One Year Update - Brisbane - long thread!

Generalis

Guest IlkleyMoorBahtat

thanks for that, really helps. Do you pay for contents insurance when renting over there or is it covered by the landlord like water and rates/council tax?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Guest Jamie Hunter

This is great stuff. Getting real world info like this is rare and valuable!

Myself and my wife are currently scouring north Brisbane for somewhere to rent, schools and all the info on Local Voices via Estateagent.com.au is depressing sometimes.

We looked at Bracken Ridge but got poor ratings (ie north Bracken Ridge not nice) from local voices but do you think its worth thinking about and what about other local areas like Petrie, Bald Hills, Bray Park - any thoughts?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we're moving over in June, July at the latest (gulp)!

Jamie & Viv

Guest guest30038
This is great stuff. Getting real world info like this is rare and valuable!

Myself and my wife are currently scouring north Brisbane for somewhere to rent, schools and all the info on Local Voices via Estateagent.com.au is depressing sometimes.

We looked at Bracken Ridge but got poor ratings (ie north Bracken Ridge not nice) from local voices but do you think its worth thinking about and what about other local areas like Petrie, Bald Hills, Bray Park - any thoughts?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we're moving over in June, July at the latest (gulp)!

Jamie & Viv

The North of Bracken Ridge adjoins Bald Hills and it's Bald Hills that has given N BR a bit of a downtrodden look in places. We've been in BR for 15 yrs and wouldn't move anywhere else. The OP now lives 2 doors down from us. Feel free to PM me if you want to meet up and I'll show you round BR.

kev

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for putting the time in on this thread Sam..........I'm sure it'll prove useful to those wanting to come here.

May I say, it's been a pleasure to count you and your family as amongst our friends, but if you think you're gonna use the pool each day, just because you're looking at the rental next door???????????????? :wink: Only joking :laugh:

kev

Hiya,

I found your friend's post very informative and we are looking at settling in Bracken Ridge in August 2011. Job ready etc, just awaiting visa processing. I don't want to sound cheeky but it would great to just have a coffee or to say hi when we arrive as I feel it would be beneficial to meet up with someone who knows the area? Sorry to be so forward!!

:biggrin:

Guest guest30038
Hiya,

I found your friend's post very informative and we are looking at settling in Bracken Ridge in August 2011. Job ready etc, just awaiting visa processing. I don't want to sound cheeky but it would great to just have a coffee or to say hi when we arrive as I feel it would be beneficial to meet up with someone who knows the area? Sorry to be so forward!!

:biggrin:

Not forward chook, just friendly and "open". It'll be a pleasure, and with Sam now living a couple of doors away and a couple of other PIO members in Bracken Ridge, you'll never feel alone.

Feel free to PM me if you want some info on the area or help when you arrive.

kev

Guest siamsusie

itcouldbeworse

itcouldbeworse is likened to Victor Meldrew

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^=excellent baby sitter, particularly for babies! over nighters particularly welcome!:tongue::tongue:

Save

itcouldbeworse

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^=excellent baby sitter, particularly for babies! over nighters particularly welcome!:tongue::tongue:

Save

HA HA!!! Sounds like my kinda guy! ;-) Interestingly, my wife likens me to aforementioned grumpy guy

:policeman:

Guest guest30038
itcouldbeworse

Save

Don't you think I've got enough on! Mine are just beginning to fend for themselves and then along comes another grandson :rolleyes:................now there's another on the way!.................I'll be babysitting 2 in 12 months time!..........................love it though :yes:......................I get to finish off what's left in the tins of that yummy baby food :biglaugh:

Guest siamsusie

Mr multi tasker there in Bracken Ridge, the only thing you cant do is wet nurse!:biggrin:.

Surround yourself my friend, at least one of the 34 you have taken care of in your life time, might not put you in a home!:tongue:

Guest guest30038
Mr multi tasker there in Bracken Ridge, the only thing you cant do is wet nurse!:biggrin:.

Surround yourself my friend, at least one of the 34 you have taken care of in your life time, might not put you in a home!:tongue:

I'm ready to go now! God give me strength! Jake's got 14 pairs of underpants and I've just caught him drying out a pair with a bloody hairdryer!................"I only like two pairs," he says...................funny that there's 12 in his drawer and the only two he likes were on the washing line! That rest home can't come soon enough :rolleyes:

Guest siamsusie
I'm ready to go now! God give me strength! Jake's got 14 pairs of underpants and I've just caught him drying out a pair with a bloody hairdryer!................"I only like two pairs," he says...................funny that there's 12 in his drawer and the only two he likes were on the washing line! That rest home can't come soon enough :rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:@ hairdryer:biglaugh:..... hey! do you mean to say the sun isnt shining in Brissie today:huh:.. well I never:cute:

There is a spare bed with all the inco sheets available here in Tassie for you Kev:wubclub:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jamie Hunter

We're probably going to rent in Bracken Ridge now - arriving late July :smile:

Im checking out realestate.co.au like crazy and like a townhouse on Emma Street and Ruocco Street. Do you know the area just north of Barbour Rd - is it an ok place to live - any issues you're aware of??

