Guest magoos

TRA=VETASSESS vs VICTORIA UNIVERSITY, State Sponsorship 'Carpentry' 176 Visa

Guest magoos

Hi

First of all I'd like to say this is my 2nd post in the last 24hrs and I've found out more information reading all of the threads on here than I have in the last 11 years since returning from Oz from a working holiday Visa - this site is GREAT so thanks to you guys and girls for all your good advice given on here!

Right, here it goes...

Me, hubby and 2yr old daughter want to apply for a SS Visa 176 under my husbands trade as a 'Carpenter'. Below are some things I can't quite get my head around?

- to apply for SS do you already have to taken the skills test?

- for a Carpenter it says TRA and use VETASSESS or VICTORIA UNIVERSITY - what one is it best to go with?

- Is it correct that if you go with VICTORIA UNIVERSITY there's no actual physical skills test, just a Paper-Based assessment and then a Technical Interview which if I understand correct is conducted using SKYPE?

- If we go with VICTORIA UNIVERSITY - how long will this take to arrange as we're concerned about the new points system coming into play July 11. Will we have enough time to get everthing sorted - as there's so much to do

- If we go with VETASSESS - I can see tests in Feb but no other dates available on their website. How often are the skills tests and do this alwasy have to be done? Again, worried we're going to run out of time re new points system that comes in July 11.

Minds gone blank! I'll ask more questions when they come to my head!

Thanks for your input everyone!

Cheers

:chatterbox:

Guest sara220184

Hi

I love this site too! Its really good for finding out bits of information that you cant seem to get answered anywhere else!

My hubby and I are in a similar situation to you. We are wanting to get a skilled visa for my husband who is an electrician but in order for him to get his SS he needs to do his skills assessment first. I have heard Victoria Uni is the best was as you can use Skype and you get the results alot quicker (7 weeks Im told). However, no one has used it yet as far as I know and so I dont know what to do. Vetassess have not given out a date for their next visit to the UK and so everyone is at a stand still for now I think.

Its so frustrating.

We are also aware of the changes that are to come on the 1st Jult but I am under the impression that we cant start our visa application until Graham completes his skills assessment. :wacko:

Please .... if anyone knows more about the Victoria University please help .....

Sara :notworthy:

Guest jaime

My husband is a diesel mechanic. After chatting to some agents, we were told that we could use either Victoria University or VETASSESS, it depended on whether we preferred to have the assessment face to face (vetasess) or through Skype (Vic Uni). However, we were later advised that VETASSESS have no more forthcoming dates for practicals, so to ensure we get the assessment done in time, we should use Victoria University. As far as I recall, all the details were on the website including application form and it states that things will be completed within seven weeks. You definitely have to obtain a positive skills assessment before applying for state sponsorship. Jaime.

Guest sara220184

I dont suppose you know the wesbite for the Victoria Uni do you? Been looking but not sure how to get to the correct webpage for the skills assessments UK?

We are going through a migration agent in the UK who are really good. The stuff that is needed BEFORE the assessment is mad though. My hubby has just submitted a Statement of Service to the guy we are using along with loads more info. Thats just to get the assessment done!

How are you getting on with the Victoria University? Have you booked in yet? :unsure:

Sara

Guest jaime

General Skilled Migration visa assessment | Victoria University | A New School of Thought | Melbourne, Australia

This should give you all you need. We've actually got a few 457 sponsored opportunities on the cards atm, so have decided to go down this route instead. To be honest, we were so worried about paying out all that money for assessments, 176 state sponsorship and not making it in time for the new visa requirements in July. It was just too risky, as we don't seem to have enough points to pass after then! I think we may have just left it all too late after years of indecision.

Guest sara220184

My husband and I are fortunate in that we are both 27 years old and so I guess that helps us in a lot of ways. On the negative side we dont know what this change on the 1st of July will mean for us and how much it will drop our score by.

I dont know if my husband and I are taking the easiest route to be honest. We have just basically done what we have been told to do. We have been thinking that there must be a quicker, easier way though. I am expecting a 12-18 month wait for the visa to be sorted out and that isnt a problem. However I am really wanting to get this skills assessment done so that the visa can be applied for before the 1st July. Im trusting this company to do the job right but it seems to be one hurdle after another and I just feel sometimes that we have no chance! I would feel alot better if I was in control of it myself but this would be hard work as I dont know the system well enough!

Anyway, thanks for the link. WOuld love to know if anyone has actually done their skills assessment through Victoria Uni! I have yet to find someone!

Hope it all goes well for you. Just dont give up, esp if its what you really want. You will get it if you try hard enough and keep working at it!

Where are you looking to live if you get over???

