I'm the same girl, with a very different attitude!!

Guest jackie Macdonald

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the advice, we're not quite sure where we will live but we are going to take our time and have a good look at both Coastal and City areas. A combination of the both would be nice!! It depends where hubby will be stationed. The last place I lived in over there felt like a retirement village, wasn't particularly close to anything other than freeways and I felt very isolated. I didn't have a car or job either which didn't help!

Hopefully we'll find a place that 'clicks' this time,

Thanks again

Jxx

I think my wife would have felt a lot more homesick had she not started work straight away (after 1 week of arriving). I was out of work for 5 months and although I was having a great time going to the beach most days and riding around on my bike with our 2 year old on the back, I didn't feel like I fitted in until I had a job.

It gives you a social life just going to work and meeting other people.

Maybe even a part time job would help too on your return?

Guest jackie Macdonald
I think my wife would have felt a lot more homesick had she not started work straight away (after 1 week of arriving). I was out of work for 5 months and although I was having a great time going to the beach most days and riding around on my bike with our 2 year old on the back, I didn't feel like I fitted in until I had a job.

It gives you a social life just going to work and meeting other people.

Maybe even a part time job would help too on your return?

I leave work here on 29th May so will have a couple of months out this end to get organised, then once we have chosen the area of choice, it will be top of my list of priorities for sure.

Funny you mention filling your days out on the bike! I used to spend virtually all day on mine cycling to and from the City just to get out and about. It might have been a lonely existence but it sure helped the fitness levels!

jxx

Guest jackie Macdonald
Good luck to you and your family. The UK will be waiting for your return:rolleyes:

Hmm......:smile: Maybe one day Rayman1, but not for sometime time yet!

jxx

Hi Jackie,

I was talking to a lady last week who was born in Perth and has lived here all her life. She has just moved from Currambine to Burns Beach and said what a difference it has made to the whole family. It's only a move of about 5km, from one side of Marmion Ave, near the golf course to the sea side.

She said she walked the dog down to the cafe and holiday park at Burns Beach now and felt like she was on holiday. Apparently the husband and kids all seem much more happy and relaxed.

Just shows what getting the right suburb can do, even for someone born and bred here.

Brilliant weather at the moment by the way, if you like it hot and sunny:cool:

All the best,

Paul.

Guest jackie Macdonald
Hi Jackie,

I was talking to a lady last week who was born in Perth and has lived here all her life. She has just moved from Currambine to Burns Beach and said what a difference it has made to the whole family. It's only a move of about 5km, from one side of Marmion Ave, near the golf course to the sea side.

She said she walked the dog down to the cafe and holiday park at Burns Beach now and felt like she was on holiday. Apparently the husband and kids all seem much more happy and relaxed.

Just shows what getting the right suburb can do, even for someone born and bred here.

Brilliant weather at the moment by the way, if you like it hot and sunny:cool:

All the best,

Paul.

Aw thanks Paul. I'm feeling better and better with all the valuable advice here! thanks for all your help

jackie xx:smile:

Guest jackie Macdonald
Good luck in Perth. Remember to choose a beautiful suburb with friendly, happy people. A great suburb really makes it. Make sure it feels like the Australia you dreamed of. Sun, beach, happy surfing kids.

Thanks Skipjack,

I'm fine about the move but getting a bit panicky about which suburb to chose.. so want to get it right this time! any tips?

jackie x

Thanks Skipjack,

I'm fine about the move but getting a bit panicky about which suburb to chose.. so want to get it right this time! any tips?

jackie x

Hi Jackie,

The good news is that I guess you're not tied to commuting to the CBD every day with your OH getting posted closer to the suburb you choose. Which means you can choose a suburb that's a bit further out of grim suburbia.

I don't know Perth but we moved out from Melbourne suburbia to the Surfcoast (90 mins from Melbourne CBD) and now live in a seaside town (Torquay) which is full of cafes and restaurants. I like it because it has a great local community and the summer holiday makers (although taking over a bit at xmas) are happy and always in holiday mode.

Also, we lived in Sumner (christchurch ) for ten years which was also a seaside suburb and again had all the cafes and laid back environment. We loved it and so did our young kids.

So, my plan for today is (with kids at school) off for a run on the beach and cliiftops and the obligatory latte. Sunnies on. Outside table. Good book. Watch the surf.

This is so much like the aussie dream and we love it. but living closer to Melbourne for a year was just a miserable grind. Amazing how a suburb makes or breaks.

Good luck and don't forget to enjoy the hard work, hassles, determination and adventure. It's all part of having a fun life even if at times it's exhausting and incredibly frustrating !

Hope this all makes sense !

Hi Skipjack,

Spot on with your assessment. Luckily Perth has a lot of great beaches and the lifestyle you mention within 20 mins of the City Centre. Unlike a lot of cities. Trouble is the places like Cottesloe and City Beach are a touch on the expensive side (to say the least) although the houses, especially City Beach are magnificent.

We are further North as it's a lot cheaper but places like Hillarys, Ocean Reef, Iluka and Mullaloo have retaurants, cafes and Mullaloo in particular has a gorgeous beach. Slowly becoming the "Cottesloe of the North". It's still only 30 mins from the City Centre on the freeway too.

All the best.

Archived