Guest hornet244

WA State Sponsorship - 2 years' residence rule

Guest hornet244

Apologies if this question has been asked before.

My wife and I were issued 176 State Sponsored visas in August 2009, which we then activated during a short recce in October/November 2009. We were then planning to make the big move last year but, due to a number of factors, had to delay.

We are now trying to plan again (we have until 2014 on the visa), but need advice on the issue of the residence requirement - at the time of the visa being issued we were told we had to remain in WA for at least two years.

Can anyone confirm from which date that calculation is made - date of issue; date of first arrival; a physical count of two years in Oz (ie time back in the UK would not count), etc?

We are still aiming to go to WA but, if the option comes up to at least look elsewhere in Australia without breaching our visa, it would be useful to be able to factor all that in to our thoughts.

Thanks

Some people have said that you don't legally have to stay in the state that was your sponsor - but I don't know if this is true or not - you're probably best getting it from the horses mouth and contact DIAC.

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Bump.

We are in the same situation and if anyone could answer the OP question,it would be very helpful.

Regards

Guest jules30

Hi

We were state sponsored by South Australia when we came out, unless it has changed you have to stay for 2 years in the state that sponsored you. We are now in WA

Hope this helps

Julie

Hi

We were state sponsored by South Australia when we came out, unless it has changed you have to stay for 2 years in the state that sponsored you. We are now in WA

Hope this helps

Julie

Good question I'll be interested in the answer.

Guest sooperlids
Apologies if this question has been asked before.

My wife and I were issued 176 State Sponsored visas in August 2009, which we then activated during a short recce in October/November 2009. We were then planning to make the big move last year but, due to a number of factors, had to delay.

We are now trying to plan again (we have until 2014 on the visa), but need advice on the issue of the residence requirement - at the time of the visa being issued we were told we had to remain in WA for at least two years.

Can anyone confirm from which date that calculation is made - date of issue; date of first arrival; a physical count of two years in Oz (ie time back in the UK would not count), etc?

We are still aiming to go to WA but, if the option comes up to at least look elsewhere in Australia without breaching our visa, it would be useful to be able to factor all that in to our thoughts.

Thanks

It starts from when you arrive permanently in WA. You should reside in the sponsored sate for 2 years. Apparently it's a moral obligation & not legally enforceable. It seems people have moved states within the 2 year period. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing so though. We will be aiming to stay in WA for at least 2 years (hopefully permanently) After all they were good enough to sponsor us & speed up the application process. :cool:

If you ask the question on certain other sites you will be shot down within moments, so be careful who you ask! :biggrin:

Guest DGRoberts

Good afternoon

Just got this off the WA State Sponsorship website, hope it helps.

http://www.dtwd.wa.gov.au/skilledmigration/detcms/navigation/resources/frequently-asked-questions/?oid=Article-id-11086094#q11090887

Am I able to relocate to another state even though I have not resided in WA for two years post visa grant, what is the course of action for the applicant?

A: By accepting state sponsorship you made a commitment to live and work in Western Australia for a period of two years, and signed an agreement with the Government of Western Australia to do so. Applicants who request to relocate to another state will need to apply for release from their signed agreement through Skilled Migration WA.

When I asked my agent the same question, he said that they would probably release you from the obligation if you cannot find a job!

Another question I asked was whether I'm obliged to seek employment in my nominated occupation, to which my agent replied that I was not! Has any one else had experience of this?

TRA Submitted 24/03/11,TRA Successful 18/04/11,WA SA Submitted 19/04/11,WA Approved 20/05/11,176 Visa lodged 20/05/11,Form 1100 to DIAC 22/06/11,CO Assigned 05/07/11,Medicals 19/9/11 Finalized 27/09/11,S.Africa+UK PCC sent to CO 6/10/11,VISA Granted 7/10/11!