CDR - Competency Demonstration Report

Kimbodia

Hi All

My husband and I have decided that we'd finally like to start the proceedings to applying for a visa. It looks like we're eligible for the 176 state sponsored.

My husband is a mechanical design engineer/draughtsman. It looks as though he is going to have to do the Competency Demonstration Report with Engineers Australia.

We've learnt about the changes to the points system taking place in July 2011, its likely that we'll struggle to get our application accepted after this date. This means that we have a relatively short time to get this application prepared.

I've read on Engineers Australia that the processing time for the CDR is 16 weeks. I've been reading on various forums that people spend months putting their CDR together. Clearly, if we want to get our application in before the points change we don't have very much time available to us.

Can anyone help with answering how long they spent preparing their CDR? We're happy to use a migration agent to help with this aspect (possibly the whole application), is using an agent for this aspect a good help? ie take some of the legwork out of it for us, in terms of putting the CDR together? and more importantly, reduce the time in which it will take us to prepare it? As its a report so personal to the individuals work experience I can’t see right now what a migration agent can do to help with it.

I’m waiting calls back from a couple of agents but thought it worth a mention on here.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guest stonefox

I completed a CDR for Engineering Manager with Engineers Australia. I spent approx 3 to 4 months writing, rewriting, polishing, repolishing before sending. I did not use an agent for any part of my skills or visa application, and to be honest if you can research and understand form filling, I struggle to see what an agent would offer - other than taking all your cash!

Compiling 3 career episodes was the hardest part to compile. You are limited on word count so your episode needs to be simple and to the point - don't waffle make sure you use first tense, i.e I did this and I did that and this was the outcome. When I completed my 3 episodes it read ok, but was not what you would call a novel - no fancy bits just factual information.

Engineers Australia quoted 16 weeks when I submitted my application and it took bang on 16 weeks to get my outcome letter. It was a trawl doing it now, but glad I spent the time making sure it was right as I did not want to go through all that work and wait to find out it was unsuccessful.

Good luck with what ever you you decide to do.

• 10 months later...
Hi All

My husband and I have decided that we'd finally like to start the proceedings to applying for a visa. It looks like we're eligible for the 176 state sponsored.

My husband is a mechanical design engineer/draughtsman. It looks as though he is going to have to do the Competency Demonstration Report with Engineers Australia.

We've learnt about the changes to the points system taking place in July 2011, its likely that we'll struggle to get our application accepted after this date. This means that we have a relatively short time to get this application prepared.

I've read on Engineers Australia that the processing time for the CDR is 16 weeks. I've been reading on various forums that people spend months putting their CDR together. Clearly, if we want to get our application in before the points change we don't have very much time available to us.

Can anyone help with answering how long they spent preparing their CDR? We're happy to use a migration agent to help with this aspect (possibly the whole application), is using an agent for this aspect a good help? ie take some of the legwork out of it for us, in terms of putting the CDR together? and more importantly, reduce the time in which it will take us to prepare it? As its a report so personal to the individuals work experience I can’t see right now what a migration agent can do to help with it.

I’m waiting calls back from a couple of agents but thought it worth a mention on here.

Whats your progress of CDR?

You can PM me if you want help in this regard.

My husband completed a CDR for EA. He is an electrical engineer and he originally applied under the Washington Accord but he was wrongly classified (electronics engineer as his degree was mostly electronics even though it was titled electronics and electrical). He was asked to do the CDR and he spent approximately 2 months writing this. He found the summary statement part the most difficult. For his career episodes he wrote about 3 different projects he has worked on. I think EA are quoting 12 weeks turnaround at the moment but it took less for us. I think they slightly fast tracked it as it was our 2nd application but I sent emails every day to get the generated response back from them and they were moving faster than 12 weeks. I think 8 weeks was more realistic. As stonefox has said above use the words "I did this" etc. and write in plain English so everything is easily understood. If your husband uses particular software or computing packages for calculations, get him to state exactly what he uses.

Hi All

I did my CDR through EA for 312511, did you finally put your application in. From memory i submitted mine late Feb 11 and got a positive result after approx 15 weeks. In the end i didnt need it as i managed to secure an employer sponsorship.

From what you have posted, it seems likely that a Engineers Australia CDR might not be necessary (or well advised) depending on academic qualifications.

May I suggest that you run your case past a registered migration agent for advice about strategy?

Hi All

My husband is a mechanical design engineer/draughtsman. It looks as though he is going to have to do the Competency Demonstration Report with Engineers Australia.As per my information if he has done a four years engineering prog, he can then follow the CDR route via Engineer Au

I've read on Engineers Australia that the processing time for the CDR is 16 weeks. it's put as 12 week on their website...but i have been following the applications currently being assessed and they are way faster than the 12 weeks timeline...I've been reading on various forums that people spend months putting their CDR together If u have time and have actually executed 3 projects, I think you can get with it in 3 weeks. But that depends on you. Clearly, if we want to get our application in before the points change we don't have very much time available to us.

Can anyone help with answering how long they spent preparing their CDR? I did mine in 5-6 weeks and that too along with full workload and some personal responsibilities We're happy to use a migration agent to help with this aspect (possibly the whole application), is using an agent for this aspect a good help? I would recommend you to do it by yourself...an agent might be helpful in guiding u the format of CDR but not in expressing the technical requirements of CDR ie take some of the legwork out of it for us, in terms of putting the CDR together? and more importantly, reduce the time in which it will take us to prepare it? As its a report so personal to the individuals work experience I can’t see right now what a migration agent can do to help with it.

