What are you looking forward to most ?

Guest chris955

Guest chris955

I love the South Coast to be honest, especially Cornwall and Devon. I've never been to Skegness but have been to some wonderful beaches. I sometimes wish I was more of a beach person, I don't mind having a look but can't just keep going back time and again.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest siamsusie
Just to make it a bit clearer Chris.

A returnee is someone who returns back to their homeland after a long absence. Which I have done on several occasions by the way, each time for reasons OTHER than WANTING to return.

So my opinion is as valid as any other returnees. Just because I have gone back to Australia does not mean that I have NEVER been a returnee, because simply returnee does NOT mean a permanent move.

And I am very serious in my opinion. The thing that I looked forward to the most was returning to Australia, that is not to say that I viewed this country with any degree of negativeness, just a want to return to Australia as soon as the family problems this end had been sorted is all.

:cute:Which makes you a bit of a PingPonger then Lemmings....excellent qualifications to comment on both sides of the coin:biggrin:

Susie x

• 4 weeks later...
Lorne (square) Sausage.............................

Oh, and being able to speak (properly) instead of having to spell out each word v.e.r.y.....s.l.o.w.l.y.....

Wasn't aware that i spoke a foreign language:biglaugh:

Gill

very true and funny:biglaugh:. I even have to say things like "a for apple" because people don't understand my "a".:arghh:

• 2 weeks later...

The sound of wood pidgeons in the summer at about 9.30pm (and still light) when sat in a country pub having a beer with friends.

I never paid attention to them before I left to come here, now for some reason I've concluded that it is the quintisential English sound for me. I miss it.

The replacement here are a load of "parrots" that make the loudest noise right outside my window. The idiots.

Guest guest36762
Lorne (square) Sausage.............................

Oh, and being able to speak (properly) instead of having to spell out each word v.e.r.y.....s.l.o.w.l.y.....

Wasn't aware that i spoke a foreign language:biglaugh:

Gill

sorry, I lost you after 'Lorne', can you repeat it?:chatterbox::wink:

I'm also looking forward to not having to worry about

Huntsman spiders

millipedes (YUK)

Ants everywhere as soon as there is a hint of rain

Mozzies (of course... nothing worse than just dropping off, yet again, in the middle of the night to be awakened by that zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz in your ear.

Brown snakes

Red backs

Giant moths with faces

being too hot and lethargic

only having the one Newspaper for the whole of Adelaide.... soo looking forward to the 3 Scottish Sunday papers, rolls and real bacon.

I'm sure there's more ...

HAHA:biglaugh: seriously just crying over the Moths with faces, we have a couple of spiders with faces here and green ants, you should never have to look an ant in the eye :biggrin:.

Agree with everything here and I would like to add Cocka-bloody-too's, I long for sparrows or starlings, maybe even a cuckoo (though not likely) anything that doesnt sound like its dying a horrible death.

I am incredibly homesick and we are yet to decide if we are going back (mental pingpongers for the last 2 years) but we are heading back for a 6week holiday in 10weeks.

So in relation to what I miss, here is my itinery:

TESCO's; serious shopping; Whipsnade zoo; Oxford; Science and Nat History Museum; Fathers Day on the Steam Trains to satisfy Grandad; Couple of Farm visits; Catching up with girlfriends in London; a weekend in Edinburgh (1st night away since kids born); Butlins in Bognor; a week in Minehead and Exmoor; Stonehenge; a week in Liverpool (North Wales, Chester, Chest zoo etc) and to finish off with we are getting the girls christened in a proper church surrounded by friends and family:cute:

Included in this will be numerous Skips/Quavers/Minstrels/Scotch Eggs/Pork Pies and Jaffa cakes, with maybe a few proper curries and Roasts thrown in for good measure. Im sure Hubby would add football and good old fashioned pints in a proper beer garden.......10 weeks to go:goofy:

Guest puffle01

Thanks for this list. We are in the process of shipping back to the UK after 2 years here. My hubby has a fab job, son is at a great school, but I miss all of those things in your list. My friends are all giving me a hard for wanting to return back to awful weather and the dark UK... Reading this made me realise we're doing the right thing. My young son misses his grandparents and aunties so much... Hopefully my hubby will find a job when we get back, which is our one concern.

Thanks again for the lists!

Thanks for this list. We are in the process of shipping back to the UK after 2 years here. My hubby has a fab job, son is at a great school, but I miss all of those things in your list. My friends are all giving me a hard for wanting to return back to awful weather and the dark UK... Reading this made me realise we're doing the right thing. My young son misses his grandparents and aunties so much... Hopefully my hubby will find a job when we get back, which is our one concern.

My concern too is finding employment, I make good money here but theres more to life than money. I will have to listen to they same"youre mad" comments when I decide to return from both people in Oz and UK. Lifes too short to be unhappy.

