THORPES

Nearly 10 weeks here.

Hi

I thought I would give our experience of moving to Aus as I liked reading them in the UK.

Some of you may know that we originally came over in Jan 09 but didnt last long as hubby hated it. I liked it but also missed UK. We stayed at Ashmore Palms on the Gold Coast and had nothing but praise for them.

In August 09 OH came back and stayed again at Ashmore Palms. He stayed 9 weeks on his own but couldnt get work so he came back to UK.

Well we saved like mad and finally all made the move.

We flew from Heathrow with Singapore Airlines on 27th November. The flight was great and Singapore Airlines are really good.

We arrived in Brisbane and hired car from East Coast car rentals. We bought a car on the 3rd day here. We have a 2001 Holden Commodore with 160k's. It was advertised for $5200 but we paid $4500.

We had booked in Ashmore Palms again as we knew were everything was and OH had made some Aussie mates who lived on the site. We were put in the same cabin that hubby stayed in on his own. I met his mates and they were great. We had christmas and new year with them.

We stayed at Ashmore Palms for 8 weeks and our opinion of the place changed. The cabin was dreadfull. Full of damp from the rain and it stank. The sofa was smelly, blankets smelly, fridge leaked and had mould on top and 2 ring hob only 1 hob worked and that was if you didnt have the oven on at the same time. The internet booth was really slow and I couldnt load most sites like realestate, career one or centrelink. At $2 for 15 mins it was not worth it. We ended up at the library most days on there internet.

Our boys played on the park and had friends on there. One worker there was a complete dragon. She treated the permanant kids terrible, always shouting at them. My youngest was scared of her.

We didnt complain becuase the rent was cheap and we were on a very tight budget and also we didnt want to move cabins because we liked our neighbours.

When we moved out they argued about giving our bond back because the hob was dirty. Yes it was but it was ground in dirt from before we arrived.

We scrubbed it the best we could and got the bond back.

When we moved out OH got a call to advise us a letter had come for us. After work he went to Ashmore Palms to collect it and was told they charge $10 per letter to hand it over. A complete joke. Luckily the staff member let him off this time. It was our letter which had been posted from the UK when we were still guests there. We had only moved out 2 days before.:realmad:

OH got a job the week before christmas. It is 5 mins from Ashmore.

We started looking at houses on Pacific Pines and Benowa. Benowa was too expensive and the locals put us off Pacific Pines (even people who live there)

We visited the Sunshine Coast a few times and every time we went we loved it. Such a different feel from the Gold Coast. I loved it before but with people saying lack of jobs it put us off.

Well not this time. We decided we had to live were we thought we could be happy and offer the life we want and the Sunny Coast seems to be that.

So we have rented a 3 bed, 2 bath, with pool on the waterfront in Mooloolaba. It was a private rent advertised in the local paper. We pay $430 per week and people say we have got a bargain.

Our boys have started school. Eldest in year 10 at Mountain Creek high and youngest in year 4 at Mountain Creek state. So far both of them love school and other kids have been really friendly.

OH commuted to Gold Coast every day and sets off at 4am and doesnt get back until 5pm. He is tired but he starts a new job 20 mins from us in Kunda Park on Monday. He has also been offered another job in Caloundra but at the moment they can only offer 3 days a week.

I have applied for 2 jobs so waiting to hear.

We didnt come over with alot of money but we have found the prices to be reasonable. White goods, TV, Sofa, cheap enough, Mattesses are expensive and loads to choose from. Also socks and underwear really expensive and poor quality. Food ok (we shop at BI LO) Fruit and veg expensive but that might be because of floods.

So far we think we have made the right decision. We are just taking each day as it comes.

Jill

Warren (37) Jill (35) Liam (16) Jack (11)

VISA175 MODL GRANTED 26/08/08.

Guest Guest31881

What a nice honest post, Thank you.

Thanks for your news. Glad the kids are enjoying school and hope the new job goes well!

Best Newcomer 2013-14.

Guest BrightonBoys

An honest post, thank you!

See you there soon!

For anyone recently moved to Queensland I reckon things can only get better. I know what you mean about the sunshine coast, it's great isn't it.

I found South of surfers nice too. Stayed a couple of weeks in Burleigh Heads and had a great time. Try the local surf clubs on Friday nights and weekends for a good feed and a few beers. Usually great value and good company.

Enjoy.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Great post, i have to say you seem really determined to make it work, its clear why it doesn't work for some, but sticking with it and getting through the hard times, will make you appreciate things even more. Best of luck and post some more, it makes really interesting reading.

Keep going. You have made a great start.

XXX

Annette, Steve, Ben and Buddy the dog.

<>< :wubclub:

Hi

I thought I would give our experience of moving to Aus as I liked reading them in the UK.