My piece of advice is get to know the format..select three project that u think will convey ur abilities efficiently...write them as per the format outlined by EA (headings, word limits, style i.e. I did not I was part of etc)....and importantly give a look to summary part ahead of writing the career episodes so that u know what do u have to write in career episodes so that writing them in summary will be easy(u won't have to modify the career episodes again n again for summary). PM me ur ID, ill send u examples of approved CDR's.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest adelle82

I am aware that I need to provide the Evidence of employment as per the EA's required format. However, my present employer here in United Arab Emirates is not willing to provide an employment certificate based on the required format since as per company policy they can only provide the company format without the job description.

In this regard, I would like to get a confirmation if a Statutory declaration/ affidavit can be submitted along with other supporting documents will suffice to support my career episode and experience.

I am aware that I need to provide the Evidence of employment as per the EA's required format. However, my present employer here in United Arab Emirates is not willing to provide an employment certificate based on the required format since as per company policy they can only provide the company format without the job description.

In this regard, I would like to get a confirmation if a Statutory declaration/ affidavit can be submitted along with other supporting documents will suffice to support my career episode and experience.

My employer due to company policy would only provide confirmation of my employment dates and current position on letter-headed paper. I did manage to get a senior manager to provide me with a personal reference which I explained to them in my covering letter.

I would suggest calling EA to explain your predicament; I personally phoned several times for advice etc and found them extremely helpful on all occasions.

Guest adelle82
My employer due to company policy would only provide confirmation of my employment dates and current position on letter-headed paper. I did manage to get a senior manager to provide me with a personal reference which I explained to them in my covering letter.

I would suggest calling EA to explain your predicament; I personally phoned several times for advice etc and found them extremely helpful on all occasions.

Thanks for your advice! I will try and get a personal reference from my manager. Should the personal reference contain job description?

Thanks for your advice! I will try and get a personal reference from my manager. Should the personal reference contain job description?

It was a personal reference but did relate to character and work performance etc...I also provided contact details (home and work) for my referee and again as I stated before an accompanying letter explaining why the reference from my line manager was not of letter-headed paper.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have a doubt...

I have more than 8 years of "Total Experience". This include 6 years ( recent) of Industrial experience which come under "Electronics Engineer" plus two years of Teaching experience ( Teaching same Electronics Subjects in an Engineering College).

Now I am planning for skill assessment under "Electronics Engineer".

Can some body here clarify me... how many years of my experience are considered for assigning me points.

(5 years = 10 points........8 years experience = 15 points)

Kindly clear my doubt.

Thanks in advance

savithru.

Hi Savithru, you would need to contact EA directly to check your teaching would count for electronics experience. If it did you would be able to claim 15 points but otherwise only 10 points. If your teaching experience didn't count you would need to watch that you had 12 months out of the last 24 months electronics experience.

Hi jacb

Thank you very much for your immediate reply.

I ll try to mail them directly... hope they ll respond to my query, though I have not made / applied any formal CDR application as of now.

Happy to read that you have been granted VISA... Congrats.

Is it possible to help me with some "Career Episodes" for an "Electronics Engineer" . I ll be very much great full, if you can help me out in this matter.

Thanks & Regards

savithru.

Hi Savithru, my oh is an electrical engineer so his career episodes would be very different. He spent ages on them and followed the guidelines on the EA website making sure he covered everything. He chose 3 projects to describe. Just make sure you use the word "I" instead of "We" when describing things you did and describe everything in detail including reports you have written, meetings you have held and software packages you used. We're very excited about everything!

• 1 month later...
Guest jwhubbert

Hi all

I am 90% through my CDR for engineering Manager, once finished want to ensure it will be accepted first time i have seen examples of Enginnering disciplines but can not seem to find an example for engineering manager. If any one is able to help just with one career episode for reference only as the time EA are taking seems to be 12 weeks at present so do not want to delay in sending or confirming / updating information

thank you in advance

It may help to work backwards from the summary report. For example, check the summary report for elements and think of an example you want to use for that particular element. Write it in the CDR and fill in the rest.

Just a quick question: For Engineering Manager's will be you still be considered an Engineer or as an Engineering Manager for DIAC purposes?

Guest jwhubbert

I am attempting to work with summary report, but for Engineering manager there are only 8 elements which i believe i have covered but you never no. For DIAC it is assesed by EA but sits between Manager and Engineer but classed as distinct role for immigration purposes

I am have to go this route as i have been away from main qulalification trade and more management over the last 10 years.

I am attempting to work with summary report, but for Engineering manager there are only 8 elements which i believe i have covered but you never no. For DIAC it is assesed by EA but sits between Manager and Engineer but classed as distinct role for immigration purposes

I am have to go this route as i have been away from main qulalification trade and more management over the last 10 years.

For the summary report, if possible try to have those elements in each of the career episodes, though not a requirement.

I recently got my outcome(Professional Engineer via CDR) and it took ~45 days, even though the website says 10 to 12 weeks. Don't worry too much about the CDRs, your CV can speak for itself.

The CDR's are just for assessing your educational qualifications and not your work experience.

Do get the skilled employment assessment as well, though it is is not mandatory. DIAC has assigned EngAust for an opinion on work experience for the purpose of gaining points for migration.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone!

I have been working on my CDRs and Summary Statement for quite a long time, like 5 months. It's been hard because I want them to be perfect and I don't want a negative response. In addition I'm Venezuelan and English is not my native language so I have to pay extra attention. My assessment is for Chemical Engineering, Professional Engineer.

Is there someone who would like to share examples of CDRs and SS for Chemical Engineering or other engineering careers? or Would like to have a look at mine?

Please PM.

Tend to disagree to be honest. The CDRs are all about your work experience.

They are used in combination with career episodes to detail your role, responsibilities and contribution as a professional engineer.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 months later...