Where can I get a decent Indian curry?

Guest Drea

Very strange request this but, here goes... have been in Oz for a few weeks now and am missing my Friday night Indian curry. Can't believe that there are no Indian restaurants around! We have just moved in to Sanctuary Lakes (Point Cook) so does anyone know of any good take aways? I don't want pizza/fish and chips/chinese... there are plenty of those around.

Failing that, what about a good Thai take away? We have 2 small children so a take away on a Friday is our treat as getting out to eat is limited to places that have play areas (and I refuse to go to McDonalds or the Red Rooster AGAIN!)

Hoping to get a reply before Friday.....

Drea and the Miles boys

Guest Michele
Hiya Drea,

I know you're a little out of town for this one but when we were in Melbourne we went to Bombay by Night. My rellies eat there regularly and it really is a great Indian restaurant.

www.bombaybynight.com

355 North Rd, Caulfield Sth.

This is the only one I can recommend for a good feast!

Felicity:wub:

Hi Drea,

I have added this Indian restaurant to my recommendations list along with another Indian called Bhoj. Both of them have been recommended by the The Age Good Food Guide. Thanks Felicity for the info, I'm already looking forward to eating there!

You can find the "Your Recommendations" list at Victoria StartPage

Happy Eating!

Thanks for that. We'll make the effort and get over there for a special occasion.

I did find out that there's an Indian restaurant in Werribee on Watton Street. Does anyone know if it's any good?

Drea

Guest BullcreekBob
Thanks for that. We'll make the effort and get over there for a special occasion.

I did find out that there's an Indian restaurant in Werribee on Watton Street. Does anyone know if it's any good?

Drea

G'day

If it's the Star you're talking about - it's a very, good restaurant. If you can, phone a day ahead and book the goat curry. Absolutely superb.

Guest Nathan & Mandie

Hi

We use the Indian Roast which is opposite the Werribee Plaza. We have had some nice take outs from there. Still not as hot as the indian meals back home, but I think you can specify for 'authentic' and then it will be.

Enjoy

Mandie

Guest DALE&JO
Very strange request this but, here goes... have been in Oz for a few weeks now and am missing my Friday night Indian curry. Can't believe that there are no Indian restaurants around! We have just moved in to Sanctuary Lakes (Point Cook) so does anyone know of any good take aways? I don't want pizza/fish and chips/chinese... there are plenty of those around.

Failing that, what about a good Thai take away? We have 2 small children so a take away on a Friday is our treat as getting out to eat is limited to places that have play areas (and I refuse to go to McDonalds or the Red Rooster AGAIN!)

Hoping to get a reply before Friday.....

Drea and the Miles boys

I`m in Adelaide and anyone here the Bolti House on goodwood rd is absoluely fab!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Nathan and Mandie... I will difinitely give it a try as Werribee Plaza is very local so good for popping out to get a take-out on a Friday night!

thanks again,

Drea

• 1 year later...

Hi, I live in your area and have good news for you !

Having lived in your area for 2 years, we have done all the research for you !

I've been in oz for 8 yrs and never found a chicken korma that is anything like the ones we had at home but last night was the break though !

We tried The Crown of India in werribee, 102-104 Watton st (which is the main shopping street there)

For the first time ever, the korma was the same, friends with us from the UK had various dishes and everyone loved them, plus it is 20% off for pick up :cute:.

Tel : 9731 0177 or 9731 0122. They also do a buffet on Sunday lunch times.

An Indian is also opening up at the shops in Seabrook soon, so that'll be interesting to see what that one is like and one is opening up at Point Cook town centre soon too.

There is also a pretty good Indian at the shops at westona train station (Altona).

A great local Thai is at the end of Point Cook Rd, in the shops there at Aircraft station (Laverton). It is fresh, tasty and good value.

It is called Nara thai or Narathai,

It's at 2/6 Neville Avenue. They deliver, or you can eat in too and are great.

Tel : 9369 8799

(most people in this area seem to prefer this thai to the other one in laverton)

So fear not, Friday nights may change for you real soon !

Kind Regards,

Belinda

Guest The Pom Queen
I've been in oz for 8 yrs and never found a chicken korma that is anything like the ones we had at home but last night was the break though !