Sara :cute:

Guest jaime

Hi Sara,

I am 33 and my husband is 35. We went on a reccie to Australia two years ago. We went to Sydney and travelled up the east coast to the Sunshine Coast. Sydney (especially Dee Why where we stayed was really a little bit of heaven to us). I know alot of people relocate to the Gold Coast, but we really didn't feel the love in that place, especially as we have two children and are looking for a slightly quieter life. We wanted to emigrate to Sydney, but my husband's occupation wasn't wanted there. He has had several job offers (sponsored) but nothing has materialised after months of chasing things up. He is now awaiting an interview to work on vehicles in the mines and we have been asked if we want to go to Mackay or Perth, so we are kind of at the point where we don't care where we end up, just as long as we get there! Where are you heading? Jaime x

Guest sara220184

Hi Jaime

We are looking at Adelaide. We want somewhere that has a bit of life to it but isn't too much. We originally looked at Melbourne but decided it would be far too big and would run the risk of been a bit of a culture shock to us. Adelaide provides everything we want as a family. It has the Adelaide Hills, the beaches and the city. It is very family orientated and relaxed and more than anything it is up and coming and so provides Graham with plenty of work opportunities. Graham hasnt applied for jobs yet as he needs to complete his skills assessment but as soon as he does it will be something we start looking at doing.

I would like to start a career out there in midwifery. I have looked at it over here but would rather just start from scratch over there.

Im still confused over this Victoria Uni stuff. The guy that we are using as our agent has emailed today to say that he is still waiting back from the Victoria Uni as to what the assessment involves. He emailed last week and has not had an answer yet. Im getting very frustrated as this as with the deadline of 1st July Im starting to worry that we wont get it done in time. No point looking at Vetassess as they have no more dates in the UK and even if one did come up we still wouldnt get it done in time.

So frustrating!!!!!!! Lol

Sara:v_SPIN:

Guest Yorkshire girl35
Hi Jaime

We are looking at Adelaide. We want somewhere that has a bit of life to it but isn't too much. We originally looked at Melbourne but decided it would be far too big and would run the risk of been a bit of a culture shock to us. Adelaide provides everything we want as a family. It has the Adelaide Hills, the beaches and the city. It is very family orientated and relaxed and more than anything it is up and coming and so provides Graham with plenty of work opportunities. Graham hasnt applied for jobs yet as he needs to complete his skills assessment but as soon as he does it will be something we start looking at doing.

I would like to start a career out there in midwifery. I have looked at it over here but would rather just start from scratch over there.

Im still confused over this Victoria Uni stuff. The guy that we are using as our agent has emailed today to say that he is still waiting back from the Victoria Uni as to what the assessment involves. He emailed last week and has not had an answer yet. Im getting very frustrated as this as with the deadline of 1st July Im starting to worry that we wont get it done in time. No point looking at Vetassess as they have no more dates in the UK and even if one did come up we still wouldnt get it done in time.

So frustrating!!!!!!! Lol

Sara:v_SPIN:

Hi Sara, dito dito dito

Looks like we are in the exact same position, im 35 my hubby 40 in june-hes a bricklayer,3 girls 13,7,3 we also are very worried about the new points sytem-we are told that after july 1st if you are over 40 that he would need proof he did an apprenticeship-he did do it but looks like the comp he worked for (or shal we say who used him) didnt register it, so we will be of the map after June-I think its now or never! like you im so worried we pay out all this cash and dont make it before July 1st, im looking at Victoria University right now! thats how it brought up your link, We went to a seminar on sunday & spoke to an agent, he knew all about the process-you have to go to a designated place and have a test via skype (need proof of who you are ect) before you can do this you need to do a test online www.vu.edu.au (also see visa page Update to Australian skills assessment process for tradespeople - VETASSESS / TRA ) im suprised your agent doesnt know this! I wasnt sure weather or not to use an agent-cost so much and not sure what they do really, decisions decisions, who are you using if you dont mind me asking. as i was saying your hubby will do the test at a "testing station" lol via skype, once they have done this & he passed you can then apply for your visa-which visa are you applying for, we sound so alike-when i read your thread i thought gosh its me! i also was looking at melbourne but the houses/costs n styles put me off and now for some reason are looking at adelaide-like you say seems child friendlier and more affordable, so Sara wot da we doooo! lol do we ring losing £3000 and trying for our visas or regret it for the rest of our lifes if we dont try??? keep in touch and we see how we both get on-goona look at the site bit more n find more out.:arghh::biggrin:

Guest sara220184

:jiggy:Hi!!!! Great that we are in the same situation as we can keep in touch while everything is going through. We are using a company who are based in Manchester called 'Concept Australia' as they are a smaller company and I am in direct contact with the two guys who manage the office there - Steve Hall and Martin Thompson. They are really good. A bit 'old school' maybe in that they want us to use Vetassess rather than Victoria University as they havent had an awaful lot to do with Victoria Uni with it being fairly new but they have left the decision completely down to us. If I were you I would DEFINATELY go via Victoria Uni. Concept Australia charge £1500 in total which is paid in 5 installments throughout the process. An initial deposit of £300 is needed for them to log your application. They send a load of forms to you to complete with regards your skills etc. They then require a $600 Australian dollar deposit for the Vetassess skills assessment deposit (Dont know how much this is with Victoria Uni - have a look on their website). I think Concept Australia prefer Vetassess as its the older system and everything is clear as to what the assessment stages are. Because Victoria Uni is newer there are still alot of unclear bits to the assessment. But like I said, if I were you I would defo do Victoria Uni. We havent decided 100% yet. I am in the process of making my mind up! I need to do it quick!

