Is this a pipe dream? Freelance web designer / developer looking for help.

Guest Mussy

Hi

Like many, we're considering the big move. We're still in the very early days of discussions, but each time we end up at the same conclusion: - "Why not?".

Would really appreciate any advice on the following, as it may put an end to the dream, meaning we can get on with our lives here, or it may give us more incentive to actually do something about it.

First up, my wife and I are both approaching 43/44, so I believe the pressure's on (if the cut-off age is 45).

I currently run my own web design / development business. I'm a sole trader, and do a mix of work for my own clients, as well as some work for other agencies. I make a decent living out of this.

Question 1: would it be feasible for me to emigrate and keep the business running, maintaining my UK client base, while hopefully gaining new clients in Australia. And if so, what would be the tax implications?

Question 2: if moving the business wasn't an option, I'm an experienced web developer / designer / programmer, and my wife's a secondary school teacher. Would we need jobs before arriving, or could we get in based on the desirability of our skills?

I've been working for myself for 5 years now, and I don't relish the thought of going back to the 9-5, (even if it was in a warmer climate and we had a bigger house!) so ideally I'd like to just keep doing what I'm doing. I've tried googling for similar situations but haven't managed to find any.

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice!

All you need to know about visas is here Department of Immigration & Citizenship

You could get sponsored visa if you can find an employer willing to sponsor one of you or you could go independent. All the info is on the Gov web site.

If and when you get a visa you can run your business in Australia. If resident you will be liable for tax there. Australian Taxation Office Homepage

Hi Shel, Thanks for the advice.

According to the Visa wizard I'm eligble for a skilled worker visa. Will look into the tax/business issues a bit more before deciding.

Archived