We tried The Crown of India in werribee, 102-104 Watton st (which is the main shopping street there)

For the first time ever, the korma was the same, friends with us from the UK had various dishes and everyone loved them, plus it is 20% off for pick up :cute:.

Belinda

Hey Belinda

A proper Korma sounds great, may just have to venture over to the West just for this. Thank you:wubclub:

Guest trooper

If you're perpared to make curries yourself that taste exactly like british curry restaurants and takeaways then check out Indian Restaurant / Takeaway Curry Recipes

I've been making kormas, dansaks and bhunas from here over the last 6 months and they are fantastic

Once you've made the base sauces/mixes and frozen them then actually making the curries themselves only takes a matter of minutes

cheers

mick

For the Peninsula I like Tulsi as it has been around for years and years used to be called Sidhartha in Frankston. They also have a winery Wildcroft Estate and they do lunches there. There is one at Baxter at the bottom of the Frankston Flinders Road Hill and my daughter has been there and said its ok.

A new one has opened in Hastings opposite the foreshore and we have been there and the food was great, the ambiance was great and the service was poor so hope they work on that one. Its a modern new large restaurant and we went on a Tuesday night and it was packed.

For anyone who wants spices Hindustani Imports is the place in Greens Road Dandenong and they do have a web site too.

Guest SoniaInOz

I believe there is a new indian restaurant opening RIGHT in the middle of the Point Cook town centre area.

I've tried both the indian cafes in Werribe, there's the guru and the crown and both are really nice!

Guest earlswood

Mate....belive me as a curryholic.......you will not get a decent Curry in Australia, I have heard from members on here that the curries are rubbish all over oz....why when there are so many asians living in Oz is beyond me....I travelled India for a month a few years ago and tried the real curries of thet Country and the same peoepl are living in Oz:unsure:why can't they cook one like they do at home or in the UK.?

I have heard they cater for the Australian taste that does not like spicey food as much as europeans do...that is probably the answer.

Guest The Pom Queen
If you're perpared to make curries yourself that taste exactly like british curry restaurants and takeaways then check out Indian Restaurant / Takeaway Curry Recipes

I've been making kormas, dansaks and bhunas from here over the last 6 months and they are fantastic

Once you've made the base sauces/mixes and frozen them then actually making the curries themselves only takes a matter of minutes

cheers

mick

Hi Mick

So we are all coming round to your house to get our curry fix then are we:idea:

LOL

Kate

Guest Wallace

Its not just the western suburbs that lack indian food... we live 20 mins out of the city and there are a few places dotted around but not that established over here which is a real shame as I am sure the food would be popular.

Totally agree with Earls.... you will not get a decent curry here. I gave up after several dozen failed attempts.

Every post I've seen of yours you are whinging about one thing or another - and you wonder why you're referred to as 'whinging Poms'?

Back to the curry / Thai question, probably a bit out of the way but for anyone in the outer eastern suburbs - Hot Gossip on Boronia Rd in Boronia is fantastic, and for Thai Thai tables on Mountain Hwy in Bayswater has people coming from all around Melbourne coz it's so good!

:notworthy:

smc01 - there's a difference between whingeing and giving an opinion. I have actually given up looking for a decent curry house, having come to the conclusion that they don't exist (as per the op's similar dilema).

Bear in mind that people are going to base the rest of their lives on what people post to this forum. It's only fair that they have the whole truth!

Buckbuchanan - apologies but had just been looking through numerous threads in the Melbourne forum and saw about 4 or 5 in a row of you whinging about how terrible Melbourne was and how you were let down that Australia didn't have this or that and as a very proud Melburnian (and especially when you said that the hole that is Sydney was better) it got my back up!

Again apologies, you are right, everyone is entitled to their opinion but you are probably taking it a bit too far when saying that people are basing their whole lives on what's written in a thread on where to get a good curry!! :laugh:

as a very proud Melburnian

You can't be that proud.... you live in surrey :twitcy:...

No apology required! I'm sure I look like a whinger - that's not what I aim to be. I just think sometimes lots of people on here paint too rosy a picture and I like to throw in a good reality check. I make sure to restrict my whingeing to this site...

Archived