Converting to Permanent Residency

mj&db

My job is obviously listed on 457 occupation list but it is not on SOL so I assume I wont be able be sponsored for PR (856)? My husbands trade (Carpenter) however is so could he get sponsored for PR (856) even though he is the secondary visa holder on my 457?

From what I can gather General Skilled Migration is other route but as we will be in Australia i think we could only apply for a Skilled – Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887) and we wont have lived in a specified low population growth metropolitan area.....

Not in a mad rush as only just starting 457 term but just want to look at our options if we decide we want to stay permanently.

My job is obviously listed on 457 occupation list but it is not on SOL so I assume I wont be able be sponsored for PR (856)? My husbands trade (Carpenter) however is so could he get sponsored for PR (856) even though he is the secondary visa holder on my 457?

From what I can gather General Skilled Migration is other route but as we will be in Australia i think we could only apply for a Skilled – Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887) and we wont have lived in a specified low population growth metropolitan area.....

Not in a mad rush as only just starting 457 term but just want to look at our options if we decide we want to stay permanently.

The SOL is irrelevant to subclass 856 ENS visas. Your occupation needs to be on the ENSOL which is a completely different list to the SOL.

Guest churchj1

Also you have to be aware that most occupations are not eligible for onshore PR visa applications. We have had to apply for a 176 offshore visa from a 457 as general medical practitioners are not eligible to remain onshore!! You can of course also apply for a 175 but my OH was too old for that visa!

You will also not be eligible for a bridging visa if you apply for an offshore visa should your 457 visa expire during the waiting time for your PR visa to be granted, so the sooner you decide to apply the better it will be for you.

The SOL is irrelevant to subclass 856 ENS visas. Your occupation needs to be on the ENSOL which is a completely different list to the SOL.

Aaaaaah ok! Too many lists! I am on the ENSOL so I could be sponsored for PR then!?

Now if, worst case scenario, things weren't working out with my job (recruitment can be a bit hire and fire sometimes unfortunately), could my husband get sponsored on a new 457 as the main visa holder? Even if I was still employed via mine? Or even an 856 by a company (if he meets rest of criteria...which he would as has 8+ yrs exp in his trade & skills assessed) even though he is currently only secondary visa holder on a 457?

Hopefully none of this will happen as I like to think I am good at my job but just want to make sure I have thought of everything!

Also who actually pays the fees for an 856....it's not very clear on immi website. I presume the 2nd instalment figures wouldn't be charged for us as we are both fluent in English so would just incur the following?

Nomination (ENS only) - $455

+

1st instalment (If you are in Australia when the visa is granted) - $2575

Aaaaaah ok! Too many lists! I am on the ENSOL so I could be sponsored for PR then!?

Yes, if you meet all other criteria.

Now if, worst case scenario, things weren't working out with my job (recruitment can be a bit hire and fire sometimes unfortunately), could my husband get sponsored on a new 457 as the main visa holder? Even if I was still employed via mine?

Yes and Yes, as long as he meets the primary criteria for a 457.

Or even an 856 by a company (if he meets rest of criteria...which he would) even though he is currently only secondary visa holder on a 457?

Yes, the secondary applicant on a 457 can potentially become the primary applicant for an 856.

Also you have to be aware that most occupations are not eligible for onshore PR visa applications. We have had to apply for a 176 offshore visa from a 457 as general medical practitioners are not eligible to remain onshore!! You can of course also apply for a 175 but my OH was too old for that visa!

You will also not be eligible for a bridging visa if you apply for an offshore visa should your 457 visa expire during the waiting time for your PR visa to be granted, so the sooner you decide to apply the better it will be for you.

So what your saying is we could apply for one of the those visas whilst in the country, go on holiday while it is granted then come back and get a new visa?

I don't think we have enough points for 175 unfortunately....will check though as not looked in a while. We did for 176 but only state sponsoring Carpenters last time we looked were WA and don't really fancy there. Will keep checking though!

Thank you so much.

Yeah as I thought we are currently 5 points below what is needed for a 175.....but if we could pass an IELTS Test we'd have enough (I will add at this point the way I write on here is not a true representation of my English skills!! lol) If we didn't pass that the other option is to wait until MJ has 1-years work experience in Australia. Either way best starting looking in to it ASAP as Immi website states that 175, 176 and even 856 applications lodged on or after 1 July 2010 are taking 18 to 24 months from date of lodgement to be completed.

Also, just trying to organise a skills assessment for hubby so he can apply for a Contractor Licence...he has previously passed VETASSESS theory so if we were to go down 175 route he'd need to complete this...does anyone know if VETASSESS test people for offshore visas in Australia?

You are dreaming there are many more occupations on the ENSOL than SOL, if you are going for an ENS 856 (which is onshore and is No.1 priority) you get a bridging visa.