Adelaide looks fantastic and looks to have everything that we personally want as a family. It has the beaches but also the Adelaide hills for a bit of countryside. It is also very family friendly and not a massive city like the others. Think the actual city is about 1 mile in radius! I know its not big at all. The hosing is more affordable too and the wages are still good.

Ring Concept Australia and have a word with them. It took me ages to find them but I must say that they have been fantastic so far. They are in contstant contact with us and they reply to emails straight away. They will explain your options. You will be looking at a skilled migration visa like us. Their telephone number is 0161 234 6538. Let me know how you go on! It is a lot of hassle but Im sure it will be well worth it!!!

Sara :yes:

Guest tiddywiddy
Hi Sara, dito dito dito

Looks like we are in the exact same position, im 35 my hubby 40 in june-hes a bricklayer,3 girls 13,7,3 we also are very worried about the new points sytem-we are told that after july 1st if you are over 40 that he would need proof he did an apprenticeship-he did do it but looks like the comp he worked for (or shal we say who used him) didnt register it, so we will be of the map after June-I think its now or never! like you im so worried we pay out all this cash and dont make it before July 1st, im looking at Victoria University right now! thats how it brought up your link, We went to a seminar on sunday & spoke to an agent, he knew all about the process-you have to go to a designated place and have a test via skype (need proof of who you are ect) before you can do this you need to do a test online www.vu.edu.au (also see visa page Update to Australian skills assessment process for tradespeople - VETASSESS / TRA ) im suprised your agent doesnt know this! I wasnt sure weather or not to use an agent-cost so much and not sure what they do really, decisions decisions, who are you using if you dont mind me asking. as i was saying your hubby will do the test at a "testing station" lol via skype, once they have done this & he passed you can then apply for your visa-which visa are you applying for, we sound so alike-when i read your thread i thought gosh its me! i also was looking at melbourne but the houses/costs n styles put me off and now for some reason are looking at adelaide-like you say seems child friendlier and more affordable, so Sara wot da we doooo! lol do we ring losing £3000 and trying for our visas or regret it for the rest of our lifes if we dont try??? keep in touch and we see how we both get on-goona look at the site bit more n find more out.:arghh::biggrin:

Ive looked on the Victoria uni website, which it wont allow/aborts it!!! Anyway when I did manage to get a quick look before it aborted it, it is for Special Class Electricians, whereas my o/h is a general electrician!!! Spoke to Go Matilda today & they mentioned Vic Uni, so is the correct pass!!!!:unsure:

Guest sara220184

My computer aborts the content too. Not sure why?? I have been told that you can use either Victoria Uni or Vetassess for a general electrician. You are best to speak with an agent though to confirm this.

We still have not decided who to use as we have yet to come across someone who has used the victoria Uni system.

:unsure:

Guest Yorkshire girl35
My computer aborts the content too. Not sure why?? I have been told that you can use either Victoria Uni or Vetassess for a general electrician. You are best to speak with an agent though to confirm this.

We still have not decided who to use as we have yet to come across someone who has used the victoria Uni system.

:unsure:

Hi again Sara

I rang Concept Australia-i was really pleased & impressed with them so we have decided to use them, its much better that you can pay stage payments as well, so if you only get so far you havnt shelved out loads of money for nothing, they are sending all the forms today, he told me that even if we used vic uni (7weeks) we would still need to secure the state sponsership which could take a further 8weeks so be after june anyway, so we are just gonna pay for skills test for vetasses and keep our fingers crossed the new visa points doesnt knock us out, worth $600 i think :jiggy:

Guest sara220184

:yes:Fantastic News!!!!!!! They are really good. You get a bit fed up with the amount of stuff you have to complete but just keep plodding on and it will be ok. I will come back to you with the link to the Vetassess schedule. They havent any new dates for the UK as yet but these are expected at any time so keep checking!

Concept Australia have been great for us so far and they are so friendly. Nothing is too much trouble!!

Anyway, where abouts in Yorkshire are you from? We are from Wakefield. Well Ossett, 5 miles from Wakefield but depending on what part of Yorkshire you are from you might not know it.

My email address is grahamandsara@hotmail.com. Send me an email and we will keep in touch that way if you like!

Talk soon

Sara:cute:

You definitely have to obtain a positive skills assessment before applying for state sponsorship. Jaime.

Not always.

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com

hi guys im using concept too they are fantastic and really go to town on the info they ask you to collate for your paper based. Im a joiner with my own buisness and have just passed the paper based with a level one pass. I total agree with you about the comments about them not been very keen on the skype interview but they dont dissmiss it, I think there main issue is the time difference.To be honest it sounds like it would probably be faster than waiting untill the next test avalible in london but i would probably rather get more hands on in the test as actions speak louder than words,but im still undecided and am looking for a bit of direction and info on the skype technical assessment at the mo.Thanks for the link for victoria university ive looked at their pdf on the test requirements and units they look at, it looks very helpfull cheers.Im 36 live in hull with my wife and three boys and are looking to move to perth and cant wait to get out of this country. oh ps we've had many a good night round ossett we had some friends up there.

regards

shane and jackie