You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest cheongml

Psychology?Teaching in Early childhood or Primary?

Guest cheongml

Hi everyone,

Please help.. I need some advise here..

I intend to live in Australia.. Not sure if I should do psychology? master of teaching in early childhood or primary?

Please give some advice. very much appreciated

Thank you,

Lin

Do whatever interests you most and want to have a career in. The rules on immigration could and probably will change several times before you qualify and one or all of those subjects may or may not let you in by then.

05/09/09 Mailed my 309/100 app 17/09/09 CO 05/10/09 Meds 08/10/09 PCC 09/10/09 Xray, 18/12/09 Extra Medical report recieved by CO 14/01/10 Hep B test, 09/02/10 New CO aggh 18/02/10 309, Baby visa needed now for our move in Sept 2011

Psychologists arent in great demand in Australia and in order to practice as a psychologist you need to have at least (at the moment) an honours degree and more likely a masters. If you already have a psych first degree and are just looking at Masters then I suggest Educational Psychology will usually be a good option, Ed Psychs (or Guidance Officers or School Counsellors) can usually find a job.

Primary teachers arent in demand at the moment either and it is extremely difficult to get a job in a place that you would probably wanting to be living the Australian dream (everyone else wants to live there too and there just arent permanent positions). Many states give you a hardship posting first to build up your credit points for when you do want to apply for a plum position. You may not want to be living out in the mulga more than 1000k from anything even vaguely resembling a beach.

I agee with shel though, do what you want to spend your life doing, not just because an occupation happens to be on someone's in demand list!

Guest cheongml

I've interest in all those occupations that I've mentioned. I've done a 3 year Psychological Science course. In order to be a psychologist, I need to do another 1.5 years of Graduate Diploma in Psychology.

Whereas it's 2 years to complete Masters of Teaching in early childhood.