I'm the same girl, with a very different attitude!!

Guest jackie Macdonald

Guest jackie Macdonald

Hi everyone,

I wasn't quite sure what section to put this thread on but decided this would probably be the most apt!

I recently put up a post regarding our family dilemma and the choice we were faced with regarding staying put in the UK without work, or returning to Oz with the possibility of a very different senario. I received some excellent advice, as always and am truly grateful for all the support I received.

Well the result is that hubby HAS been accepted back in the Western Australian Police and after a lot of soul searching and hard thinking we have decided that we will, after all, be heading back to Perth!

We have certainly raised a few eyebrows this end, but we have also encountered a few who have been in our position and are really supportive and understand our reasons for doing so. We either sink here or swim there. It might not be the answer long term, but much as I love the UK, it is no place to be when you haven't the security of a decent job and you stand to lose everything you have worked so hard for.

I am under no illusion that I will have my off days and am fully prepared for them. I also have mixed feelings about where our future ultimately lies, but one thing I do know is that I am coming back with more positive feelings than negative ones! sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the horns and make that all encumbering move!

The difference this time, is that I don't intend to make my choice of residence there my final resting place (at least not at the moment). I feel that it is the stepping stone towards what I am really aiming for. We already have residency, so once we can get citizenship, we are free to come and go and would like to look at the prospect of moving on to either Melbourne or Sydney. We have come this far and will bloody well make it work this time.

If I am qualified to give any constructive advice here to anyone thinking about returning to the UK, it is that they really must secure a job before doing so, as life can take a turn for the worst in these difficult times and it is a position I never envisaged being in and don't ever want to find myself in again!

Having said all that, I will never stop loving the UK and don't intend to abandon or forget it altogether. I have very close family here (as we all have) and in a few years time, who knows we may even be able to live between the two, but for now we are simply heading to where the work is and live a decent comfortable life while the children are growing up. What the future holds, WHO KNOWS! but I intend to keep going until I find out!

Thanks to everyone who has helped me through the journey!

Jackie

XXXX

If it was not for work we would probably not be living in Melbourne but to make life work we need income and have to take what is the best offer.

When we came here my oh was still at sea so we could live in any country but a job came up and he took it and here we are. Turned out to be a very good job with excellent super etc so hence we have had a good life and are having a good retirement.

I do not know if anyone is like me but I would rather be somewhere I am getting a good income than somewhere I am not.

We are first generation migrants so its always a wrench and caught between two worlds but our children will not be.

Guest Clarebob

Hi Jackie, Not been on here for a long time but as we are hopefully on our way back to Aus ourselves April/May, I came on for some info on shipping but got side tracked. I like you was so glad to be returning to the UK at the end of 2009 BUT I'm now very much looking forward to returning to Aus. I also have a very different attitude about many things now but I'm glad I went, glad I came back to UK and now veru glad to be returning. Best of luck to you.

Guest siamsusie

Dear Jackie,

I am pleased you both have made a joint decision, and you are in the fortunate position of knowing exactly what you are coming to.

Different mindset!

I wish you so much happiness in the future.

love Susie x

Guest guest17301

Move NOR!! Glad you're happy with the decision, what will be will be, no regrets, you're a brave lady....a PIO night out to welcome you may be in order I feel, when do you arrive? xx

Guest jackie Macdonald
Move NOR!! Glad you're happy with the decision, what will be will be, no regrets, you're a brave lady....a PIO night out to welcome you may be in order I feel, when do you arrive? xx

Yay, definitely up for that fiona, look forward to meeting you all at last!

jxx

Guest jackie Macdonald
i was going to suggest a welcome dinner Fi (great minds)

Perhaps I can meet you too Ali, that would be nice (dinner or drinks.. both sound great!)

jxx

Guest sh7t man no way

i read you last post jackie,and this one--it seems a very confusing time in your life--any advice i would give give on your life,would be to make a decision one way or the other,living in oz or the uk:confused:a life time of confusion is a waste of a life time i feel--either go for it or runaway--somtimes life gives you to many options--stick,or bust--i cant advise you either way--but what your going through at this present moment is not good--its time to get tough with yourself:wubclub:

Guest jackie Macdonald
Good luck Jackie, you will be fine I am sure - life is all about taking those opportunities not to be missed and it isnt forever! There will come a time when you can make another choice.

Thanks Quoll,

I shall be needing you from time to time, I am sure! enjoy your visit back home! for your sons wedding!

j xx

Hi Jackie,

Well now the big decision is made have you thought about where you would like to live on your return?

Did you ever see anywhere you thought you could very easily settle when you were here last time?

My advice would be if you did, strive for that particular suburb/street wherever. It may seem a trivial thing but moving a short distance in Perth can make a whole heap of difference to your ultimate lifestyle. Even if the suburb you fancy seems expensive it may well be worth the extra struggle in the long run if it can make you happier to live here.

We live close to the coast and love the position we are in. We have Hillarys about 10 mins away and there are always places to go quite close to home. We have a good social life as we joined the local surf club and have met loads of good friends through that.

I know that kind of lifestyle isn't for everyone, you might fancy a big block in the hills for all I know but in the end strive for what you think will make you happy.

Looks like you already have a welcoming committee.

All the best,

Paul.

Guest jackie Macdonald
Hi Jackie,

Well now the big decision is made have you thought about where you would like to live on your return?

Did you ever see anywhere you thought you could very easily settle when you were here last time?

My advice would be if you did, strive for that particular suburb/street wherever. It may seem a trivial thing but moving a short distance in Perth can make a whole heap of difference to your ultimate lifestyle. Even if the suburb you fancy seems expensive it may well be worth the extra struggle in the long run if it can make you happier to live here.

We live close to the coast and love the position we are in. We have Hillarys about 10 mins away and there are always places to go quite close to home. We have a good social life as we joined the local surf club and have met loads of good friends through that.

I know that kind of lifestyle isn't for everyone, you might fancy a big block in the hills for all I know but in the end strive for what you think will make you happy.

Looks like you already have a welcoming committee.

All the best,

Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the advice, we're not quite sure where we will live but we are going to take our time and have a good look at both Coastal and City areas. A combination of the both would be nice!! It depends where hubby will be stationed. The last place I lived in over there felt like a retirement village, wasn't particularly close to anything other than freeways and I felt very isolated. I didn't have a car or job either which didn't help!

Hopefully we'll find a place that 'clicks' this time,

Thanks again

Jxx