Too confusing to choose as most look good online!

Any tips really appreciated.

Jamie and Viv

Guest guest30038
We're probably going to rent in Bracken Ridge now - arriving late July :smile:

Im checking out realestate.co.au like crazy and like a townhouse on Emma Street and Ruocco Street. Do you know the area just north of Barbour Rd - is it an ok place to live - any issues you're aware of??

Too confusing to choose as most look good online!

Any tips really appreciated.

Jamie and Viv

They've only been up about 12 months Jamie. Town houses ie Semis. small, overpriced, but as a stop gap ok. No maintenance as I'm certain they have a permanent site maintenance guy. Unfortunately, they're on my doorste p so you'll have me to put up with :wink: :biglaugh:

They've struggled to rent 'em out because you can get a 3 bed detached for the same rent..............I believe they're around 340 to 360 bucks but if you're getting 'em cheaper than that, then ok

kev

Guest Jamie Hunter

Ta for that. Im not seeing too much else and my wifes not all together keen on a queenslander lol

Would prefer a detached 3 bed so ill keep looking

Guest Blackie

Thanks sam, sounds like you had an eventful year, me my gf and baby girl 14months will be arriving in brisbane in 3 weeks, we have an apartnent booked at kangaroo point for 4 weeks but will need to find a rental which allow a little dog.

we have been looking on the net, and was wondering if the rental market is in high demand , or are the rents negotiable.

Also do you think it is necessary to have a car for the first few weeks, or is it better to hire the days when you need a car.

Hi Blackie I would say the rental market is in high demand, not sure if you can negotiate price but doesnt hurt to ask. We hired a car for 3 weeks and bought car after 2 weeks but couldnt return car early and get refund. Maybe hire for 2 weeks ? We found if we werent dealing with banks or looking for rentals there always other things to sort like schools, getting tfn sorted and things like that and there's always a little relaxation time to appreciate all that Brisbane has to offer amidst all the stress of setting up a new life.

Good luck in your new venture

Guest JanUK

I think it's great that you've settled in so well and given all us hopeful's such an honest and balanced view of your expereinces. Hopefully I'll be in a position to do the same for some one else one day!

Jan

• 2 months later...
Guest hannash
Thanks for putting the time in on this thread Sam..........I'm sure it'll prove useful to those wanting to come here.

May I say, it's been a pleasure to count you and your family as amongst our friends, but if you think you're gonna use the pool each day, just because you're looking at the rental next door???????????????? :wink: Only joking :laugh:

kev

yeh for def

Guest hannash

hi generalis ,you mentioned in you long but excellent post about norris road school ,,is it ok to ask whats your feeling on the place an d would it be a decent school ,,going around the whole area yesterday on google earth for hours ,, i looked at the houses also ,that jamie hunter was asking you about ,, we were looking at a rental on rosa drive (i think thats what it was called )no 3 and their next door neighbour no 1 has there`s up for sale ,, i have to say it does look quiet ,any info would be helpfull ,:unsure:

Hi Hannash

I feel that Norris Road school is a really good school. Both my children go there and they have good staff and a nice feel to the school as well. I also used to volunteer in the tuck shop so have met a few of the staff at the school. Norris Road has a new principal as welll so have yet to see how he performs but up to now its good. Only one thing I've noticed is they dont have a lot of homework compared to say a private school so not sure if that's a negative or whether its right for my child's age. I have a 10 year old and a 5 year old in prep.

Rosa Crescent is nice. I like that street as its a lovely tree lined street and nice houses on there. Not sure how up to date the maps are as I think that house was up for sale a while ago and think its sold and owners have been in a while but wil still be same for aerial view. It is a quiet street, think its all quiet really if you are away from the main roads.

hi generalis ,you mentioned in you long but excellent post about norris road school ,,is it ok to ask whats your feeling on the place an d would it be a decent school ,,going around the whole area yesterday on google earth for hours ,, i looked at the houses also ,that jamie hunter was asking you about ,, we were looking at a rental on rosa drive (i think thats what it was called )no 3 and their next door neighbour no 1 has there`s up for sale ,, i have to say it does look quiet ,any info would be helpfull ,:unsure:

An alternative to google earth is NearMap which is an Australian map site. The great thing about it is that it has regular updates and you can look at the view on particular dates, which is great as you can really check out flood maps etc in Brisbane.

Its lovely to hear a really good positive post from new(ish) migrants and so pleased for you all. I know what you mean about children being regarded as a nuisance in the UK- this is something which struck us as a difference between life here and life there way back when we first emigrated in the 1970s.

Archived