach usually works if it is really hot and humid.

However, the relaxed lifestyle, usually regular clear blue skies (floods and cyclones excepted), generally friendly people (although there are miserable gits wherever you go) are what attracted us and keep us here. You will find two types of people in Queensland - Queenslanders who have never been out of Queensland and have no plans ever to do so and people, like us, who have generally seen a bit of the world and chosen Queensland to be home.

That said, it is not everyone's cup of light latte (lame reference to the choice of hot beverage you can expect at any one of the hundreds of coffee places you can find everywhere). I have had some friends go back to England as they just couldn't get on with the pace of life - too slow. It has that Spanish maniana vibe. You don't get things done in a hurry - deliberately so when it gets hot and humid. My belief is that you have to be clear on what you are seeking for out of the move in terms of life style, prospects, environment and social interactions. Write them down if you need to. Then ask people form each city how they believe that city matches up to those expectations. My father said to me as we said our goodbyes "I hope you find what you are looking for". All I can say is "I have, and so much more".

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AnnaW

Hi, we moved to Brisbane just over a week ago (20th) and we are loving it! We have met 3 grumpy people in total, learnt to expect to have a chat with every shop keeper (except in the super markets) and have had loads of offers of help and advice to settle in. People are lovelty here and whilst it's not as busy as somewhere like London there are enough people around for my taste and I've not met many hicks (but not ventured too far into the suburbs)!

We arrived on what may well have been the hottest day of the year but we're not finding to heat too bad - and have been out walking in the worst of it. You just have to drink lots and wear a hat and cream. We were warned of the constant rain before we came but it's not like that. There's a good chance of rain late afternoon or in the evening but it doesn't seam to rain at any other time - a typical sub-tropical climate I guess. Lol, you soon dry off here anyway! On that note, we were really suprised how normal the place looks after the floods. Most things are back to normal with the exception of flooded apartments still waiting for lifts to be fixed and the south bank beach is still closed and a few ferry stops aren't running yet. There's still plenty to see and do.

We're based near the CBD (in spring hill) for a couple of weeks then we're moving out to the West End where we are renting an amazing apartment. We hired a car for $50 a day and went up to the sunshine coast last weekend which we fell in love with. We just can't believe we're so close to paradise! We were a bit dissapointed with the lack of nice local beaches that you can get to on public transport but that might because because we haven't found them yet. We've made up for it by booking a weekend trip to Tangaloomba Island resort (just off Brissie coast) for $150 each (with an offer).

My uncle is australian and lives in mount gambier down south and he says Brisbane is his fav city, as have a few other people we've met (but then they're people who have chosen to live here).

Basically, what I love about this place is the friendly calm atmosphere which mimics the lush calm green environment. If you're able to live a bit closer to the beaches but still have access to the centre then you're sorted in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

Anna

p.s. Olly your dog is gorgeous!

Guest happycrappy
Hi, we moved to Brisbane just over a week ago (20th) and we are loving it! We have met 3 grumpy people in total, learnt to expect to have a chat with every shop keeper (except in the super markets) and have had loads of offers of help and advice to settle in. People are lovelty here and whilst it's not as busy as somewhere like London there are enough people around for my taste and I've not met many hicks (but not ventured too far into the suburbs)!

We arrived on what may well have been the hottest day of the year but we're not finding to heat too bad - and have been out walking in the worst of it. You just have to drink lots and wear a hat and cream. We were warned of the constant rain before we came but it's not like that. There's a good chance of rain late afternoon or in the evening but it doesn't seam to rain at any other time - a typical sub-tropical climate I guess. Lol, you soon dry off here anyway! On that note, we were really suprised how normal the place looks after the floods. Most things are back to normal with the exception of flooded apartments still waiting for lifts to be fixed and the south bank beach is still closed and a few ferry stops aren't running yet. There's still plenty to see and do.

We're based near the CBD (in spring hill) for a couple of weeks then we're moving out to the West End where we are renting an amazing apartment. We hired a car for $50 a day and went up to the sunshine coast last weekend which we fell in love with. We just can't believe we're so close to paradise! We were a bit dissapointed with the lack of nice local beaches that you can get to on public transport but that might because because we haven't found them yet. We've made up for it by booking a weekend trip to Tangaloomba Island resort (just off Brissie coast) for $150 each (with an offer).

My uncle is australian and lives in mount gambier down south and he says Brisbane is his fav city, as have a few other people we've met (but then they're people who have chosen to live here).

Basically, what I love about this place is the friendly calm atmosphere which mimics the lush calm green environment. If you're able to live a bit closer to the beaches but still have access to the centre then you're sorted in my opinion.

Hope that helps.

Anna

p.s. Olly your dog is gorgeous!

Try Bribie Island, an hours drive North of Brissy, come off the Bruce Highway at Caboolture and head East. Go to the other side of the Island to Woorim, drive into the centre, turn left at a public car park and follow the beach road till you see the last car park on your right. From there you can walk onto the beach, its gorgeous, normaly pretty quiet even a weekends or public hols. From here you can walk for miles if you wish along a flat scenic beach that must be one of the best in the area. Aparently the fishings good, but I'm not the expert, me and Noreen love it

Guest Guest31881
Try Bribie Island, an hours drive North of Brissy, come off the Bruce Highway at Caboolture and head East. Go to the other side of the Island to Woorim, drive into the center, turn left at a public car park and follow the beach road till you see the last car park on your right. From there you can walk onto the beach, its gorgeous, normal pretty quiet even a weekends or public hols. From here you can walk for miles if you wish along a flat scenic beach that must be one of the best in the area. Apparently the fishing good, but I'm not the expert, me and Noreen love it

SHHHHHHH, not supposed to tell anyone about Bribie Island.

Must agree it is a great place, lived there for 12 months before moving, can't beat it.

Guest happycrappy

Must agree it is a great place, lived there for 12 months before moving, can't beat it.

LOL, OOOOOOOOOOPS Sorry everyone, don't go to Bribie it's crap, full of litter, dog doo and drug users, think that should do it

Beautiful place , went there for first time on Friday and it'll be a regular now , especially with the blueberry pancakes with maple and ice cream we had !

Guest The Joker

Shame you went there during the busy period. You want to try it when it's a bit quieter. The closest beaches to Brisbane can be found at Margate, Redcliffe and Scarborough (there's a big expanse of sand at Nudgee which is great to run the dogs on at low tide but you wouldn't spend the day there). They can get a little busy. I'd have to say that the beaches at Bribie are better, and Moreton Island still offers some protection from the ocean surf. I am obviously biased, but then you have the wonderful Sunshine Coast beaches which are in an environment that knocks the socks off the Gold Coast (that'll get a few hairs up). Try Mooloolaba or Coolum.