Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kirstyn

Spouse Visa 309 or 100 or 417 ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Guest Kirstyn

Hi all,

I'm currently applying for jobs in Aus and I know that getting one before I go and without a visa is a very long shot. So, I wanted to start asking some questions about which visa to apply for and how long it will take?

My husband is Australian (and British), I am Canadian and we currently live in the UK. We are coming up to our 5 year anniversary. I am under 30 and we have no children.

I understand that I can still go on a Working Holiday visa and that these visas are a lot cheaper than the rest and they don't take very long to process. So I thought I can always apply for one of these if I get a job.

However, since I would then later need to change my visa to a temp spouse visa or a perm spouse visa I thought I might just do that first. However, these are much more expensive. I understand that since we have been married for 5 years I may not have to apply for the temp visa (309) first I may be able to go straight for the (100)?

How long do these visas take to process though? I can't seem to find it anywhere!!!!

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Kirstyn

Guest siamsusie

Hi Kirstyn, most De Facto visas from London are taking 5/6 months.

Best wishes Susie x

Guest BrightonBoys

Hi

Just to confirm Susie.. I have been been waiting 4 months.... and told between 5 and 6 months!!

Guest Kirstyn

Ouch, okay. Many thanks! That seems like a long time to me. Thank you so much for your quick reply.

Guest Kirstyn

Further to this, does anyone know if it's a problem to first go on a Working Holiday visa and switch to a 309 or 100 later?

Guest Laura G

If you needed to get to Oz quickly, you could go on 417 and then apply for onshore Partner Visa 820/801

Guest siamsusie
If you needed to get to Oz quickly, you could go on 417 and then apply for onshore Partner Visa 820/801

Laura the time frames for an on shore are pretty dismal right now according to many reports, do you think with possible no work rights and bridging visas this is the way to go?

It's just a question, I am no expert at all...

Guest Kirstyn

How long are 820/801 visa's taking then? Wouldn't I have work rights if I was already there on a 417? You are all so helpful, I really appreciate this thank you :smile:

Guest Laura G
Laura the time frames for an on shore are pretty dismal right now according to many reports, do you think with possible no work rights and bridging visas this is the way to go?

It's just a question, I am no expert at all...

The 417 has full work rights, therefore when you make a valid application and are granted the Bridging Visa A, you will still have full work rights.

Recent onshore timeframes are 6- 9 months - realisticly i would say 8 months from what I have seen recently

Guest Meow

Hmm, i think i am, or in afew days will be on a bridging visa, does this mean i cant work or study or anything? Or does it depend on the situation?

Guest Laura G
Hmm, i think i am, or in afew days will be on a bridging visa, does this mean i cant work or study or anything? Or does it depend on the situation?

Depends what Bridging Visa you were granted and also what visa you held prior to making the new visa application