Honestly, the cold. lol

I'm seeing the UK from a different perspective now, want to explore/visit so many places such as Norfolk broads, Cornwall, parts of Scotland to name a few. Oh yes, Tesco.....family,friends. Go to family celebrations, anniversaries , birthdays, etc

Hi Puffle, we returned at the end of August last year and we had a few people saying we were mad. I simply ask them if they have ever lived in Oz...when they reply "No" (which is usually the case)..I say "oh I'm sorry, I thought you must know what you are talking about"

Loving the UK and have absolutely no regrets....the move has had a profound effect on both me and my Aussie husband. Good luck to you

Guest Bobby
Hi Puffle, we returned at the end of August last year and we had a few people saying we were mad. I simply ask them if they have ever lived in Oz...when they reply "No" (which is usually the case)..I say "oh I'm sorry, I thought you must know what you are talking about"

Loving the UK and have absolutely no regrets....the move has had a profound effect on both me and my Aussie husband. Good luck to you

I only ever listen to people who have lived and worked in oz as it is a million miles away from just having a holiday there, people just think anywhere is better than the UK but most would be on the first plane back if they emigrated anywhere else in the world, the grass is not always greener.

Honestly, the cold. lol

I'm seeing the UK from a different perspective now, want to explore/visit so many places such as Norfolk broads, Cornwall, parts of Scotland to name a few. Oh yes, Tesco.....family,friends. Go to family celebrations, anniversaries , birthdays, etc

I agree with this.

The things that I thought I would miss (family and friends) are actually playing second to the things that it didn't occur to me that I would miss, but now I seem to crave:

• The specific colour green that drapes the UK countryside. There's nothing like that colour over here, the countryside is more of a burnt yellowy/greeny/brown colour.

• Old cobbled streets

• Buildings where I had to duck to get in, because the medieval folk were really small.

• Areas of stark rugged "nothingness" (dartmoor, lake district etc).

• The distinct change of seasons. Winter is different to Spring, is different to Summer is different to Autumn, and the crazy traditional local festivals that coincide with the turns of the season (cheese rolling in Gloucester in June, burning barrels in Ottery St Mary in November etc etc). I find in Sydney there are only two: Summer and Winter. The transition between the two is very very small.

• Old pubs. It never occurred to me whilst sitting in The Cheshire Cheese pub on Blackfriars in London, that there is nothing quite like these places anywhere in the world. Unfortunately there's nothing even remotely close in Australia

• The early days of spring where it is cloudless sky and there's a real chill in the air.

• The noise of wood pigeons, as per an earlier post. To me, right now, that noise seems to personify UK summers evenings. I even downloaded a sample of one just to have a listen.

• History. Castles. Stately Homes. Old towns and villages.

• The close proximity to other places. I have explored and enjoyed, but have no real interest in Asian cultures, other than as a one off holiday. For me, the roots are firmly set in Europe - which makes quick breaks to places of culture that resonate with me nigh on impossible.

• Not having to put on sun screen, hats and walk in shade just to get to the shops.

• Not Breaking into a heat sweat for 9 months of the year

• I recall there being substantially less whinge fest shoes like Today Tonight, A Current Affair or other similarly xenophobic insular news reporting.

• TV in general: Can you imagine something like "The Farmer Wants A Wife" in the UK. It would be comically bad (more so than here). The Farmer wants some teeth and a thicker Barbour jacket, more like. Having said that, to me, shows like this epitomise the overall sh!tness of Australian free to air TV.

Sure there are plenty of things that I will miss about Australia, but for me, they just cant compare.

I know that when/if I get back there, I will see the place in a completely different light. Living in Australia has made me realise how I would appraoch a new life back in the UK. Last time I lived in London and didn't bother getting a car. This time I will commute to work, live further out, or even work in a smaller town/city, and spend the weekends exploring, taking the car over to the continent and just taking it all in and reconnecting.

Ryan air will be getting a steady commission from me, as there are so many places that I want to go and see and unfortunmately they are all generally in the northern hemisphere. Not geographically viable at the moment.

Maybe I'm mellowing out as I'm not in my 20's anymore and the partying is dying down, but as Robert Plant once said "I can hear it calling me back home".

The sound of wood pidgeons in the summer at about 9.30pm (and still light) when sat in a country pub having a beer with friends.

I never paid attention to them before I left to come here, now for some reason I've concluded that it is the quintisential English sound for me. I miss it.

The replacement here are a load of "parrots" that make the loudest noise right outside my window. The idiots.

Good post exile!:wink:

Guest siamsusie

UK

The Farmer Wants a Wife – how it all began

Country Living online 05.02.2009

As a new series of Farmer Wants a Wife hits our screens in September, here's a behind-the-scenes look at the original articles, and the resulting TV series. By Adrienne Wyper

?module=images&func=display&fileId=61343Back in August 1999 Country Living magazine began a lonely hearts campaign for Britain's farmers. As the original article (right) said: ‘The typical lonely farmer is in his 30s and has suddenly realised that, without help, he has no chance of finding the right person with whom to share his life. He has a small......

farmer wants a wife update :: Country :: All About You

Oh its there in the UK somewhere lurking lol!

