Perth or Gold Coast?

Guest Dinkytwinkle

Guest Dinkytwinkle

Hi everyone,

I am a mental health OT, and my boyfriend who is a chef are coming over to OZ on a WHV in July '11 - just in time for winter!! :goofy:

We are both in our late 20's and we are planning on working (duh!), surfing, making friends and enjoying some nice weather hopefully! Any ideas on where in Oz it would be best to head to? We are starting off in Darwin but don't plan to stay there to long as there is a lack of surf.

We are thinking maybe Perth or the Gold Coast?

Any suggestions would be great! Thankyou x

Both! lol! It was over 20 years ago when my then OH [a chef] and I [RN] went on a WHV and we travelled to both sides. I loved Fremantle where my eldest son was born, but the gold coast was brilliant too, OH worked in a top hotel there.

Guest Laura G

Hi,

Can't speak for Perth as I have never been there.

I live on the Gold Coast and there are plenty of jobs advertised for Cooks/Chefs & Kitchen Hands every Saturday in the Gold Coast Bulletin.

Surfers Paradise carries that name for a reason. lol

July weather is beautiful on the Gold Coast, highs of 23 degrees and blue skies as it is the dry season. Temps can drop of a night

Guest Yamba Dave

If you are looking for some good surfing spots then check out the Far North coast of New South Wales for places like Angourie (one of only 2 surfing reserves in Australia) and Yamba.

Great surf and great weather!

Hi work in Mental health in Brisbane, would say more job opportunities for an OT

In perth. I am off there next week can let you know. Qld health seem to be trimming

down a bit in health jobs. Good Luck

Perth can be a bit chilly in July and the surf is better on the Gold Coast. The weather would be nicer and the sea warmer on the East Coast at that time of year.

If you are here for a while I would definitely make time to get over to WA and if you surf well, go down South. There is some big surf down there. Yallingup is a gorgeous spot.

Darwin will be great weather at that time of year. It's a relaxing, lively place with lots of backpackers, hostels and bars. Not too big either so easy to find somewhere lively.

Enjoy!

Guest Dinkytwinkle

Thanks for the advice :-) We are surf beginners but it's something we want to improve upon and enjoy! We may stay in Darwin for a while, then head down to Cairns, Gold Coast and then check out Perth when it's a bit warmer maybe! xx

• 1 year later...
Guest lilmizshav
Perth can be a bit chilly in July and the surf is better on the Gold Coast. The weather would be nicer and the sea warmer on the East Coast at that time of year.

If you are here for a while I would definitely make time to get over to WA and if you surf well, go down South. There is some big surf down there. Yallingup is a gorgeous spot.

Darwin will be great weather at that time of year. It's a relaxing, lively place with lots of backpackers, hostels and bars. Not too big either so easy to find somewhere lively.

Enjoy!

Hi I am looking at going to Australia with my husband and 2 children aged 6 and 3.

I am looking mostly at Perth as we have family there and have more of a chance in staying with someone while we get set up over there.

But then when I take a look at Varsity lakes /robina/burleigh in Gold Coast I like it alot more, cause it looks more tropical afordable homes with pools etc.

I am in customer service/insurance, and hubby in Carpentry trade.

Which one do you think is the best to go to , in raising a family, getting more for your money(property wise)and employment?

And does anyone know what types of suburbs in perth would be good, nice and affordable?

Thanks

Lilmizshav

Hi I am looking at going to Australia with my husband and 2 children aged 6 and 3.

I am looking mostly at Perth as we have family there and have more of a chance in staying with someone while we get set up over there.

But then when I take a look at Varsity lakes /robina/burleigh in Gold Coast I like it alot more, cause it looks more tropical afordable homes with pools etc.

I am in customer service/insurance, and hubby in Carpentry trade.

Which one do you think is the best to go to , in raising a family, getting more for your money(property wise)and employment?

And does anyone know what types of suburbs in perth would be good, nice and affordable?

Thanks

Lilmizshav

Do you have a visa yet?

Personally we love Perth and it's been a great place to bring up a family. Having people here would be a big help, I think a lot of people underestimate how much they are on their own when they first arrive. Might make all the difference having someone you know.

I think employment wise you would probably be better in Perth. In my experience we have a lot less rain than the gold coast and surrounds. We've been over on holiday and I like it over there and could easily settle. My favourite places are the Sunshine Coast though. It's a bit "plasticy" around surfers. I don't know too much about the housing prices, maybe a bit cheaper than Perth but then you might struggle to get a job and be on lower pay.

Would need to know more about your budget to say whether suburbs in Perth are affordable. Would you be like to be near the coast, near the City, near the River, in the hills. All selections are available given the right budget. Some spectacular places in Perth in all locations but with spectacular price tags to match.

Affordable decent housing is available with heaps being built in the Northern and Southern coastal corridors. Good luck.

SE QLD has had a wetter than normal few years but those conditions seem to have now ended (La Nina vs El Nino periods), I think I heard Perth is much windier and has more flies?

