Undecided

Guest Doozclump

Guest Doozclump

Hello there everybody,

we are a family of 4 from Scotland and are taking the tentative steps looking into returning to Oz. We were there 7 years ago when I was sponsored by a company for work. To cut a long story short, a 4 year old and 7 month old daughter are hard enough when you have your support system around but to be in a new country so far away proved just too much. Add to that the slight bending of the truth the company I worked for regarding my wages, conditions, and the cost of living etc, we made the decision to come home before we lost all the equity from our house sale and the ability to get on the property ladder again.

We were very fortunate that myself and my wife got work straight away when we returned to Scotland, in fact my wife managed to get back to her employment without any problems and I managed to find employment quickly. We then had a very long and hard time working and bringing up our children and trying to get back to where we were before we left. To be honest I think it took us almost 3 years to get there. And we thought we were happy with our decision to return to Scotland until fairly recently, This now is the dilemma.

We remember the long very hot sticky nights, I remember working in as what I can only describe as what felt like a huge hairdryer, the hard ship because the drop in wages and the difficulty with very young children and the missing of what I can only say familiarity, not really just the friends and relatives but the just knowing where and what to do. So no rose tinted glasses here.

I also remember the good aspects, the weather, the beach, the lovely water, the people in general were very nice, the outdoor life, the more family oriented life style.

It has come to a point that we are starting to feel unsettled with the way things are happening in Scotland. The gang crime, stabbings and more and more shootings, no place for children to be children without the fear they will be bullied or picked on. Although we do live in a nice area and only touch on these things in the news just now, but they are becoming closer to home more and more. So like so many people in the UK at this time of year or thoughts turn to Australia again. Financially we are stable, I work in the oil and gas industry and still have my TRA as a metal machinist first class and my wife is paramedic with 15 years experience and about 12 months away from completing her BSC degree in Professional Practice Para medicine. Our children are now 11 and 7 and to be honest I think we have about a 2-3 year window before it becomes unfair on our children to move again.

Any help with aspects to where in WA would be a good starting point for looking for employment for myself and my wife. We have friends in the Perth area so I think that would help with the settling in period for us.

Just a few quick questions, how long to applying until you receive your visa, what visa would give you more flexibility regarding working and what areas of WA have engineering, gas and oil, mining etc

We both work hard an have a good standard of living but want more for ouselfs and family.

Please respond to any of the points if at all possible

Thank you and it was Brisbane we were in originally

Cheers :confused:

Guest guest33730

Great Post and Welcome to PIO,

Hopefully someone will be along to answer your questions shortly. We have recently made the move from Paisley to Adelaide and although it was not the reason we moved I must admit it is nice to feel 'safe' when walking around etc - in saying that we could have moved to many areas in Scotland and had the same feeling as Paisley is renowned for being a bit of a crime hotspot!!

Daniel