UK

The Farmer Wants a Wife – how it all began

Country Living online 05.02.2009

As a new series of Farmer Wants a Wife hits our screens in September, here's a behind-the-scenes look at the original articles, and the resulting TV series. By Adrienne Wyper

?module=images&func=display&fileId=61343Back in August 1999 Country Living magazine began a lonely hearts campaign for Britain's farmers. As the original article (right) said: ‘The typical lonely farmer is in his 30s and has suddenly realised that, without help, he has no chance of finding the right person with whom to share his life. He has a small......

farmer wants a wife update :: Country :: All About You

Oh its there in the UK somewhere lurking lol!

:huh::wideeyed::unsure::wink:

Guest siamsusie
:huh::wideeyed::unsure::wink:

Reality TV Pabs.. isnt that they call it ? Never seen so much rubbish in all my life.

But it must serve a purpose, voyeurism into other people's lives must surely make one feel superior.:laugh:

You have a really naughty look on your face this evening/morning:wideeyed:

Reality TV Pabs.. isnt that they call it ? Never seen so much rubbish in all my life.

But it must serve a purpose, voyeurism into other people's lives must surely make one feel superior.:laugh:

You have a really naughty look on your face this evening/morning:wideeyed:

Just wondered if the highlighted was the reason they were still looking susie?:unsure::wink:,time for an early nite(for me anyway),take it easy susie:wubclub:

Guest guest36762
I agree with this.

The things that I thought I would miss (family and friends) are actually playing second to the things that it didn't occur to me that I would miss, but now I seem to crave:

• The specific colour green that drapes the UK countryside. There's nothing like that colour over here, the countryside is more of a burnt yellowy/greeny/brown colour.

• Old cobbled streets

• Buildings where I had to duck to get in, because the medieval folk were really small.

• Areas of stark rugged "nothingness" (dartmoor, lake district etc).

• The distinct change of seasons. Winter is different to Spring, is different to Summer is different to Autumn, and the crazy traditional local festivals that coincide with the turns of the season (cheese rolling in Gloucester in June, burning barrels in Ottery St Mary in November etc etc). I find in Sydney there are only two: Summer and Winter. The transition between the two is very very small.

• Old pubs. It never occurred to me whilst sitting in The Cheshire Cheese pub on Blackfriars in London, that there is nothing quite like these places anywhere in the world. Unfortunately there's nothing even remotely close in Australia

• The early days of spring where it is cloudless sky and there's a real chill in the air.

• The noise of wood pigeons, as per an earlier post. To me, right now, that noise seems to personify UK summers evenings. I even downloaded a sample of one just to have a listen.

• History. Castles. Stately Homes. Old towns and villages.

• The close proximity to other places. I have explored and enjoyed, but have no real interest in Asian cultures, other than as a one off holiday. For me, the roots are firmly set in Europe - which makes quick breaks to places of culture that resonate with me nigh on impossible.

• Not having to put on sun screen, hats and walk in shade just to get to the shops.

• Not Breaking into a heat sweat for 9 months of the year

• I recall there being substantially less whinge fest shoes like Today Tonight, A Current Affair or other similarly xenophobic insular news reporting.

• TV in general: Can you imagine something like "The Farmer Wants A Wife" in the UK. It would be comically bad (more so than here). The Farmer wants some teeth and a thicker Barbour jacket, more like. Having said that, to me, shows like this epitomise the overall sh!tness of Australian free to air TV.

Sure there are plenty of things that I will miss about Australia, but for me, they just cant compare.

I know that when/if I get back there, I will see the place in a completely different light. Living in Australia has made me realise how I would appraoch a new life back in the UK. Last time I lived in London and didn't bother getting a car. This time I will commute to work, live further out, or even work in a smaller town/city, and spend the weekends exploring, taking the car over to the continent and just taking it all in and reconnecting.

Ryan air will be getting a steady commission from me, as there are so many places that I want to go and see and unfortunmately they are all generally in the northern hemisphere. Not geographically viable at the moment.

Maybe I'm mellowing out as I'm not in my 20's anymore and the partying is dying down, but as Robert Plant once said "I can hear it calling me back home".

nice post mate:notworthy:

I highlighted the bits that resonated with me

I love the sound of wood pigeons, but for me the quintissential sound of home is that of an owl hooting on a summer's night when you've got the windows open (something you'd never do here)

Guest siamsusie

I am amazed that you dont have wood pigeons and owls in Victoria... and why cant you open your windows in the summer there?

Of course I am not disputing this, but seeing you are but an hours flying time from us, I would have thought you shared some of our delights:biggrin:

Guest guest36762
I am amazed that you dont have wood pigeons and owls in Victoria... and why cant you open your windows in the summer there?

Of course I am not disputing this, but seeing you are but an hours flying time from us, I would have thought you shared some of our delights:biggrin:

I'm not sure, but I've never heard an owl in Geelong (apart from Giggle and Hoot on ABC for kids on 2). I do hear pigeons occasionally, and starlings and sparrows and very occasionally skylarks and blackbirds (the last 2 really remind me of home).

Don't get me wrong, I like hearing the chortle of magpies (for me the quintissential sound of Australia)and the screetch of cockatoos but NOT the squawk of wattlebirds.

As for the opening of windows, its fine if you have flyscreens over the bedroom windows, and if your bedroom is upstairs (which, living in bungalow, is a bit difficult:wink:)