Depending on what you do work can be hard to find on the Gold Coast, we commute to Brisbane. Lots of people like Perth, but I must confess I didn't when I reccied it, it just seemed like there wasn't much to do beyond the beaches which where nice enough but again I preferred the QLD ones. Surfers Paradise is mostly for young party animals, but its a very small suburb of the Gold Coast sadly many people judge the whole coast by Surfers alone, a bit like thinking all of London is Brixton. There are lots of nice areas on the water with pools, heaps of entertainment options, resorts, theme parks, restaurants etc, the Broadwater, Paradise Point, Broadbeach (Hope Island :cool:) etc. etc. are beutiful glamorous areas to name but a few.

There was a massive property boom on the coast which has now bust, houses can be bought for 60% of what they where 3 years ago, of course they may go down further but you can get a lot for your money.

There will always be people who like one or the other, depends on your personal tastes.

Edited by ozziepom

Guest lilmizshav
Do you have a visa yet?

Personally we love Perth and it's been a great place to bring up a family. Having people here would be a big help, I think a lot of people underestimate how much they are on their own when they first arrive. Might make all the difference having someone you know.

I think employment wise you would probably be better in Perth. In my experience we have a lot less rain than the gold coast and surrounds. We've been over on holiday and I like it over there and could easily settle. My favourite places are the Sunshine Coast though. It's a bit "plasticy" around surfers. I don't know too much about the housing prices, maybe a bit cheaper than Perth but then you might struggle to get a job and be on lower pay.

:xmas6:

Would need to know more about your budget to say whether suburbs in Perth are affordable. Would you be like to be near the coast, near the City, near the River, in the hills. All selections are available given the right budget. Some spectacular places in Perth in all locations but with spectacular price tags to match.

Affordable decent housing is available with heaps being built in the Northern and Southern coastal corridors. Good luck.

We are New Zealand Citizens so no need for a visa.

Any way, I was looking around the 500k mark for houses but thats max. Depending on whether and how good our jobs are and what they are paying we could go higher. We just dont want to be stuck paying a high mortgage and not live the lifestyle!!

We are currently in NZ selling our house and with the proceeds to buy another house in Australia. :rolleyes:

We were looking at Ellenbrook?Its affordable, brand new estate - I know its further out. but we will have transport- Could anyone say whether its safe and nice place to bring up kids.

AND IS THERE ACTUALLY STATE HOUSING ALL THROUGH ELLENBROOK? :daydreaming:

What about Aveley? no state housing there? has any one been there?

To be honest would love to live on the coast, but however prob wont afford it. even the lake would be nice,

Can anyone suggest some affordable and nice suburbs, on the coast? Lake? and near city?

Please let me know ASAP.:laugh:

Merry Xmas :xmas6::xmas4::xmas5::xmas1::xmas25::xmas24::xmas23::xmas20::xmas21:

We are New Zealand Citizens so no need for a visa.

Any way, I was looking around the 500k mark for houses but thats max. Depending on whether and how good our jobs are and what they are paying we could go higher. We just dont want to be stuck paying a high mortgage and not live the lifestyle!!

We are currently in NZ selling our house and with the proceeds to buy another house in Australia. :rolleyes:

We were looking at Ellenbrook?Its affordable, brand new estate - I know its further out. but we will have transport- Could anyone say whether its safe and nice place to bring up kids.

AND IS THERE ACTUALLY STATE HOUSING ALL THROUGH ELLENBROOK? :daydreaming:

What about Aveley? no state housing there? has any one been there?

To be honest would love to live on the coast, but however prob wont afford it. even the lake would be nice,

Can anyone suggest some affordable and nice suburbs, on the coast? Lake? and near city?

Please let me know ASAP.:laugh:

Merry Xmas :xmas6::xmas4::xmas5::xmas1::xmas25::xmas24::xmas23::xmas20::xmas21:

Don't write off being near the Coast with that budget. Depends how far out from the City you go as to the price you will pay for a house close to the coast. Try a look round Butler, Clarkson, Merriwa and along that coastal corridor. New estates and plenty of new houses to choose from so maybe a bit more of a buyers market than the established suburbs.

Ellenbrook is Ok but (this is my opinion only) the public transport links are not good, the roads to and from are busy, it's too far from the coast just to be able to nip down after or before work, it's a lot hotter in summer than any of the coastal suburbs, there will be more flies than any of the coastal suburbs, there isn't much around there to do. Being near the coast, or even a little nearer Joondalup, will give you a bit more to do, with things on your doorstep without having to get the car out all the time.

There will be plenty of people love Ellenbrook and that's fine, there's nothing wrong with it, it's just taken a long time to put in the promised school, shops, roads, public transport links, but it's getting there.

We have friends who have just moved from Northshore, from a beautiful house, to the vines, so being near the coast doesn't suit everyone. You can have a good look around the areas on google maps and street view. There might be something available near Mindarie or Burns Beach. It would be an older property for your price range but they do come up every now and then.

Good luck.

Personally I'd go where the work is first, lifestyle second.

When we came out we thought exactly the opposite. That is what type of lifestyle we wanted when not at work. Couldn't see the point of moving half way round the world to somewhere with a great climate, to not be able to enjoy it 'cos we had focused on where the work was.

We were told by agencies that we shouldn't come to Perth but go to Sydney or Melbourne as that was where the work was at the time. We ignored them as we had our hearts set on Perth as that was what offered us the lifestyle we were looking for.

Whichever way you go though, Perth would fit the bill at the moment.