Some of you may know that we originally came over in Jan 09 but didnt last long as hubby hated it. I liked it but also missed UK. We stayed at Ashmore Palms on the Gold Coast and had nothing but praise for them.

In August 09 OH came back and stayed again at Ashmore Palms. He stayed 9 weeks on his own but couldnt get work so he came back to UK.

Well we saved like mad and finally all made the move.

We flew from Heathrow with Singapore Airlines on 27th November. The flight was great and Singapore Airlines are really good.

We arrived in Brisbane and hired car from East Coast car rentals. We bought a car on the 3rd day here. We have a 2001 Holden Commodore with 160k's. It was advertised for $5200 but we paid $4500.

We had booked in Ashmore Palms again as we knew were everything was and OH had made some Aussie mates who lived on the site. We were put in the same cabin that hubby stayed in on his own. I met his mates and they were great. We had christmas and new year with them.

We stayed at Ashmore Palms for 8 weeks and our opinion of the place changed. The cabin was dreadfull. Full of damp from the rain and it stank. The sofa was smelly, blankets smelly, fridge leaked and had mould on top and 2 ring hob only 1 hob worked and that was if you didnt have the oven on at the same time. The internet booth was really slow and I couldnt load most sites like realestate, career one or centrelink. At $2 for 15 mins it was not worth it. We ended up at the library most days on there internet.

Our boys played on the park and had friends on there. One worker there was a complete dragon. She treated the permanant kids terrible, always shouting at them. My youngest was scared of her.

We didnt complain becuase the rent was cheap and we were on a very tight budget and also we didnt want to move cabins because we liked our neighbours.

When we moved out they argued about giving our bond back because the hob was dirty. Yes it was but it was ground in dirt from before we arrived.

We scrubbed it the best we could and got the bond back.

When we moved out OH got a call to advise us a letter had come for us. After work he went to Ashmore Palms to collect it and was told they charge $10 per letter to hand it over. A complete joke. Luckily the staff member let him off this time. It was our letter which had been posted from the UK when we were still guests there. We had only moved out 2 days before.:realmad:

OH got a job the week before christmas. It is 5 mins from Ashmore.

We started looking at houses on Pacific Pines and Benowa. Benowa was too expensive and the locals put us off Pacific Pines (even people who live there)

We visited the Sunshine Coast a few times and every time we went we loved it. Such a different feel from the Gold Coast. I loved it before but with people saying lack of jobs it put us off.

Well not this time. We decided we had to live were we thought we could be happy and offer the life we want and the Sunny Coast seems to be that.

So we have rented a 3 bed, 2 bath, with pool on the waterfront in Mooloolaba. It was a private rent advertised in the local paper. We pay $430 per week and people say we have got a bargain.

Our boys have started school. Eldest in year 10 at Mountain Creek high and youngest in year 4 at Mountain Creek state. So far both of them love school and other kids have been really friendly.

OH commuted to Gold Coast every day and sets off at 4am and doesnt get back until 5pm. He is tired but he starts a new job 20 mins from us in Kunda Park on Monday. He has also been offered another job in Caloundra but at the moment they can only offer 3 days a week.

I have applied for 2 jobs so waiting to hear.

We didnt come over with alot of money but we have found the prices to be reasonable. White goods, TV, Sofa, cheap enough, Mattesses are expensive and loads to choose from. Also socks and underwear really expensive and poor quality. Food ok (we shop at BI LO) Fruit and veg expensive but that might be because of floods.

So far we think we have made the right decision. We are just taking each day as it comes.

Jill

Hi Jill

Brilliant post, hubby and i are flying on Tuesday, 8 Feb so was a really interesting read. We did all our research on the gold coast, then when we validated our visas, spent a day on the Sunny Coast and fell in love with it so decided we would move there instead!!

If you dont mind me asking, what does your hubby do...? My OH is a Carpenter and there doesnt seem to be many jobs advertised locally, wots the work situation like on the ground..?

Juls x x

Fly to Brisbane 8 February 2011 - WOOP WOOP!! :wubclub:

Hi Jul's

My OH is a spray painter for furniture. The jobs he has been offered have not been advertised.

When we were in the UK, we looked on Seek.com and Careerone. If there was a job advertised, OH rang or sent his CV. He also looked online at yellow pages and sent CV's to any company that had an email address. Most didnt want to know but from speaking to people on the phone, he made a few contacts. They said they couldnt offer him a job while in the UK but when he arrived to contact them. He had a bit of banter with them about poms, weather cricket etc...

When he arrived, he called in at the companies and thats how he got the offers. With the new job he has just got, he just telephoned them out of the yellow pages asking if there was anything and luckily the sprayer had just left and he had interview and got it.

Good luck and have a safe flight.

Jill

xx

Warren (37) Jill (35) Liam (16) Jack (11)

VISA175 MODL GRANTED 26/08/08.